Dale Williams

Default TN: '91 389, '03 rose, '98 Graves, '03 Leitz

An early dinner on the patio Thursday, before Betsy had to head into city. Some
store-bought lobster raviolo with a fresh tomato/coriander sauce, and the 2003
Ch. Grande Cassagne (Costières de Nîmes) rosé. Strawberry punch, with apparent
RS and fairly low acidity, actually a bit blowsy. Not as good to my palate as
some previous years. B-

The following morning Betsy left for CA on an early flight out of JFK,by time I
got home from work that evening I was exhausted. I had 2 pheasant legs, and did
a quick braise on stovetop. Opened and decanted the 1998 Tourtou Chollet
(Graves). Round soft red fruit, barely identifiable as Bdx, not at all
Graves-like. Probably decent for it's $10-12, no more. B/B-.
*
Saturday I was home alone, with burgers on the grill and the 1991 Penfolds Bin
389 Cabernet/Shiraz (South Australia). Nose of chocolate and cedar, deep
blackcurrant and black plum fruit. Develops nicely in the glass, the cedar
showing some surprisingly young vanilla notes, the whole wine quite tasty.
Medium-bodied and mature. I saved most of the bottle, and later than night
tried a glass of the 2003 Joseph Leitz Rüdesheimer Klosterlay Riesling
Kabinett (Rheingau). Apples and white peaches, nice minerally finish. Sweet but
with balancing acidity. On Sunday had some nice white Burgs in the afternoon
(will be another post), that evening revisted the '91 Bin 389. Now after being
opened a day it tasted slow and old, lesson learned- next one will be consumed
in one sitting. B+/A- for first night. A glass of the Leitz held up much
better, nice wine. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a
good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where
it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy,
and certainly not of consistency.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Ian Hayward

Default '91 389, '03 rose, '98 Graves, '03 Leitz

Dale, have you tried any of the later Penfolds "premium" wines? 389, 707, 407, St.
Henri etc. I won't even mention Grange, I want to drink it, not talk about it! I am
trying to assemble a range of the better vintages, 1996, '98, 2001 for example, and I
wondered if you have any experiences and recommendations.

Regards,

Ian