annie

Default corkscrew

My daughter is working at a BYOB restaurant this summer, and I'd like to get
her a real nice corkscrew. It should be something she can carry around
easily. I'm interested in a quality product. Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks!!!

Bill

annie wrote:
> My daughter is working at a BYOB restaurant this summer, and I'd like to get
> her a real nice corkscrew. It should be something she can carry around
> easily. I'm interested in a quality product. Anybody have any suggestions?

Send me a name and address and I will mail her a brand new one for
free. They have a corporate logo but I don't think it will get in
her way at all. I might not get around to mailing it for several
weeks as I am operating out of a wheel chair with a broken leg.
Bill

dave

"annie" > wrote in message news:<xSzoc.36051$536.6632696@attbi_s03>...
> My daughter is working at a BYOB restaurant this summer, and I'd like to get
> her a real nice corkscrew. It should be something she can carry around
> easily. I'm interested in a quality product. Anybody have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!!!

I've always admired the better Laguiole wooden corkscrews from france,
but be sure to shop carefully. I have seen Laguiole products (from
the town of Laguiole) for less than $15 up to more than $100. The
cheap ones are poorly finished, and the more expensive ones are
beautiful works of craftsmanship and art.
Dale Williams

> I am operating out of a wheel chair with a broken leg.

Our sympathies! Perhaps you can find a bottle of Copain Broken Leg Viognier!
Feel better, quick recovery.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Michael Pronay

"annie" > wrote:

> My daughter is working at a BYOB restaurant this summer, and I'd
> like to get her a real nice corkscrew. It should be something
> she can carry around easily. I'm interested in a quality
> product. Anybody have any suggestions?

Laguiole 3004. The best pictu

<http://www.designagift.co.nz/Laguiole/3004-big%5B1%5D.gif>

I ordere mine from he

<http://www.meritageco.com/catalog/in...=product&produ
ct_id=21&category_id=3>

or

<http://snipurl.com/6dlb>

M.
Michael Pronay

Art Schubert > wrote:

> Which begs the question: Which manufacturers do the folks here
> consider the best for these style of corkscrews (i.e. "waiter's
> friend")?

Chateau Laguiole. Period.

M.
Michael Pronay

"annie" > wrote:

> My daughter is working at a BYOB restaurant this summer, and I'd
> like to get her a real nice corkscrew. It should be something
> she can carry around easily. I'm interested in a quality
> product. Anybody have any suggestions?

Laguiole 3004. The best pictu

<http://www.designagift.co.nz/Laguiole/3004-big%5B1%5D.gif>

I ordered mine from he

<http://www.meritageco.com/catalog/in...=product&produ
ct_id=21&category_id=3>

or

<http://snipurl.com/6dlb>

M.
pavane

"Michael Pronay" > wrote in message
> Art Schubert > wrote:
>
> > Which begs the question: Which manufacturers do the folks here
> > consider the best for these style of corkscrews (i.e. "waiter's
> > friend")?

> Chateau Laguiole. Period.

With money no object, yes indeed.
For those less willing to spend the US$100
or so required for a nice Laguiole may I
suggest the Pulltap, a good double-action
corkscrew at much nicer prices.

http://www.corkscrew.com/sales_pulltaps.html

pavane

Michael Pronay

"pavane" > wrote:

>> > Which begs the question: Which manufacturers do the folks
>> > here consider the best for these style of corkscrews (i.e.
>> > "waiter's friend")?

>> Chateau Laguiole. Period.

> With money no object, yes indeed.

Well, the question was clear and definite: "the best" ;-)

> For those less willing to spend the US$100 or so required for a
> nice Laguiole may I suggest the Pulltap, a good double-action
> corkscrew at much nicer prices.

Very good idea indeed.

M.

RV WRLee

>Chateau Laguiole. Period.

I concur.
Bi!!
annie

Thanks to all who responded!

I love the Chateau Laguiole Grand Crus with the wooden handles, but my they
are expensive! I just might get one anyway, but I do fear it getting lost,
stolen, or misplaced in the commotion of a BYOB restaurant.

