Xyzsch

Default Is J. Lohr for Real?

>Used to be that way in the US, long ago. In most states I believe that
>the left lane is still recommended for passing, but in France it is a
>violation
>to travel in it.
>
>-E

If you ride in the left lane in the US, people just bear down on you. So you
are forced to move over. Those who don't let people pass can be ticketed (five
car rule on two lane roads). But if you drive 85 MPH in the left lane, no one
will bother you.

Tom Schellberg
Anders Tørneskog

"RV WRLee" > skrev i melding
> ... I always find it
> much more difficult in the UK to drive on the left! I continually must

tell
> myself, over and over,...."body in the center, body in the center",

especially
> when making a turn or pulling into parking lot. If as the driver, you

keep
> yourself nearest the centerline, you'll be on the correct side of the

road.
Not if you drive an European car... We have the steering wheel on the left
side, you know.
:-) Anders

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Tom,

le/on 08 May 2004 05:21:52 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>>In France, in general those on the roundabout have priority. They are marked
>>accordingly. The "priority to the right" rule has almost entirely been
>>abandoned.

>I want to make sure I am understanding the jargon. In France, those in a
>traffic circle have the right of way, correct? The two terms you use are
>entirely foreign to me. Maybe they are British English.

English, rather than American, you mean. (;-))) GD&R)

Priority means right of way, yes. I've not met your word "Traffic circle" so
I have no idea what it is. In France (now the Brits have started removing
them) they have recently started building what they call "Rondpoint" and
what the British (who invented them) call "roundabouts". Roads meet at a
more or less large circle, with a central island. Traffic moves in an
anti-clockwise (UK clockwise) direction around them. Right of way at them is
usually decided by road markings and signs. In general, however, When there
ISN'T a road marking, you give way to the vehicle on your right.

However, it is the norm that at roundabouts, right of way belongs to the
vehicle already on the roundabout, this violating the _general_ rule (when
road markings don't over-ride it) that right of way belongs to the vehicle
on the right. If you think about it, traffic circulating widdershins on a
roundabout will find all the other roads around it on their right. However,
I HAVE seen rondpoints in France where not only is there "normal" right of
way (thus you have to give way to traffic entering), but others where there
are traffic lights AND "normal" priority too!!!

While "priority to the right" is a simple rule, it can be a touch - err -
"academic", when a driveway enters a derestricted through route for example.

In this area, for example, we have some really tiny roads entering a "route
nationale" - the equivalent of an interstate. Well priorité à droite means
that any car on a side road to my right as I barrel down the main road at 60
mph can enter the main road _without even LOOKING_ my way. This was a
fruitful source of road deaths, so now road junctions on all but the most
minor country roads and in town are prioritised. I would guess that France
is gradually going over to a system of priority by sign, rather than the old
system.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
dick

Imagine doing these with to much wine in your system.

Now its on topic too :-))))
"Ian Hoare" > wrote in message
> Salut/Hi Tom,
>
> le/on 08 May 2004 05:21:52 GMT, tu disais/you said:-
>
> >>In France, in general those on the roundabout have priority. They are

marked
> >>accordingly. The "priority to the right" rule has almost entirely been
> >>abandoned.

> >I want to make sure I am understanding the jargon. In France, those in a
> >traffic circle have the right of way, correct? The two terms you use are
> >entirely foreign to me. Maybe they are British English.

> English, rather than American, you mean. (;-))) GD&R)
>
> Priority means right of way, yes. I've not met your word "Traffic circle"

so
> I have no idea what it is. In France (now the Brits have started removing
> them) they have recently started building what they call "Rondpoint" and
> what the British (who invented them) call "roundabouts". Roads meet at a
> more or less large circle, with a central island. Traffic moves in an
> anti-clockwise (UK clockwise) direction around them. Right of way at them

is
> usually decided by road markings and signs. In general, however, When

there
> ISN'T a road marking, you give way to the vehicle on your right.
>
> However, it is the norm that at roundabouts, right of way belongs to the
> vehicle already on the roundabout, this violating the _general_ rule (when
> road markings don't over-ride it) that right of way belongs to the vehicle
> on the right. If you think about it, traffic circulating widdershins on a
> roundabout will find all the other roads around it on their right.

However,
> I HAVE seen rondpoints in France where not only is there "normal" right of
> way (thus you have to give way to traffic entering), but others where

there
> are traffic lights AND "normal" priority too!!!
>
> While "priority to the right" is a simple rule, it can be a touch - err -
> "academic", when a driveway enters a derestricted through route for

example.

