Dale Williams

Default TN: weekend wines (BdM, Bourgogne, PG)

Friday we had a bit of an al fresco vegetarian dinner, with the centerpiece
being a potato/asparagus salad with a tarragon vinagraitte, courtesy of a
Daniel Boulud recipe. Also corn, green salad, and beans. The 2000 Michelot Mere
Bourgogne Blanc was a steady if uninspiring accompaniment - pear fruit, light
oak, modest acidity. What more could you ask in a forgettable wine? B/B-

Saturday afternoon we went to a party for a school music program where Betsy is
on the board, the host likes Italian wines. When he saw me, he got out the good
glasses, and said let's open something good. I felt very awkward when a '92
Tuscan came out, what was I going to say about his prize possession? But
actually the 1992 Le Macioche Brunello di Montalcino shocked me. Certainly less
brawny than a BdM from a stronger vintage, but this wasn't a bad mature wine-
medium-bosied, with clear clean black cherry fruit, a hint of leather. Far
better than I anticipated, I was relieved to be able top (truthfully) say nice.
B/B+

That night we went to the city to meet my brother and his family, in town for
the weekend. A nice night, and we strolled over to 9th. Where to eat to satisfy
our foodie selves, as well as 12 & 7 year olds? Aha, the dependable Afghan
Kebab House. BYO, so we strolled to a (semi-seedy) wine store and got white
wine for my sister-in-law, and a deli for a beer. If I had thought we were
going to a BYO place,would have brought something differnent. But my SIL's
tastes are mostly CalChards and Pinot Grigios, so we tried the 2003
Tiefenbrunner Pinot Grigio delle Venezie. Nice acidity, clean and crisp,
flowers and pear fruit. Good wine, actually, B/B+

Used mostly for cooking over last week, the 2003 Villa Antinori Toscana was a
bit disappointing, even for an inexpensive bottle (by the way, doesn anyone
know if this is same wine they used to have as Orvieto?). Slightly overripe
apple fruit, short clipped finish, with an odd nose. B-/C+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a
good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where
it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy,
and certainly not of consistency.

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply