Neil R.

Default carbonic maceration

i would doubt too many wine companies would be using CM for their cheaper
ranges. CM takes up a lot of tank space for a lot of time and would be
considered an uneconomic practice by the bean counters.
whole bunches could be added to a macerating must. whether this is
considered partial CM is in the eye of the beholder.
neil

JEP

"Neil R." > wrote in message >...

> whole bunches could be added to a macerating must. whether this is
> considered partial CM is in the eye of the beholder.

This was my take on it also. Not really CM, but leaving a (small?)
percentage of whole clusters in the must.

Andy
Mathew Kagis

"JEP" > wrote in message
om...
> "Neil R." > wrote in message

> > whole bunches could be added to a macerating must. whether this is
> > considered partial CM is in the eye of the beholder.

> This was my take on it also. Not really CM, but leaving a (small?)
> percentage of whole clusters in the must.
>
> Andy

OK, if this is what producers are calling 'partial whole berry
fermentation' so be it. My question remains (especially in the case of
higher priced California products) Why do it?...see post below for my
objections.

Cheers
Mathew

JEP

"Mathew Kagis" > wrote in message news:<gIAdc.25690$J56.15318@edtnps89>...
> OK, if this is what producers are calling 'partial whole berry
> fermentation' so be it. My question remains (especially in the case of
> higher priced California products) Why do it?...see post below for my
> objections.
>
> Cheers
> Mathew

Because what you (or I) want our young wine to be is not necessarily
what will sell the best. There are a lot more people who want run to
the store for a bottle to drink with dinner tonight than there are who
are willing to age a wine for 5-10 years.

Andy
Mathew Kagis

> Because what you (or I) want our young wine to be is not necessarily
> what will sell the best. There are a lot more people who want run to
> the store for a bottle to drink with dinner tonight than there are who
> are willing to age a wine for 5-10 years.
>
> Andy

I am aware of the drink now market. I'm just wondering wy this trend to
soften, previously age worthy California Cabs has sprung up now? Does it
haqve something to do with the glut in the grape market dow there? or just a
desire by the producers to grab a larger share of the table wine market?

Mathew

Bruce Edwards

"Hey Chuck! I thought the D-block cab was all picked & crushed."

"It was."

"Well, Enrique just pulled up with the bobtail loaded with 30 lug boxes
picked off the end rows. Shall I have him bring em round to the crush pad?"

"The crusher's all cleaned up. It's not worth messin' it for a few
hundred pounds of grapes. Just dump the lug boxes right in the top of
tank 604 without destemmeing. We'll call it Partial Carbonic
Maceration. Marketing will love it."

-Bruce

Mathew Kagis wrote:
> "JEP" > wrote in message
> om...
>
>>"Neil R." > wrote in message

>>>whole bunches could be added to a macerating must. whether this is
>>>considered partial CM is in the eye of the beholder.

>>This was my take on it also. Not really CM, but leaving a (small?)
>>percentage of whole clusters in the must.
>>
>>Andy

> OK, if this is what producers are calling 'partial whole berry
> fermentation' so be it. My question remains (especially in the case of
> higher priced California products) Why do it?...see post below for my
> objections.
>
> Cheers
> Mathew

Organoleptic signatures of carbonic maceration NilsGLindgren Wine 3 20-09-2011 07:55 AM
Is anyone out there doing Extended Maceration? [email protected] Winemaking 10 13-08-2007 06:14 PM
Extended Maceration marcO Winemaking 10 20-09-2006 02:55 AM
extended maceration Anthony J. Devitt Winemaking 5 02-08-2004 04:22 AM
Carbonic Maceration Mathew Kagis Wine 0 08-04-2004 07:50 PM