Joe Giorgianni

Default 2000 Ch. Larose-Trintaudon

Hi all,

Does anyone have any tasting notes or opinions on the above? I have a chance
to buy some at around $12 a bottle.

Thanks.

Joe

Dale Williams

Come to think of it, I have not seen the 2000 Larose-Trintaudon. Which is
weird as it's usually everywhere in most vintages (I seem to recall it's the
biggest estate in the Médoc?).

My general opinion is that in most vintages its an okay value at $10ish.
Somewhat traditionally-styled medium-bodied wine that in good vintage can age
for a few years. I'd try a bottle at $12 for the 2000, with some decanting
time, then determine if I wanted more.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Max Hauser

Default Larose-Trintaudon in general (was 2000)

A cross-post with historical reposts. (Not on the 2000 L-T, I haven't tried
it yet, but my notes on the 1999, and historical ones from earlier days of
wine on the Usenet.)

"Fred" also commented favorably here on 1999 L-T in two articles in 2003,
available by search.

The first notes are from a regional newsgroup and mention an outlet of a US
retail chain (Trader Joe's) discounting the price.

--
Subject: Red wine value
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:32:39 -0800

Trader Joe's has been dumping 1999 Ch. Larose-Trintaudon, from $15 or so
first to $10, then $6. (It's running out.)

I'm just trying some of it. Not bad for $6, solid light Bordeaux, what the
British trade calls, or anyway once called, a "luncheon Claret" (cool
old-fashioned name). Not as hard and woody as Larose in strong years but
very nice berryish fruit, vanilla from the wood, pretty drinkable, has a
couple of years of life.

I attach earlier excerpts from various dates on same producer from
net.wines, the Original Online Wine Forum (1982-86 when it changed to
rec.food.drink). Only a fraction of the articles are in the Google archive,
but these are there and reflect frequent contributors. (See Google for
more.) [I have access to independent archives of older online public wine
postings but I refer people to groups.google.com when also available,
because that currently is an accessible public Usenet archive. -- MH] Note
that "Trintaudon" is hard to spell, even without sampling it.

Charles Hunt, 22-Apr-85:
Newsgroups: net.wines

Right now, there are dozens of fine bordeaux available ... For small estates
(called "petit chateaux"), there are many available for <= $6; I personally
recommend: La Tour de By, Fourcas Hosten, Fourcas Dupree, Greysac, Larose
Trantadon, de Pez, Ormes de Pez, Marbuzet, Haut Marbuzet, Phelan Segur,
Carbonnieux, Smith Haute Lafitte, Plagnac, Bel-Air, ... they all have a
"Chateau" before the name to impress your friends, but are mostly really
just farms.

Beware the tricky French [deleted for brevity --MH]

Stephen P Pope, 28 Feb 86:
Subject: Cheap Bordeaux

I would like to add a few -- Ch. Larose Trintadoun, Ch. Le Crock, and Ch.
Potensac.

From: Charles Hunt, 3 Mar 86:

I forgot about Larose Trintadon (Haut Medoc). I agree that it's an
excellent Bordeaux for a modest price (the '78 is unreal... if you can find
it).

This chateau is owned by the firm which runs Marques de Caceres in the
Rioja-Alta of Spain. The similarities in style (despite the differing grape
varieties) is not coincidence. For a fun experience (when you have somebody
over for dinner), try a side-by-side comparison of the 1981
Marques-de-Caceres Red with a '79 or '81 Larose-Trintadon. It makes it
quite evident what a real bargain the Rioja is at only about 5 bucks per
jug.

Fred

"Max Hauser" > wrote in
:

> A cross-post with historical reposts. (Not on the 2000 L-T, I haven't
> tried it yet, but my notes on the 1999, and historical ones from
> earlier days of wine on the Usenet.)
>
> "Fred" also commented favorably here on 1999 L-T in two articles in
> 2003, available by search.
>
> The first notes are from a regional newsgroup and mention an outlet of
> a US retail chain (Trader Joe's) discounting the price.

I reinterate what I said before. I just bought another case of it just a
few days ago at TJ's for $9.49/bottle. There are much better wines out
there, but L-T is a great value.

Fred.
JEP

"Joe Giorgianni" > wrote in message >...
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone have any tasting notes or opinions on the above? I have a chance
> to buy some at around $12 a bottle.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Joe

No tasting notes, but a general opinion. I wasn't really impressed by
it, but I paid $18 USD. I think the 2000 Beaumont is better and has
better QPR, as does the 2000 La Louviere, but both of these were
bought on futures and the price was better than it is on store shelves
($10.50 and $22 repectively).

At $12 USD I think I would take a chance on a few of the
Larose-Tintaudon.

Andy