Larry

Default sons/daughters & wine

Just read a post from Ron saying he drank his last 1975 Beychevelle
and I got to thinking. I wish I knew 20 years ago(as a 30 year old)
that I would be interested in drinking and collecting wine. I could
then have some really fascinating bottles in my cellar right now.

Do any of the group members encourage their older children to start to
collect even in a modest way?

Larry
Southern Ontario
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Larry,

le/on Tue, 29 Jun 2004 12:03:48 -0400, tu disais/you said:-

>Just read a post from Ron saying he drank his last 1975 Beychevelle
>and I got to thinking. I wish I knew 20 years ago(as a 30 year old)
>that I would be interested in drinking and collecting wine. I could
>then have some really fascinating bottles in my cellar right now.
>
>Do any of the group members encourage their older children to start to
>collect even in a modest way?

We don't have any children (readers of "Stand on Zanzibar" and those who
were adult in '67 may understand and perhaps sympathise), but I have two
nieces. My elder niece and her husband are both interested in wine and
blessed with palates and they received a decent dowry from my cellar for
their wedding. My idea was that they could discover the sort of wines they
liked and perhaps look to me to help out in deepening their collection.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
becker

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 12:03:48 -0400, Larry > wrote:

>Just read a post from Ron saying he drank his last 1975 Beychevelle
>and I got to thinking. I wish I knew 20 years ago(as a 30 year old)
>that I would be interested in drinking and collecting wine. I could
>then have some really fascinating bottles in my cellar right now.
>
>Do any of the group members encourage their older children to start to
>collect even in a modest way?
>
>Larry
>Southern Ontario

Larry,
My kids are not old enough yet however I have an 85 and 87 Montebello
in the cellar, the birth years of my daughters for their 21st
birthdays. Of course I am not going to give them, we are going to
open them !
bb
Ian Hayward

It is fortuitous that my elder son and I share a birthday, twenty eight years apart.
For his twenty first next year I have a 1995 Chateau La Marzelle Grand Cru Classe St.
Emilion put away, and I have just acquired a bottle (sadly only one) of the "best for
twenty years" 1998 Penfolds 407 which should be about right for our 30th/58th.
He is currently in his first year at Brasenose, Oxford, and is the only fresher on
the Oxford Union wine tasting team. As a consequence of this activity he comes into
contact with some pretty high profile representatives from the UK wine industry, and
he is showing signs of answering the question "What does one do with a history
degree?" by considering a career within the industry. So, collecting? Yes, I hope
so, and if he would like to invite his old dad to sample and advise, that will be
just fine.

Regards,

Ian

"Larry" > wrote in message
> Just read a post from Ron saying he drank his last 1975 Beychevelle
> and I got to thinking. I wish I knew 20 years ago(as a 30 year old)
> that I would be interested in drinking and collecting wine. I could
> then have some really fascinating bottles in my cellar right now.
>
> Do any of the group members encourage their older children to start to
> collect even in a modest way?
>
> Larry
> Southern Ontario

Bill Spohn

>Just read a post from Ron saying he drank his last 1975 Beychevelle
>and I got to thinking. I wish I knew 20 years ago(as a 30 year old)
>that I would be interested in drinking and collecting wine. I could
>then have some really fascinating bottles in my cellar right now.

The heck with the kids - you can buy old vintages now for less than the cost of
new ones that need years in the cellar! Of course I note that you are also in
Canada, which means that like me, you don't have access to wine
auctions.....damn!

Bill
(with maybe a case of 75 Beychevelle and Branaire left....)

Swooper

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 12:03:48 -0400, Larry > wrote:

>Just read a post from Ron saying he drank his last 1975 Beychevelle
>and I got to thinking. I wish I knew 20 years ago(as a 30 year old)
>that I would be interested in drinking and collecting wine. I could
>then have some really fascinating bottles in my cellar right now.
>
>Do any of the group members encourage their older children to start to
>collect even in a modest way?
>
>Larry
>Southern Ontario

*sniffle*.... nup. Both my boys (18 & 23) show NO hankering for wines
(despite my trying), and the girl (34), well, she is one of the Chardy
set, and occasionally quaffs an acceptable red. So I have my entire
cellar to myself..... ok... well a few bottles stowed for significant
grand children related events...:>)

Regards Matt
Bill Spohn

>We don't have any children (readers of "Stand on Zanzibar" and those who
>were adult in '67 may understand and perhaps sympathise)

Ahh - a Brunnerite!

I like The Sheep Look Up as well.

