winemonger

Default Bulgarian wine

Well, a friend just brought over some Bulgarian wine for us to try
and, frankly, I have to say I was not impressed. So my first question
would be...which Bulgarian wines ARE good? I keep hearing there are
some, but have not yet found them. I love a wine adventure, having
been brought up nearly from the bottle on California wines.

Second question: we had one white wine called Khan Krum Traminer 2002
"premium wine". I think they added something here to sweeten it
up...maybe not glycol, but something. If I am slandering this winery,
somebody please set me straight.

One more thing: my grammer is atrocious. My spelling often has typos.
I just want to apologize now.

emily (winemonger)
Cwdjrx _

Bulgaria now exports a large quantity of wine. Much is of the low cost
type, but several premium wines now are being made. I have not had
enough experience with Bulgarian wines, especially the premium ones, to
give anyone advice. Hugh Johnson's Pocket Encyclopedia of Wine briefly
describes several Bulgarian wines. This book is fairly inexpensive and
easy to find.

Khan Khan is a satellite cellar of Preslav which makes much white wine
and brandy. The Khan Khan reserve Chardonnay may be their best wine.
These days you do not have to add anything to make a wine slightly sweet
- the fermentation can be stopped at any desired point. I doubt if
Preslav would risk adding extras to the Khan Khan wine you mentioned, as
the bad publicty, if they were caught, could greatly harm their
business. The wine you tasted might be one of their lesser wines.

winemonger

> Bulgaria now exports a large quantity of wine. Much is of the low cost
> type, but several premium wines now are being made.

I found this website which has all manner of information on the
subject: www.winebg.com

Would still love to hear any specific recommendations, of course!

-e
winemonger

Bulgarian - Kiopoolu? Ajvar? Catmandy (Sheryl) General Cooking 1 22-07-2010 01:50 AM
Article about Bulgarian wine Patok[_2_] Wine 0 18-03-2010 12:08 AM
Bulgarian beers vlado1918 Beer 0 08-12-2009 07:06 AM
does anybody know a good source of Bulgarian wine [email protected] Wine 2 03-03-2009 05:40 PM
Bulgarian Wine Kits Steven Winemaking 0 11-10-2007 08:20 PM