FoodBanter.com

-   -   Spanish Tempranillo. (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/23891-spanish-tempranillo.html)

Mat 02-04-2004 07:33 AM

Spanish Tempranillo.

Hi Everyone,

Hope all is well.

I was wondering if anyone knows much about a Tempranillo called
Berberana Dragon Tempranillo?

It's a 2000 vintage, and I'll be getting it at a steal (somewhere
below 25% RRP). However from what I've read tempranillo can age
reasonably well, but I cannot find a ballpark figure for how long this
particular vintage can be expected to live for.

Okely dokely,

Thanks heaps as usual,

Mat.

Topi Kuusinen 02-04-2004 09:35 AM

Spanish Tempranillo.

Mat wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Hope all is well.
>
> I was wondering if anyone knows much about a Tempranillo called
> Berberana Dragon Tempranillo?
>
> It's a 2000 vintage, and I'll be getting it at a steal (somewhere
> below 25% RRP). However from what I've read tempranillo can age
> reasonably well, but I cannot find a ballpark figure for how long this
> particular vintage can be expected to live for.

Mat,

While the Berberana Gran Reservas I've tried have been very good, I
remember being disappointed with the Berberana Dragon.

Why not buy one bottle and try it; if you like it, get some more. As far
as I know, the Dragon, the most inexpensive Berberana, is meant for near
term or immediate consumption anyway.

Cheers,

-Topi Kuusinen, Finland

Ian Hayward 02-04-2004 08:04 PM

Spanish Tempranillo.

Agreed. This is a £3.49 wine in UK, and the Co-op chain in particular sells huge
quantities of it. A passable to good Spanish table wine IMO, but it lacks the body
to keep.
Regards,
Ian

Mat 04-04-2004 07:01 AM

Spanish Tempranillo.

Thanks to everyone for their replies, much appreciated.

I was thinking of buying it as one of those wines you keep a case
around for when people don't really care what they're drinking if you
know what I mean.

But I shall take your advice and try a bottle tonight and see what the
result is.

I would have to buy 2 cases (well buy one get one free), so if as you
say it lacks the structure to age very long, then I might have to
leave it, or palm some off to other people. :-)

Okie dokie,

Thanks again,

Mat.