FoodBanter.com

-   -   Amateur wine maker magazine (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/24320-amateur-wine-maker-magazine.html)

Mike Kauzer 24-06-2004 04:58 PM

Amateur wine maker magazine

Can anyone suggest a magazine subscription that I could give as a gift
to my father who is going to try to become an amateur wine maker.
Thanks.

J. Harris 24-06-2004 07:55 PM

Amateur wine maker magazine

Two wine industry trade magazines in the USA that might be of interest
include "Wines & Vines" 800-406-5283 and "Vineyard & Winery Management"
707-836-6820. Where "Wines & Vines" is more general, "Vineyard & Winery
Mgt." is more academic IMHO.
J.Harris

om...

Tom S 25-06-2004 03:27 AM

Amateur wine maker magazine

"Mike Kauzer" > wrote in message
om...
> Can anyone suggest a magazine subscription that I could give as a gift
> to my father who is going to try to become an amateur wine maker.

I don't know about magazines, but you should direct him to the
rec.crafts.winemaking newsgroup. There are a lot of very knowledgeable
regulars there - some of them professionals. It's about as friendly as this
NG (which by Usenet standards is quite good).

Tom S

Kzinns2 25-06-2004 04:11 AM

Amateur wine maker magazine

WineMaker magazine should be just what you're looking for. Here's their
website: http://www.winemakermag.com/

JEP 25-06-2004 02:54 PM

http://www.winemakermag.com/

> >Can anyone suggest a magazine subscription that I could give as a gift
> >to my father who is going to try to become an amateur wine maker.
> >Thanks.

I've never been very impressed with WineMaker magazine, IMHO, there
are a lot of articles that just miss the mark.

"Vineyard & Winery Management" I find very good, but it may be a
little too technical for a beginner.

I would suggest a book on home wine making.

I'll echo Tom's comments about R.C.W. Great group of people at all
levels of wine making.

Andy

Tom S 26-06-2004 05:47 AM

Amateur wine maker magazine

"JEP" > wrote in message
om...
> I would suggest a book on home wine making.

Jon Iverson's book is a pretty good place to start.

Tom S