> In this area, for example, we have some really tiny roads entering a

"route
> nationale" - the equivalent of an interstate. Well priorité à droite means
> that any car on a side road to my right as I barrel down the main road at

60
> mph can enter the main road _without even LOOKING_ my way. This was a
> fruitful source of road deaths, so now road junctions on all but the most
> minor country roads and in town are prioritised. I would guess that France
> is gradually going over to a system of priority by sign, rather than the

old
> system.
>

> --
> All the Best
> Ian Hoare
> http://www.souvigne.com
> mailbox full to avoid spam. try me at website

JEP

Emery Davis > wrote in message >...

> France is not the only place to have rules and then abrogate them
> by putting a sign at every intersection. I was living in Boston when
> the "right on red" was adopted in Mass, I'd swear there wasn't an
> intersection without a "no turn on red" sign, even when the new law
> made perfect sense.

You will be happy to hear that most of them have been taken down
unless it is an intersection where it is difficult to see the cars
coming from the left.

> Probably DMVs everywhere are populated by some strange race that
> delights in confonding the rest of us...

Did you know there is also a "left on red" law in MA? If you are on a
one way road, turning left onto a one way road, you may turn left on
red after stopping and yielding(as long as turning left does make you
go the wrong way down the one way road). That confused me the first
time a had a car beeping at me because I wasn't turning left at a red
light.

Andy
Roy

Default Turns on red [Was: Is J. Lohr for Real?]

JEP wrote:

> Did you know there is also a "left on red" law in MA? If you are on a
> one way road, turning left onto a one way road, you may turn left on
> red after stopping and yielding(as long as turning left does make you
> go the wrong way down the one way road). That confused me the first
> time a had a car beeping at me because I wasn't turning left at a red
> light.

And just to show a bit of variety, in Oregon and Washington and are on a _two-way_ street, you can turn left
onto a one-way street at a red light (if it's going in that direction). 'Course not everyone is aware of
this, so you often sit behind someone at a light who doesn't know this lovely little jewel and insists on
waiting until the light changes. (And honking'd have no effect because they'd have _no_ idea what you were
going on about.) It's good for scaring the bejeezus out of a passenger occasionally, too. :-)

--
Regards,

- Roy

=*=*=
Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
The truth is rarely pure, and never simple. - Oscar Wilde

dick

Thought it was Right on Red in Florida unless otherwise posted.

"pavane" > wrote in message
m...

> > JEP wrote:
> >
> > > Did you know there is also a "left on red" law in MA? If you are on a
> > > one way road, turning left onto a one way road, you may turn left on
> > > red after stopping and yielding(as long as turning left does make you
> > > go the wrong way down the one way road). That confused me the first
> > > time a had a car beeping at me because I wasn't turning left at a red
> > > light.

> Also in Florida, fwiw...

pavane

Both

"dick" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Thought it was Right on Red in Florida unless otherwise posted.
>

> "pavane" > wrote in message
> m...

you

red

> > Also in Florida, fwiw...

Mark Willstatter

"pavane" > wrote in message om>...
> > JEP wrote:
> >
> > > Did you know there is also a "left on red" law in MA? If you are on a
> > > one way road, turning left onto a one way road, you may turn left on
> > > red after stopping and yielding(as long as turning left does make you
> > > go the wrong way down the one way road). That confused me the first
> > > time a had a car beeping at me because I wasn't turning left at a red
> > > light.

> Also in Florida, fwiw...

And in CA - everything people said about MA, WA and OR so far is true here, too.

Ken Blake

In om,
Mark Willstatter > typed:

> "pavane" > wrote in message
> om>...

you are

may

turning

road). That

because I

>> Also in Florida, fwiw...

> And in CA -

And in NY. It's probably true in all, or at least most US States.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Roy

Ken Blake wrote:

> In om,
> Mark Willstatter > typed:
>
> > "pavane" > wrote in message
> > om>...

> you are

> may

> turning

> road). That

> because I
> >> >

> >> Also in Florida, fwiw...

> > And in CA -

> And in NY. It's probably true in all, or at least most US States.

The turning left from a one-way onto a one-way I believe _is_ pretty
standard. The turning left from a two-way onto a one-way is a fair bit
more rare. Last I knew, CA didn't have that, for example.

--
Regards,

- Roy

=*=*=

Is this real tea? Gyorgy Sajo Tea 7 01-07-2008 06:57 AM
International Real Estate Directory -Find Real Estate, MyDirectory General Cooking 0 28-12-2006 10:04 PM
Gourmandia - Real Food Website for Real People [email protected] General Cooking 3 22-12-2006 01:27 PM
FS: Real Bicycle Seats for Real People! [email protected] Marketplace 0 22-02-2006 11:30 PM
TN: Midnight Plane from GA (Lohr, Quintessa, de Forville, etc) Dale Williams Wine 3 30-11-2004 08:28 PM