Dale Williams

Default Viognier and acidity

Yesterday I was taking abreak from cellar-building, and picked up Betsy's
August issue of Food & Wine (a mag that sometimes has good recipes, but whose
wine coverage is limited despite name). There's an article by Lettie Teague,
the wine editor, re Califoria Viogniers. One phrase surprised me: "...both the
lean, crisp Viogniers and the big, lush varieties, all of which have firm
backbones of acidity, rich fruit...(blah blah)"

My (limited, it's not really my fave grape)experience of Viognier is that they
oft tend towards the flabby, though some show somewhat balanced acidity. The
idea that all Viogniers have firm backbones of acidity surprises me. I had a
sip of a Wiliam Roan at a 4th party last night, I wouldn;t have described it
that way at all. So have I just tried a misrepresentative sample?
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Tom S

"Dale Williams" > wrote in message
> Yesterday I was taking abreak from cellar-building, and picked up

Betsy's
> August issue of Food & Wine (a mag that sometimes has good recipes, but

whose
> wine coverage is limited despite name). There's an article by Lettie

Teague,
> the wine editor, re Califoria Viogniers. One phrase surprised me: "...both

the
> lean, crisp Viogniers and the big, lush varieties, all of which have firm
> backbones of acidity, rich fruit...(blah blah)"
>
> My (limited, it's not really my fave grape)experience of Viognier is that

they
> oft tend towards the flabby, though some show somewhat balanced acidity.

The
> idea that all Viogniers have firm backbones of acidity surprises me. I had

> sip of a Wiliam Roan at a 4th party last night, I wouldn;t have described

it
> that way at all. So have I just tried a misrepresentative sample?

Yes, I'd say that was a misrepresentative sample of wine _writing_! ;^)

Tom S

Mark Lipton

Dale Williams wrote:
> Yesterday I was taking abreak from cellar-building, and picked up Betsy's
> August issue of Food & Wine (a mag that sometimes has good recipes, but whose
> wine coverage is limited despite name). There's an article by Lettie Teague,
> the wine editor, re Califoria Viogniers. One phrase surprised me: "...both the
> lean, crisp Viogniers and the big, lush varieties, all of which have firm
> backbones of acidity, rich fruit...(blah blah)"
>
> My (limited, it's not really my fave grape)experience of Viognier is that they
> oft tend towards the flabby, though some show somewhat balanced acidity. The
> idea that all Viogniers have firm backbones of acidity surprises me. I had a
> sip of a Wiliam Roan at a 4th party last night, I wouldn;t have described it
> that way at all. So have I just tried a misrepresentative sample?

Nope. CA Viogniers have very limited acidity, at least by my standards,
which I think accounts for your problems pairing them with food (even
when they aren't flabby and overoaked).

FWIW, I recently rediscovered a cookbook that we picked up at an Oregon
winery a few years ago: "The Wine Lover's Cookbook" by Sid Goldstein --
director of marketing communications [whatever the heck *that* means] at
Fetzer: http://tinyurl.com/24rc2

In addition to some nice recipes, it also devotes quite a bit of space
to pairing foods with various grapes, including Viognier. Scallops
aren't mentioned among his pairings, though...

Mark Lipton
Ed Rasimus

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 16:39:32 GMT, "Tom S" >
wrote:

>"Dale Williams" > wrote in message
>> There's an article by Lettie Teague,
>> the wine editor, re Califoria Viogniers. One phrase surprised me: "...both
>> the lean, crisp Viogniers and the big, lush varieties, all of which have firm
>> backbones of acidity, rich fruit...(blah blah)"
>>
>> My (limited, it's not really my fave grape)experience of Viognier is that
>> they oft tend towards the flabby, though some show somewhat balanced acidity.
>> The idea that all Viogniers have firm backbones of acidity surprises me. I had
>> a sip of a Wiliam Roan at a 4th party last night, I wouldn;t have described
>> it that way at all. So have I just tried a misrepresentative sample?

>Yes, I'd say that was a misrepresentative sample of wine _writing_! ;^)
>
>Tom S

I'm with you guys. I've responded to the raves of Viognier with the
requisite sampling and found them unremarkable. I need more "stuff" in
my stuff. They're a nice, crisp, variation from SB, GV, PG, etc. but
not my cup of lush.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
John LaCour

Try a better Condrieu before you completely dismiss Viognier.

I like the Chateau St. Cosme.

-jal

"Ed Rasimus" > wrote in message

> I'm with you guys. I've responded to the raves of Viognier with the
> requisite sampling and found them unremarkable. I need more "stuff" in
> my stuff. They're a nice, crisp, variation from SB, GV, PG, etc. but
> not my cup of lush.
>

> Ed Rasimus
> Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
> "When Thunder Rolled"
> Smithsonian Institution Press
> ISBN #1-58834-103-8

John LaCour

"Ed Rasimus" > wrote in message

> I'm with you guys. I've responded to the raves of Viognier with the
> requisite sampling and found them unremarkable. I need more "stuff" in
> my stuff. They're a nice, crisp, variation from SB, GV, PG, etc. but
> not my cup of lush.
>

> Ed Rasimus
> Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
> "When Thunder Rolled"
> Smithsonian Institution Press
> ISBN #1-58834-103-8

Mike Tommasi

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 05:29:14 GMT, "John LaCour"
> wrote:

>Try a better Condrieu before you completely dismiss Viognier.
>
>I like the Chateau St. Cosme.

Indeed, those from Villard, Cuilleron, Gaillard, Vernay and Gangloff
are remarkable and have plenty of acidity to keep things balanced.

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail
Mike Tommasi

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 05:29:14 GMT, "John LaCour"
> wrote:

>Try a better Condrieu before you completely dismiss Viognier.
>
>I like the Chateau St. Cosme.

Indeed, those from Villard, Cuilleron, Gaillard, Vernay and Gangloff
are remarkable and have plenty of acidity to keep things balanced.

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail
lloyd

John LaCour wrote:

> Try a better Condrieu before you completely dismiss Viognier.
>
> I like the Chateau St. Cosme.
>
> -jal

One of my absolute favourite Condrieu's is the St. Cosme... just
explodes in your mouth! £37.50 for the last bottle i had though.

Lloyd

Viognier Michael Nielsen[_4_] Wine 29 01-05-2015 11:05 AM
"Traditionally, Old World wines tend to be earthier, with loweralcohol levels and higher acidity, while New World wines tend to be morefruit-forward with lower acidity and higher alcohol levels." aesthete8 Wine 0 08-08-2010 04:53 AM
Seeking an "Acidity of the Must 101" , or an Acidity FAQ Please.... herbeapuce Winemaking 3 17-06-2006 08:42 PM
Viognier?? [email protected] Wine 21 08-12-2005 08:27 AM
TN: value in a Viognier Mark Lipton Wine 2 30-09-2003 08:23 PM