Earle Jones

Default Corkage Fee

What's the typical corkage fee these days? In the SF Bay Area it
can vary from about $5 up to $20 -- which I take as an invitation to
leave your wine at home.

And by the way -- if you bring a screw-cap wine, do they charge you
a 'screwage fee'?

earle
*

--
__
__/\_\
RobertsonChai

Earle Jones asks,

>What's the typical corkage fee these days? In the SF Bay Area it
>can vary from about $5 up to $20 -- which I take as an invitation to
>leave your wine at home.

In Napa-Sonoma wine country, corkage fees are typically the lowest in the
restaurant business---usually around $5 bucks.

I won't get into the protocols more than this, because obviously to refuse a
selection from a good restaurant wine list (where wines are priced fairly)
demands an explanation.

But sometimes an occasion requires a special bottle the restaurant can't
provide.

Local restauranteurs around here know this; and they also seek repeat business
from the wine community.

Winery owners, winemakers, and local trade people who entertain their clients
in Napa-Sonoma restaurants, with a special bottle, or a barrel sample, at lunch
or dinner, often get off scot-free from corkage charges.

However, common courtesy suggests that one should also order an additional
bottle off the list (or wine by the glass, at lunchtime).

Wine sales are a profit center for any restaurant, and if the wine list is
comprehensive and fairly-priced, corkage issues should not interfere with a
restaurant's justifiable desire to create an in-house wine/dining experience
coordinated with the menu.

Again, courtesy is paramount. If the wine being poured is a rare bottling or a
barrel sample, it's a good idea to offer a taste of the wine to the staff.

Above all--if you bring a special, rare bottle of your own, offer a taste to
your server, if not the staff.

You'll be pleasantly surprised when you get the bill.

--Bob
RobertsonChai

Earle Jones asks,

Corkage Fees Earle Jones Wine 21 04-06-2011 02:30 PM
corkage on Celebrity BAD NEWS Joseph Coulter Wine 3 29-01-2006 08:10 PM