JK

Default Visiting Washington State

I hope to be visiting Washington State in late August to mid September. I
hope to get at least a day near Woodinville and one near Yakima. It seems
that most of the wineries near Woodinville are only open on weekends, and
since I am unlikely to buy more than a couple of bottles I don't want to
make appointments.

Questions I have: Any tips on visiting those areas? Any good spots for
photographing vineyards? How is quality in recent vintages? When is
harvest expected?

Thanks,
Jerry

Jim Lovejoy

"JK" > wrote in :

> I hope to be visiting Washington State in late August to mid
> September. I hope to get at least a day near Woodinville and one near
> Yakima. It seems that most of the wineries near Woodinville are only
> open on weekends, and since I am unlikely to buy more than a couple of
> bottles I don't want to make appointments.
>
> Questions I have: Any tips on visiting those areas? Any good spots
> for photographing vineyards? How is quality in recent vintages? When
> is harvest expected?
>
> Thanks,
> Jerry

Ste. Michelle says "Our winery is open to visitors daily. . .We are only
closed on New Year's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day."

Their web-site is http://www.ste-michelle.com/index.cfm .

They also have a series of outdoor concerts at 2:30Pm or (not and) 7PM.

Columbia winery is open for tours and tastings only on weekends. The wine
shop is open daily. Webside http://www.columbiawinery.com

Of the two Woodinville wineries that I've visited, Ste. Michelle has far
the more impressive 'Chateau', and Columbai by far the more impressive Wine
Library.

From http://www.woodinvillewinecountry.com/ there are a bunch more
Woodinville area wineries, almost all open only on Weekends.

Regarding the date of harvest, from the Columbia Winery site, "average
opening of September 12th". Their 2003 Harvest started September 6th, and
if this year's weather pattern contingues, 2004 may well start earlier.
Before I saw this, I thought that harvest started later. So take it as the
earlier ripening grapes start being picked in early to mid September. I
think picking & crushing goes well into October.

The Woodinville wineries get most (nearly all?) are the vines outside the
wineries any more than show? of their grapes from Eastern Washington.

For the Yakima area wineries, I'd look at the Washington Wine Commission
website: http://www.washingtonwine.org

The trip planner feature maps wines by region, and also its own Calendar of
Events.

Personally, I prefer the wineries more toward the tri-cities area (Terra
Blanca, Yakima River, Hogue among others). But I'm sure there are people
who'd vote for the ones near Yakima.

If you are driving from Seattle to Yakima, check out SR 821 on the
Transportation web site. http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ Click on the "Traffic
and Roads" button on top. There is roadwork on it now. But if the chipseal
has been finished, and had time to set, SR 821 is a much more scenic route
to Yakima than SR 82, maybe go down via 82, on the ridge, for panoramic
views, and back on SR 821, following the Yakima River?

Remember that Seattle/Woodinville area and Yakima are two distinct
climates. Cross the mountains to Yakima, and the weather is often 20
degrees warmer. Prepare accordingly.

Welcome and have fun.

Jim Lovejoy

From http://www.woodinvillewinecountry.com/ there are a bunch more
[...]

cutecat

"Jim Lovejoy" > wrote in message
> "JK" > wrote in :
>
> > I hope to be visiting Washington State in late August to mid
> > September. I hope to get at least a day near Woodinville and one near
> > Yakima. It seems that most of the wineries near Woodinville are only
> > open on weekends, and since I am unlikely to buy more than a couple of
> > bottles I don't want to make appointments.
> >
> > Questions I have: Any tips on visiting those areas? Any good spots
> > for photographing vineyards? How is quality in recent vintages? When
> > is harvest expected?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jerry

I can appreciate that you don't want to "waste" winemakers' time, but the
people at JM Cellars and DiStefano's are really quite flexible about this
issue, and the wines offered for tasting there are much better than the
commercialized tourist-oriented rooms at St. Michelle and Columbia.

Another way to go is to visit the downtown Seattle Pike Place Market's
Tasting Room. This is a consortium of several very good wineries, and you
can get $5 and $8 dollar tasting series http://www.winesofwashington.com/
JM Cellars, Wineglass, and Wilridge are especially good.

Have fun! If you make it down to Pike Place lunch at Matt's in the Market
is a good choice.

cutecat