I am surprised there aren't alternative choice in the $50 to $75 range.

"annie" > wrote in message
> My daughter is working at a BYOB restaurant this summer, and I'd like to

get
> her a real nice corkscrew. It should be something she can carry around
> easily. I'm interested in a quality product. Anybody have any

suggestions?

> Thanks!!!

Bill Spohn

>With money no object, yes indeed.
>For those less willing to spend the US$100
>or so required for a nice Laguiole may I
>suggest the Pulltap, a good double-action
>corkscrew at much nicer prices.

I disagree - the Laguiole is a nice yuppie toy, but the Pulltap is actually
better for the purpose of pulling corks, especially older crumbly ones. The two
step action puts much less stress on brittle corks.

In this case, The VW does a better job than the Mercedes.
Vilco [out]

Michael Pronay wrote:

>> Which begs the question: Which manufacturers do the
>> folks here consider the best for these style of
>> corkscrews (i.e. "waiter's friend")?

> Chateau Laguiole. Period.

I never heard this name before.
Is it the neme of a brand which
prodices only one style of corkscrew?
Which style?

Vilco

Vilco [out]

Vilco [out] wrote:

>> Chateau Laguiole. Period.

> I never heard this name before.
> Is it the neme of a brand which
> prodices only one style of corkscrew?
> Which style?

Pardon, I've seen the picture that you
linked here under...
Single action, then.

Vilco

AndrewC

"annie" > wrote in message
> Thanks to all who responded!
>
> I love the Chateau Laguiole Grand Crus with the wooden handles, but my

they
> are expensive! I just might get one anyway, but I do fear it getting

lost,
> stolen, or misplaced in the commotion of a BYOB restaurant.
>
> I am surprised there aren't alternative choice in the $50 to $75 range.

In as much as I don't go anywhere without mine I have also learned that it
goes right back into my pocket once the wine is open. People do steal and
lose corkscrews in the restaurant but the answer to the question "Can I
borrow your corkscrew?" is a resounding "No" and the waiters respect that.

AndrewC

Bill Spohn

>I beg to differ completely. I happen to open some 4000 bottles a
>year, and my last Laguiole survived for five years. I have yet to
>see *any* other brand with such a performance.

If sheer survival was the only criterion, Michael, you and I would surely be
very highly rated!

I would agree that the Laguiole is built like a tank and will outlast most
cheaper corkscrews, but I thought that the question was which one works better,
not longer.

I find that the two step screws are much better for dodgy corks, as they are
less likely to tear them, working at a better angle.

And if you are worried about longevity, for the price of one Laguiole, you can
buy a case of the other sort and replace them when they become shop-worn.
Young Martle

On 14 May 2004 05:21:50 GMT, Michael Pronay > wrote:

>I happen to open some 4000 bottles a year,
>M.

Does the blade ever require sharpening?

My favorite waiters friend has a sereated blade and doesn'tcut the
foil as smooth as it used to.

pavane

"Young Martle" > wrote in message
> On 14 May 2004 05:21:50 GMT, Michael Pronay > wrote:
>
> >I happen to open some 4000 bottles a year,
> >M.

> Does the blade ever require sharpening?
>
> My favorite waiters friend has a sereated blade and doesn'tcut the
> foil as smooth as it used to.

Both the knife and the tip of the worm can and should be
sharpened occasionally. I use a ceramic rod to sharpen
the knife in a conventional manner and to run the tip of
the worm up and down it; works wonders.

pavane

Michael Pronay

Young Martle > wrote:

> Does the blade ever require sharpening?
>
> My favorite waiters friend has a sereated blade and doesn'tcut
> the foil as smooth as it used to.

The Laguoile 3004 has a serrated blade, too. But as I almost
always tear off the entire capsule (most of our tastings are done
blind), I rather seldom need the blade, the tip is sharp enough to
do its work.

M.
Michael Pronay

"Vilco [out]" > wrote:

>>> Which begs the question: Which manufacturers do the
>>> folks here consider the best for these style of
>>> corkscrews (i.e. "waiter's friend")?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>> Chateau Laguiole. Period.

> I never heard this name before.
> [...]
> Which style?

Thread says it: "waiters friend".

M.
Bill Spohn

>but really fell more
>"à l'aise" with the geometry of my Lagiole, the upstroke being
>slightly longer than with the two-step waiters friend,

I agree that using a well made implement has an innate reward, and you have a
point - geometry will vary and there is no reason, I suppose, that a single
stroke screw couldn't be adequate for almost all corks.

I guess the ideal might be a two-step Laguiole, but I don't believe they've
offered that yet.

The whole Laguiole thing puts me in mind of pens. Some people like owning a
particular sort of pen for the presumed prestige it offers - yuppie toys. Other
people may value the same thing more from the functional point of view.

I own and use a couple of beautifully made Mont Blanc fountain pens (you have
to do something with all those gold card points and a man only needs so many
toasters), and I enjoy writing with them - I've been using fountain pens since
high school. I see people with Mont Blanc ball points, and I can't help
thinking that they could only want what is in essence a fancy cover for a
generic ballpoint refill for yuppie bragging reasons, as there is little
functional reason to prefer such a pen.

The Laguile corkscrews are an intermediate case. The workmanship is admirable
and they are worth some appreciation as objets d'art, but they also function
(old crumbly corks aside for the moment) exceedingly well.

It makes me a bit nervous however when I see the yuppie wine fans pulling their
high end Laguioles from their custom leather cases in which they carry them
everywhere, never wanting to miss an opportunity to impress each other.

I suppose that I should not allow the fact that some people do that to
influence me or tempt me to class them in with other useless yuppie flash, as
they are really much more like a Mont Blanc fountain pen than a Mont Blanc
ballpoint......

dick

Well, I am embarrassed to say that I am fascinated with them. The laguioles.
I bought a set of steak knives in Beaune that were indeed expensive. They
were surgical quality. We bought 2 boxes of 6 ea.

Then I bought several wine openers.

Lets face the truth. I did not need them. I did it for the same reason men
do everything. When I bought the steak knives for an anniversary 5 years
ago my wife gave me that special thank you.:-)

I kept buying more and more cork openers looking for the same effect. What
I did not connect was it was the wine she was drinking that really put her
in the mood.

Since this is a non commercial group I will not put my not needed laguiole 5
that I own plus a picnic knife up for sale. I do enjoy them and they really
do perform better than any waiters tool I have ever used.

Like Rabbi Chris Rock said "If men can screw in a trailer they wouldn't
bother to buy a house."

Enjoy

Pretentious Dick

"Bill Spohn" > wrote in message
> >but really fell more
> >"à l'aise" with the geometry of my Lagiole, the upstroke being
> >slightly longer than with the two-step waiters friend,

> I agree that using a well made implement has an innate reward, and you

have a
> point - geometry will vary and there is no reason, I suppose, that a

single
> stroke screw couldn't be adequate for almost all corks.
>
> I guess the ideal might be a two-step Laguiole, but I don't believe

they've
> offered that yet.
>
> The whole Laguiole thing puts me in mind of pens. Some people like owning

> particular sort of pen for the presumed prestige it offers - yuppie toys.

Other
> people may value the same thing more from the functional point of view.
>
> I own and use a couple of beautifully made Mont Blanc fountain pens (you

have
> to do something with all those gold card points and a man only needs so

many
> toasters), and I enjoy writing with them - I've been using fountain pens

since
> high school. I see people with Mont Blanc ball points, and I can't help
> thinking that they could only want what is in essence a fancy cover for a
> generic ballpoint refill for yuppie bragging reasons, as there is little
> functional reason to prefer such a pen.
>
> The Laguile corkscrews are an intermediate case. The workmanship is

admirable
> and they are worth some appreciation as objets d'art, but they also

function
> (old crumbly corks aside for the moment) exceedingly well.
>
> It makes me a bit nervous however when I see the yuppie wine fans pulling

their
> high end Laguioles from their custom leather cases in which they carry

them
> everywhere, never wanting to miss an opportunity to impress each other.
>
> I suppose that I should not allow the fact that some people do that to
> influence me or tempt me to class them in with other useless yuppie flash,

as
> they are really much more like a Mont Blanc fountain pen than a Mont Blanc
> ballpoint......

dick

Addendum: My wife calls me the cork dork.

Secondly: There is a historical interest in these pieces of usable art.
The ones I bought were made in the same village by the same family line that
made Napoleons swords.

I think these are my Waterloo.

"dick" > wrote in message
link.net...
> [...]

> > The Laguile corkscrews are an intermediate case. The workmanship is

> admirable
> > and they are worth some appreciation as objets d'art, but they also

> function
> > (old crumbly corks aside for the moment) exceedingly well.
> >
> > It makes me a bit nervous however when I see the yuppie wine fans

pulling
> their
> > high end Laguioles from their custom leather cases in which they carry

> them
> > everywhere, never wanting to miss an opportunity to impress each other.
> >
> > I suppose that I should not allow the fact that some people do that to
> > influence me or tempt me to class them in with other useless yuppie

flash,
> as
> > they are really much more like a Mont Blanc fountain pen than a Mont

annie

Well, this thread has taken an interesting turn! Exactly which "thank you"
did you get?

"dick" > wrote in message
link.net...

> Lets face the truth. I did not need them. I did it for the same reason

men
> do everything. When I bought the steak knives for an anniversary 5 years
> ago my wife gave me that special thank you.:-)
>
> I kept buying more and more cork openers looking for the same effect.

dick

Since the thread is indeed G Rated you will have to use the ole imagination.

"annie" > wrote in message
> Well, this thread has taken an interesting turn! Exactly which "thank

you"
> did you get?
>
> "dick" > wrote in message
> link.net...
> >
> > Lets face the truth. I did not need them. I did it for the same reason

> men
> > do everything. When I bought the steak knives for an anniversary 5

years
> > ago my wife gave me that special thank you.:-)
> >
> > I kept buying more and more cork openers looking for the same effect.

Bill Spohn

>Since the thread is indeed G Rated you will have to use the ole imagination.

Ahem - I believe he is alluding to the fact that the cork wasn't the only thing
that got......well you get the picture.

BTW - do they make a left handed thread corkscrew for lefties? Presumably a
left hand spiral would be more comfortable for those with sinister tendencies
to wind into a cork widdershins?
dick

Funny you should ask that since I am a lefty. The answer when I asked
was.....NO.

"Bill Spohn" > wrote in message
> >Since the thread is indeed G Rated you will have to use the ole

imagination.

> Ahem - I believe he is alluding to the fact that the cork wasn't the only

thing
> that got......well you get the picture.
>
> BTW - do they make a left handed thread corkscrew for lefties? Presumably

> left hand spiral would be more comfortable for those with sinister

tendencies
> to wind into a cork widdershins?

pavane

"dick" > wrote in message
link.net...
> Funny you should ask that since I am a lefty. The answer when I asked
> was.....NO.

Quite a few, actually,,,

http://www.corkscrew.com/sales_monop...ndle_left.html

https://shop.anythingleft-handed.co....w&kw=corkscrew

http://andersonlefthandside.com.au/k...corkscrews.htm

pavane

dick

But not Laguiole for Chateau Laguiole.

"pavane" > wrote in message
om...

> "dick" > wrote in message
> link.net...
> > Funny you should ask that since I am a lefty. The answer when I asked
> > was.....NO.
> >

> Quite a few, actually,,,
>
> http://www.corkscrew.com/sales_monop...ndle_left.html

https://shop.anythingleft-handed.co....w&kw=corkscrew

> http://andersonlefthandside.com.au/k...corkscrews.htm
>

> pavane

pavane

Can't you simply turn the bottle upside-down and insert the
(previously) right-handed Laguiole into the cork pointing
upwards with your left hand, thus creating a left-handed Laguiole??

This seems an easy enough solution, eh?

pavane

"dick" > wrote in message
link.net...
> But not Laguiole for Chateau Laguiole.
>

> "pavane" > wrote in message
> om...
> >
> > "dick" > wrote in message
> > link.net...
> > > Funny you should ask that since I am a lefty. The answer when I asked
> > > was.....NO.
> > >

> > Quite a few, actually,,,
> >
> > http://www.corkscrew.com/sales_monop...ndle_left.html

https://shop.anythingleft-handed.co....w&kw=corkscrew

> > http://andersonlefthandside.com.au/k...corkscrews.htm
> >

> > pavane

dick

That is my secret...thats exactly what I do. Thanks for telling everyone:-)

"pavane" > wrote in message
om...
> Can't you simply turn the bottle upside-down and insert the
> (previously) right-handed Laguiole into the cork pointing
> upwards with your left hand, thus creating a left-handed Laguiole??
>
> This seems an easy enough solution, eh?
>
> pavane
>

> "dick" > wrote in message
> link.net...
> > But not Laguiole for Chateau Laguiole.
> >

> > "pavane" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > >
> > > "dick" > wrote in message
> > > link.net...

asked

> > > Quite a few, actually,,,
> > >
> > > http://www.corkscrew.com/sales_monop...ndle_left.html

https://shop.anythingleft-handed.co....w&kw=corkscrew

> > > http://andersonlefthandside.com.au/k...corkscrews.htm
> > >

> > > pavane

Anders Tørneskog

"pavane" > skrev i melding
om...
> Can't you simply turn the bottle upside-down and insert the
> (previously) right-handed Laguiole into the cork pointing
> upwards with your left hand, thus creating a left-handed Laguiole??

I'm lefthanded and see absolutely no problem in holding the bottle with my
right hand, inserting the corkscrew with my left and screwing it in
clockwise, still with the left hand, then pulling the cork and finally
pouring the wine using my left hand.
So, what's the problem?
Anders

pavane

"Mathew Kagis" > wrote in message

> "dick" > wrote in message
> link.net...
> > That is my secret...thats exactly what I do. Thanks for telling

> everyone:-)
> >

> > "pavane" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > Can't you simply turn the bottle upside-down and insert the
> > > (previously) right-handed Laguiole into the cork pointing
> > > upwards with your left hand, thus creating a left-handed Laguiole??
> > >
> > > This seems an easy enough solution, eh?

> Wait....what about sediment? & doesn't wine spill all over the place when
> you pull the cork on that upsidown bottle?

You have to do it quickly.

dick

Keeps the cork most right until open too :-)

"pavane" > wrote in message
.com...

> "Mathew Kagis" > wrote in message
> >
> > "dick" > wrote in message
> > link.net...
> > > That is my secret...thats exactly what I do. Thanks for telling

> > everyone:-)
> > >

> > > "pavane" > wrote in message
> > > om...

> > Wait....what about sediment? & doesn't wine spill all over the place

when
> > you pull the cork on that upsidown bottle?
> >

> You have to do it quickly.

Ken Blake

In ,
Anders Tørneskog > typed:

> "pavane" > skrev i melding
> om...

>> Can't you simply turn the bottle upside-down and insert the
>> (previously) right-handed Laguiole into the cork pointing
>> upwards with your left hand, thus creating a left-handed

Laguiole??

> I'm lefthanded and see absolutely no problem in holding the

bottle
> with my right hand, inserting the corkscrew with my left and

screwing
> it in clockwise, still with the left hand, then pulling the

cork and
> finally pouring the wine using my left hand.
> So, what's the problem?

Since one has to screw the corkscrew into the cork, then out of
it again, we *all*, regardless of our handedness, have to do it
in both directions every time.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Help: My corkscrew broke [email protected] General Cooking 25 26-12-2007 03:05 AM
This Isn't A Corkscrew, Is It? Mark Thorson General Cooking 12 04-10-2007 05:46 AM
Oster Corkscrew Fred[_2_] Wine 0 30-09-2007 10:35 AM
Corkscrew Bubba Wine 1 25-07-2005 04:12 AM
Zoom Corkscrew Snowfeet1 General Cooking 1 17-11-2003 09:14 AM