Must try and find them and reread them one of these days.
Mat

> *sniffle*.... nup. Both my boys (18 & 23) show NO hankering for wines
> (despite my trying), and the girl (34), well, she is one of the Chardy
> set, and occasionally quaffs an acceptable red. So I have my entire
> cellar to myself..... ok... well a few bottles stowed for significant
> grand children related events...:>)
>
> Regards Matt

And I always thought you would be in you early to mid-30's Swooper!
Shows the folly of making text-based impressions. ;-)

BTW, I am not in the family way, and don't anticipate being so for at
least 5 years. Maybe I should get in early.

Mark Lipton

Bill Spohn wrote:

> >We don't have any children (readers of "Stand on Zanzibar" and those who
> >were adult in '67 may understand and perhaps sympathise)

> Ahh - a Brunnerite!
>
> I like The Sheep Look Up as well.

But of course you mustn't forget the third part of his informal trilogy,
"The Shockwave Rider," which has the distinction (among several) of having
introduced the term "worm" to the world of networking...

> Must try and find them and reread them one of these days.

Still powerful stuff, as of my last read (years ago now).

Mark Lipton

Monika I. Neszvecsko

> *sniffle*.... nup. Both my boys (18 & 23) show NO hankering for wines
> (despite my trying), and the girl (34), well, she is one of the Chardy
> set, and occasionally quaffs an acceptable red. So I have my entire
> cellar to myself..... ok... well a few bottles stowed for significant
> grand children related events...:>)
>
> Regards Matt

Oh! Please adopt me!!! ))

Monika

Swooper

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 15:45:59 -0400, "Monika I. Neszvecsko"
> wrote:

>> *sniffle*.... nup. Both my boys (18 & 23) show NO hankering for wines
>> (despite my trying), and the girl (34), well, she is one of the Chardy
>> set, and occasionally quaffs an acceptable red. So I have my entire
>> cellar to myself..... ok... well a few bottles stowed for significant
>> grand children related events...:>)
>>
>> Regards Matt

>Oh! Please adopt me!!! ))
>
>Monika

lol...... don't tempt me...:>)

Hooroo......
Swooper

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 13:13:08 +1000, Mat <Ask@me> wrote:

>> *sniffle*.... nup. Both my boys (18 & 23) show NO hankering for wines
>> (despite my trying), and the girl (34), well, she is one of the Chardy
>> set, and occasionally quaffs an acceptable red. So I have my entire
>> cellar to myself..... ok... well a few bottles stowed for significant
>> grand children related events...:>)
>>
>> Regards Matt

>And I always thought you would be in you early to mid-30's Swooper!
>Shows the folly of making text-based impressions. ;-)

Hmmm..... so do my posts show immaturity..... or am I holding my age
well ?...:>)

Actually, interesting social scenarios have occurred as the daughter
is my wife's child from a previous marriage, and she is older than
me. When Becky (daughter) was younger, we copped some starnge stares.
I remember when Becky was 17 and wanted to see her fave band at the
local watering hole. She was too young to get in alone so I
accompanied her. The looks from some folks were priceless. Age
variation not being _that_ bad to make me look like a dirty old man (I
was very late 20's at the time), but old enough to see folks thinking
to themselves, what's the older guy doing with that gorgeous young
blonde. :>). This is OT, so, I DO remember finding a corner up the
back so as to not impinge on her independence and working my way
through a tried and tested aussie drop....Wirra Wirra's Church Block.
It couldn't have been too bad, as I do remeber being dragged to the
dance floor by Becky and her mates to dance to "Barnesy's screaming.

>BTW, I am not in the family way, and don't anticipate being so for at
>least 5 years. Maybe I should get in early.

Name is Mat ? I hope you are NOT in the family way, or medical
history would be re-written...:>)

Hooroo.....

Mat

> Hmmm..... so do my posts show immaturity..... or am I holding my age
> well ?...:>)
>
> Actually, interesting social scenarios have occurred as the daughter
> is my wife's child from a previous marriage, and she is older than
> me. When Becky (daughter) was younger, we copped some starnge stares.
> I remember when Becky was 17 and wanted to see her fave band at the
> local watering hole. She was too young to get in alone so I
> accompanied her. The looks from some folks were priceless. Age
> variation not being _that_ bad to make me look like a dirty old man (I
> was very late 20's at the time), but old enough to see folks thinking
> to themselves, what's the older guy doing with that gorgeous young
> blonde. :>). This is OT, so, I DO remember finding a corner up the
> back so as to not impinge on her independence and working my way
> through a tried and tested aussie drop....Wirra Wirra's Church Block.
> It couldn't have been too bad, as I do remeber being dragged to the
> dance floor by Becky and her mates to dance to "Barnesy's screaming.
>
>>BTW, I am not in the family way, and don't anticipate being so for at
>>least 5 years. Maybe I should get in early.

