Rich R

Default Albarino

Last night went to my mother-in-law for some comfort food. My wife actually
made the food since Dorine (her mother) is recovering from hip replacement
surgery. I am not a wine snob, but I am very tired of NZ Sauvignon Blanc and
Cali Chards. So I brought Souto Major Albarino (12 USD). It was perfect with
a fleshy, fatter chunk of fish. Very slate and chalk. A nice kick in the
butt with acid. A perfect wine.

But the big story in my little, happy life is that my wife will take a month
breather from Chard, and will try my white recs. And since we eat much
lighter foods in the warmer weather, this should be fun.

But we do like chicken wrapped in Napa lettuce with Chalk Hill chard.. One
of my few indulgences.

Will report back.

Rich R.

--
The journey is the reward.

Rich R

"Rich R" > wrote in message news:...
> Last night went to my mother-in-law for some comfort food. My wife

actually
> made the food since Dorine (her mother) is recovering from hip

replacement
> surgery. I am not a wine snob, but I am very tired of NZ Sauvignon Blanc

and
> Cali Chards. So I brought Souto Major Albarino (12 USD). It was perfect

with
> a fleshy, fatter chunk of fish. Very slate and chalk. A nice kick in the
> butt with acid. A perfect wine.
>
> But the big story in my little, happy life is that my wife will take a

month
> breather from Chard, and will try my white recs. And since we eat much
> lighter foods in the warmer weather, this should be fun.
>
> But we do like chicken wrapped in Napa lettuce with Chalk Hill chard.. One
> of my few indulgences.
>
> Will report back.
>
> Rich R.
>
> --
> The journey is the reward.

Ken Blake

In ,
Sammy > typed:

> Albarino ... AKA Viognier, I think.

Sorry, no. Albarino and Viognier are two different grapes.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Sammy

"Rich R" > wrote in message
> Last night went to my mother-in-law for some comfort food. My wife

actually
> made the food since Dorine (her mother) is recovering from hip

replacement
> surgery. I am not a wine snob, but I am very tired of NZ Sauvignon Blanc

and
> Cali Chards. So I brought Souto Major Albarino (12 USD). It was perfect

with
> a fleshy, fatter chunk of fish. Very slate and chalk. A nice kick in the
> butt with acid. A perfect wine.
>
> But the big story in my little, happy life is that my wife will take a

month
> breather from Chard, and will try my white recs. And since we eat much
> lighter foods in the warmer weather, this should be fun.

Hi Richr

Albarino (forgive spelling): a Chardy drinker's....white(?). If I had to
give up Chardonnaay then this'd be top drop on my list as a replacement. AKA
Viognier, I think. And known for acidity, a bit like Chardonnay in fact :-).

All the best to Dorine btw.

regards
Sammy

larkin1734

Ken Blake wrote:
> In ,
> Sammy > typed:
>

>>Albarino ... AKA Viognier, I think.

> Sorry, no. Albarino and Viognier are two different grapes.

True, albarino and viognier are two different grapes. But roussanne and
viognier are the same (sometimes). :-)

http://www.jancisrobinson.com/jr405.htm
http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Ar...5,2927,00.html
http://www.planetgrape.com/casesofmistaken.htm

Sammy

"Ken Blake" > wrote in message
> In ,
> Sammy > typed:
>
> > Albarino ... AKA Viognier, I think.

> Sorry, no. Albarino and Viognier are two different grapes.

<hang head in shame/>

Oh yes! Dunno where that came from....they can taste pretty similar though
:-).

regards
Sammy

Sammy

"Ken Blake" > wrote in message
> In ,
> Sammy > typed:
>
> > Albarino ... AKA Viognier, I think.

> Sorry, no. Albarino and Viognier are two different grapes.

<hang head in shame/>

Oh yes! Dunno where that came from....they can taste pretty similar though
:-).

regards
Sammy

Mark Lipton

Sammy wrote:

>>Sorry, no. Albarino and Viognier are two different grapes.
>>

> <hang head in shame/>
>
> Oh yes! Dunno where that came from....they can taste pretty similar though

Sammy,
Have you ever tried any dry Rieslings from Australia or NZ? To me,
they bear the greatest similarity to the Albariños I've had. When I
mentioned that at a Spanish wine tasting a year or two ago, the
(Spanish) woman seated next to me said that there is some claim that
Albariño is a relative of Riesling (haven't checked that claim myself).

Mark Lipton
Sammy

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> Sammy wrote:
>
> >>Sorry, no. Albarino and Viognier are two different grapes.
> >>

> > <hang head in shame/>
> >
> > Oh yes! Dunno where that came from....they can taste pretty similar

though

> Sammy,
> Have you ever tried any dry Rieslings from Australia or NZ? To me,
> they bear the greatest similarity to the Albariños I've had. When I
> mentioned that at a Spanish wine tasting a year or two ago, the
> (Spanish) woman seated next to me said that there is some claim that
> Albariño is a relative of Riesling (haven't checked that claim myself).
>
> Hi Mark,

thanks for your message.

I have tried lots of Australian and a few NZ Rieslings. However, I haven't
tasted more than a few Albarinos but I can just about imagine what you mean.

I'll make some more effort but with the price of Albarinos and most Aus.
wine getting expensive for the (imo) not good ones, I'll find it hard to
stray from German Rieslings and lovely, cheap, French Viognier. Which ain't
Albarino but similar :-).

Just a thought: if Albarino is 'linked' to Riesling it might only do
Portuguese and Spanish producers harm. Not much kudos for Rieslings here al
UK.

regards
Sammy

Sammy