FoodBanter.com

-   -   Varietal or Appellation (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/24024-varietal-appellation.html)

Ivan Debono 28-04-2004 10:04 AM

Varietal or Appellation

Hi all,

I'm no wine expert and I was wondering what's the difference between
varietal and appellation. Or are just the same thing?

Thanks,
Ivan

Michael Pronay 28-04-2004 10:25 AM

Varietal or Appellation

(Ivan Debono) wrote:

> I'm no wine expert and I was wondering what's the difference
> between varietal and appellation. Or are just the same thing?

"Varietal" - better "variety" - refers to the grape variety; there
are a few hundreds (if not thousand) grown commercially around the
world.

"Appellation" means "geografic provenance" of a given wine. If
official, many appellations also rule the grape varieties
permitted. In the Côte d'Or in Burgundy, i.e., whites wines can
only be made from the chardonnay, and red wines from the pinot
noir grape, while in Chteauneuf-du-Pape 13 varieties are
permitted.

M.

Emery Davis 28-04-2004 11:34 AM

Varietal or Appellation

On 28 Apr 2004 09:25:34 GMT, Michael Pronay > said:

] (Ivan Debono) wrote:=20
]=20
] > I'm no wine expert and I was wondering what's the difference=20
] > between varietal and appellation. Or are just the same thing?=20
]=20

Getting ready to reply, but Michael has (as usual) done so admirably:

] "Varietal" - better "variety" - refers to the grape variety; there=20
] are a few hundreds (if not thousand) grown commercially around the=20
] world.=20
]=20
] "Appellation" means "geografic provenance" of a given wine. If=20
] official, many appellations also rule the grape varieties=20
] permitted. In the C=F4te d'Or in Burgundy, i.e., whites wines can=20
] only be made from the chardonnay, and red wines from the pinot=20
] noir grape, while in Ch=E2teauneuf-du-Pape 13 varieties are=20
] permitted.=20

How about Bourgogne Aligot=E9? :) Or Bourgogne Passetoutgrain,=20
where up to 2/3 gamay is allowed? (The rest being pinot).

You know all this of course Michael, but I couldn't resist anyway.

-E

--=20
Emery Davis
You can reply to

by removing the well known companies

Ivan Debono 29-04-2004 07:39 AM

Varietal or Appellation

Thanks!! I learned something new today!!