> Name is Mat ? I hope you are NOT in the family way, or medical
> history would be re-written...:>)
>
> Hooroo.....

No you must just be one of the hip happening dudes of the wine industry,
ala those two arty farty guys who always poo-poo the establishment in
Oz. Ben Canadier and Greg Duncan-Powell if I recall coreectly, big
mutton chop sideburns and trendy glasses. O and those wine books that
always talk about "smells like grandpa's shotgun after he shot a hare",
and on the palate is like Aunt Miggin's cattle dog after he'd been in
the horse bath. You know the ones.

Haha, that does sound like an interesting situation. So if she is 34
now, so that was 17 years ago, so u must be late 30-ishish. Well that's
a lot younger than 54-ish (ie had 34 year old at 20). So my assumptions
were correct. That's years of training for you.

O I could be a Mat-ilda. No I just meant with family. Not a bun in the
oven. I'm the Mat from Frankston way who always asks beginner questions
and about el cheapo (for this group anyway) wines from Dan Murphy's
(local wine seller). We've spoken before both in the group and via
email. I've been a bit too busy for actual converse in usenet, but
holidays u know.

So hello over there in the Dandenongs Swooper, and I hope the shop and
the vineyard (hehe) is going well.

Mat.

RV WRLee

>Do any of the group members encourage their older children to start to
>collect even in a modest way?

I have a 27 year old daughter who I nudged in that direction a few years ago by
giving her a few bottles from my cellar that needed to be drank and a few that
needed a few years. Her cellar has grown to about 75 bottles and I always give
her a case of mixed stuff when she and her husband visit. My 21 year old son
is on his way to law school and has storage issues but he has developed a good
palate over the years and our 16 year old is really getting a good into to
wine.
Bi!!
Earle Jones

In article >,
Larry > wrote:

> Just read a post from Ron saying he drank his last 1975 Beychevelle
> and I got to thinking. I wish I knew 20 years ago(as a 30 year old)
> that I would be interested in drinking and collecting wine. I could
> then have some really fascinating bottles in my cellar right now.
>
> Do any of the group members encourage their older children to start to
> collect even in a modest way?
>
> Larry
> Southern Ontario

*
My two daughters were born in '68 and '71. My son-in-law was born
in '66. I have several bottles from those years that I kept for
them -- just for the helluvit!

The '68 is a LaTour and that was a terrible year in Bordeaux.

earle
*

--
__
__/\_\

Earle Jones

*
My two daughters were born in '68 and '71. My son-in-law was born
in '66. I have several bottles from those years that I kept for
them -- just for the helluvit!

The '68 is a LaTour and that was a terrible year in Bordeaux.

earle
*

--
__
__/\_\
/\_\/_/
\/_/\_\ earle
\/_/ jones
Ken Blake

In ,
Earle Jones > typed:

> My two daughters were born in '68 and '71. My son-in-law was

born
> in '66. I have several bottles from those years that I kept

for
> them -- just for the helluvit!
>
> The '68 is a LaTour and that was a terrible year in Bordeaux.

The only 68 Bordeaux I've had was an Haut-Brion. I had it around
1985.

It was completely undrinkable--brown muck.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Earle Jones

In article >,
"Monika I. Neszvecsko" > wrote:

> > *sniffle*.... nup. Both my boys (18 & 23) show NO hankering for wines
> > (despite my trying), and the girl (34), well, she is one of the Chardy
> > set, and occasionally quaffs an acceptable red. So I have my entire
> > cellar to myself..... ok... well a few bottles stowed for significant
> > grand children related events...:>)
> >
> > Regards Matt

> Oh! Please adopt me!!! ))
>
> Monika

*
What year were you born?

earle
*

--
__
__/\_\
Earle Jones

In article >,
"Monika I. Neszvecsko" > wrote:

> > *sniffle*.... nup. Both my boys (18 & 23) show NO hankering for wines
> > (despite my trying), and the girl (34), well, she is one of the Chardy
> > set, and occasionally quaffs an acceptable red. So I have my entire
> > cellar to myself..... ok... well a few bottles stowed for significant
> > grand children related events...:>)
> >
> > Regards Matt

> Oh! Please adopt me!!! ))
>
> Monika