Dale Williams

Default Store tasting, Antinori and Palmer

Saturday Zachys had a tasting of Ch. Palmer and Antinori. As usual, even more
scepticism than normal is required for my notes from small pours and no
knowledge of decanting.

2001 Alter Ego du Palmer (Margaux) ($45.99)
OK, surprisingly tannic. Fat and easy otherwise. B

1999 Palmer (Margaux) (110.00)
Pretty good, nice earthiness and cedar. B+

1997 Palmer (Margaux) (75.00)
Sweet fruit, clipped finish. B

1994 Palmer (Margaux) (75.00)
Surprisingly good, lots of cedary oak and tobacco. Rich cassis fruit. B++

1996 Palmer (Margaux) (105.00)
Surprisingly forward, balanced tannins and dark fruit. A-

1990 Palmer (Margaux) (160.00)
Perfumed nose, nice leather and tobacco. B+

2001 Villa Antinori Rosso Toscano(18.99)
This used to be the Chianti Classico. Now pourer says its 60% Sangiovese, rest
CS and Merlot. Thick, heavy, not my cuppa. B-/C+

1998 Antinori Badia A Passignano Chianti Classico Riserva(29.99)
This is more like it. Black cherries, violets, and leather, balanced acidity
and tannins. Oak is apparent, but seemingly integrated. Pretty good, with a
future. B+

1999 Antinori "Pian Delle Vigne" Brunello di Montalcino (63.99)
Not as dense as the '97 seemed at same point, but full-bodied. Balanced,
violets and dark fruit. B+/A-

2000 Antinori Guado Al Tasso (55.00)
Smooth and easy, oaky. Spice and ripe fruit. B

2000 Antinori Tignanello(55.00)
Also oaky, a little better acid balanced than the Guado. But short finish for a
over-$50 wine. B

2000 Antinori Solaia (119.00)
Very good, but big tannins really stand out. B+?

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a
good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where
it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy,
and certainly not of consistency.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply