Leo Bueno

Default Wine scents kits

Trying to put together a kit of different wine smells (cherry,
strawberry, oak, peach, tobacco, etc.).

A while back I looked around and found some fairly expensive ones. I
am wondering whether I am better off contacting some chemical or food
additive companies and getting individual scents and making my own
kit.

I know I can get some of the scents at a local market, even though
each individual bottle is fairly expensive (about $5) and is much
larger than what's needed.

Suggestions please.

Mark Lipton

Leo Bueno wrote:
> Trying to put together a kit of different wine smells (cherry,
> strawberry, oak, peach, tobacco, etc.).
>
> A while back I looked around and found some fairly expensive ones. I
> am wondering whether I am better off contacting some chemical or food
> additive companies and getting individual scents and making my own
> kit.

Leo,
You could try an outfit like International Flavors and Fragrances,
but I doubt that they sell retail. I thought of doing the same thing
some years ago, but a lot of useful fragrances are hard to come by
(leather, for instance, or toast). The guy who does "Le Nez du Vin" did
quite a bit of experimentation to arrive at his current selection.
Whether that justifies the high price tag is another question altogether...

Mark Lipton
Steve Slatcher

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 11:11:30 -0500, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

>The guy who does "Le Nez du Vin" did
>quite a bit of experimentation to arrive at his current selection.
>Whether that justifies the high price tag is another question altogether...

Guess the market is open if anyone thinks they can do it cheaper.

This link is only of tangential relevance to the discussion so far
here, but I thought it might be of some interest:
http://www.decanter.com/news/48649.html

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher
winemonger

Mark Lipton > wrote in message >...
The guy who does "Le Nez du Vin" did
> quite a bit of experimentation to arrive at his current selection.
> Whether that justifies the high price tag is another question altogether...

Don't know if I think the high price was justified, but we do have a
lot of fun with this kit. And I have to say that after I began my
rigorous "training" with it, my ability to pick out the different
notes has improved quite a bit.
e. winemonger
Stevie Wonder

Hi folks,

I live in Germany and I recently came across this....

http://www.genussreich.de/artikeldet...TOKEN=99565786

I haven't (yet) spent much time on it apart from the odd
two-minute try-out with friends but it seems to be quite
interesting anyway

Cheers!

Steve

high end red wine kits [email protected] Winemaking 11 11-03-2008 06:42 PM
Bulgarian Wine Kits Steven Winemaking 0 11-10-2007 08:20 PM
Blending Wine From Kits JB Winemaking 4 01-09-2007 12:42 AM
Wine from kits Ronin Winemaking 14 03-11-2006 02:33 AM
wine kits.... Andy j. Winemaking 5 16-11-2003 06:35 PM