dick

Default OT Post..Red meat and white meat

Is a Veal Chop Red meat or white meat?
Is a pork loin red meat or white meat?
Is duck a red meat or white meat?
Is sashimi grade tuna red or white meat?

The discussion here centered around all 2 legged animals are white meat and
all 4 legged are red meat.

Or should this be classified based upon color prior to cooking or after
cooking?

This has been a major debate as I have totally bought the pork is the other
other white meat campaign going on in the USA for 15 or so years.

thanks in advance for any input.

Mark Lipton

dick wrote:
> Is a Veal Chop Red meat or white meat?
> Is a pork loin red meat or white meat?
> Is duck a red meat or white meat?
> Is sashimi grade tuna red or white meat?

Dick,
The most practical distinction between 'red' and 'white' meats
arises from the sorts of fats found in each. A good rule of thumb would
be that any mammal qualifies as 'red' meat whereas any bird would
qualify as 'white'. Tuna would probably not be either to most people.

Mark Lipton
dick

Ok...just so we are clear here...you side with my wife.:-)...

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> dick wrote:
> > Is a Veal Chop Red meat or white meat?
> > Is a pork loin red meat or white meat?
> > Is duck a red meat or white meat?
> > Is sashimi grade tuna red or white meat?

> Dick,
> The most practical distinction between 'red' and 'white' meats
> arises from the sorts of fats found in each. A good rule of thumb would
> be that any mammal qualifies as 'red' meat whereas any bird would
> qualify as 'white'. Tuna would probably not be either to most people.
>
> Mark Lipton

jcoulter

Mark Lipton > wrote in news:c90qel$6i8$1
@mozo.cc.purdue.edu:

> dick wrote:
>> Is a Veal Chop Red meat or white meat?
>> Is a pork loin red meat or white meat?
>> Is duck a red meat or white meat?
>> Is sashimi grade tuna red or white meat?

> Dick,
> The most practical distinction between 'red' and 'white' meats
> arises from the sorts of fats found in each. A good rule of thumb

would
> be that any mammal qualifies as 'red' meat whereas any bird would
> qualify as 'white'. Tuna would probably not be either to most people.
>
> Mark Lipton

That is why the color is not the detrmining factor so much as the tastes
imparted. Duck has a heavy rich taste that Turkey breast does not.
Chicken and many other birds go well with soft red wines so the red with
red rule is largely just aguide. Tuna is strongly flavored and, I think,
calls for soomething like a pinot.
Mark Lipton

jcoulter wrote:

> That is why the color is not the detrmining factor so much as the tastes
> imparted. Duck has a heavy rich taste that Turkey breast does not.
> Chicken and many other birds go well with soft red wines so the red with
> red rule is largely just aguide. Tuna is strongly flavored and, I think,
> calls for soomething like a pinot.

Agreed. I was referring to the health considerations (such as they are),
where people are often told to restrict their consumption of red meat. As
far as pairing wines goes, duck, goose, and most game birds qualify as
great red wine foods (roast chicken is to me a vinous tabula rasa), whereas
to me pork and veal call more for white and/or rosé wines.

Mark Lipton

dick

I agree with you.

I was looking for ammo to fight my wife with.

> wrote in message ...
>
> Dick, this sounds like the Asian concept of "hot" and "cold" (or yin and
> yang) foods. Personally, I would think of the meat compared to what color
> of wine goes best with it, therefore...
>
> dick > wrote:
> : Is a Veal Chop Red meat or white meat? ...White
> : Is a pork loin red meat or white meat? ...White
> : Is duck a red meat or white meat? ...Red
> : Is sashimi grade tuna red or white meat? ...White
>
> Now this doesn't imply these are the ONLY wines you can have with it,
> but merely how I would categorize this question. Much depends on how the
> foods are prepared and cooked.
>

> : The discussion here centered around all 2 legged animals are white meat

and
> : all 4 legged are red meat.
>
> What aout multipeds? And snakes?
>

> : Or should this be classified based upon color prior to cooking or after
> : cooking?
>
> This is where the cooking treatment enters into the equation.
>
> : This has been a major debate as I have totally bought the pork is the

other
> : other white meat campaign going on in the USA for 15 or so years.
>
> The pork board will be proud! You win a case of Trimbach riesling!
>

> (sorry! There's a song about evolution and men and fishes that popped into
> my head while answering this)
>
> Mark S

Mike Tommasi

On Wed, 26 May 2004 00:50:15 GMT, "dick"
> wrote:

>Is a Veal Chop Red meat or white meat?
>Is a pork loin red meat or white meat?
>Is duck a red meat or white meat?
>Is sashimi grade tuna red or white meat?

Regarding wine matches, while it is true that red meat tends to go
best with reds (but I have had duck breast with white...), it is not
so easy for white meats.

Fat content is an issue, pork will usually destroy a tannic red, the
fat turning the tannins into a nasty powdery grit in your mouth. Yet
pork goes well with a lighter red, especially some of these carbonica
maceration thingys, like I imagine some of the wines from new winery
Les Foulards Rougees, Jean Francois Nicq's domaine in Roussillon.

Tuna can be red or white, depending on species.

Mike

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail