Dale Williams

Default TN: Chante Perdrix and Mugnier, with duck

A friend came over last night, Betsy made her old standby recipe of duck legs
slow-cooked with a mustard-crust, along with green beans and mashed potatoes.
The mustard effect is quite mild, and my duck-standard Burg works well with
this, but I also opened a Rhône:

1999 Chante Perdrix (Chteauneuf-du-Pape)
Fairly fleshy CdP, peppery red fruit nose, then framboise fruit with a pleasant
herbal edge. Tannins still a bit overt, this probably needs quite a bit of
time, but its immaterial to me as I think I only have the one. Too bad. B/B+

1997 Jacques-Frédéric Mugnier Chambolle-Musigny
Nice perfumed nose of violets and cherries. Clean red fruit, delicate somewhat
feminine wine. Could use a bit more concentration, but quite nice for a village
wine from a so-so vintage. Fully mature. B+/A-

Some other friends just got back from 6 months in Paris (he's French), our
friend Dolores hadn't seen since their return, we invited them for cheese and
dessert. The Chante Perdrix smoothed out a bit, the Chambolle seemed to fade by
end (it had only been open about 4 hours by that point).

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a
good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where
it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy,
and certainly not of consistency.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Bill Spohn

>Betsy made her old standby recipe of duck legs
>slow-cooked with a mustard-crust,

Recipe request!!
Dale Williams

>Recipe request!!

Actually, she says this one isn't as slowcooked as some of her other duck
recipes(which are more like 3.5 hours at low heat).

This one from Madeleine Kamman is quite simple:
season legs well
coat with layer of Dijon mustard
Coat with bread crumbs (Bets uses panko)
drizzle with melted butter
Roast at 375°F for 2 hours
Fat cooks away, mustard's pungency does too, skin is crisp. Recipe doesn't say
so, but I think Bets broils for a minute at very end.

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Bill Spohn