FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: 2004 Arbor Mist Raspberry Merlot (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/23885-tn-2004-arbor-mist.html)

Mark Lipton 01-04-2004 05:30 PM

TN: 2004 Arbor Mist Raspberry Merlot

Served with a delicious possum stew last night.

color: pale vermillion with scarlet edges and a hint of rose madder

nose: an explosive bouquet of banana peel, orange rind and coffee
grounds, with an undercurrent of 1931 Dusenberg exhaust fumes

palate: barnyard scents (pig farm, to be precise) on entry, giving way
to rich flavors of unripe persimmons, durian fruit and ginkgo berries,
ending in a long, sticky sweet finish

sco 101.26

Mark Lipton

[N.B. - Please take note of date]

Dale Williams 01-04-2004 07:09 PM

TN: 2004 Arbor Mist Raspberry Merlot

In article >, Mark Lipton >
writes:

> 101.26

101.26? 101.26? Are you INSANE?!?!?!?! There's no way this wine is over 100.75,
NO WAY. The problem of course is that the nose is indeed Dusenberg exhaust, but
Roadster, not Phaeton. Making the Arbor Mist clearly inferior to true 101+
wines such as the '79 Annie Green Springs Apple.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply

RV WRLee 01-04-2004 07:35 PM

TN: 2004 Arbor Mist Raspberry Merlot

>Making the Arbor Mist clearly inferior to true 101+
>wines such as the '79 Annie Green Springs Apple.

Now you're talking Dale. Nothing like a fried boloney sandwich and a glass of
Annie Green!
Bi!!

st.helier 01-04-2004 08:33 PM

2004 Arbor Mist Raspberry Merlot

"Mark Lipton" in message ...........

> [N.B. - Please take note of date]

Prof. Lipton, this is your final warning.

This is an international ng - some of us reside in particularly advanced
parts of the world.

You post appeared at 4:30am on 2nd April.

Or is the whole of April "fools month" in the U.S.

AB

p.s. Got a card from J & S. They just loved Hawkes Bay.

Mark Lipton 01-04-2004 09:40 PM

Dale Williams wrote:
> In article >, Mark Lipton >
> writes:
>

>>101.26

> 101.26? 101.26? Are you INSANE?!?!?!?! There's no way this wine is over 100.75,
> NO WAY. The problem of course is that the nose is indeed Dusenberg exhaust, but
> Roadster, not Phaeton. Making the Arbor Mist clearly inferior to true 101+
> wines such as the '79 Annie Green Springs Apple.
> Dale

You Annie Green Springs drinkers are all alike, Dale: nattering nabobs
of negativism, the lot of ya! Not all of us winos are able to cellar
such trophy items, ya snob. It's White Zins at dawn, Dale.

Mark Lipton

Dana Myers 01-04-2004 10:56 PM

Dale Williams wrote:
> Making the Arbor Mist clearly inferior to true 101+
> wines such as the '79 Annie Green Springs Apple.

Annie Green Springs *was* such a nice wine before it
was Parkerized into such an over-oaked, over-extracted
monster.

Sigh.

Dana

Ian Hoare 01-04-2004 11:35 PM

2004 Arbor Mist Raspberry Merlot

Salut/Hi st.helier,

le/on Fri, 2 Apr 2004 07:33:29 +1200, tu disais/you said:-

>Prof. Lipton, this is your final warning.
>
>This is an international ng - some of us reside in particularly advanced
>parts of the world.
>
>You post appeared at 4:30am on 2nd April.
>
>Or is the whole of April "fools month" in the U.S.

Only for George dubya.

good friend the perfessor.
--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Cwdjrx _ 01-04-2004 11:51 PM

TN: 2004 Arbor Mist Raspberry Merlot

What a mismatch! I thought everyone knew that possum stew cries out for
for a Krover Nacktarsch. It is a pity you live so far way, or I could
have sent you a lovely Kendermann Krover Nacktarsch 1974 even though it
is my only bottle. I hope you also served candied sweet potatoes with
plenty of brown sugar cherries, and marshmallows. Also you should have
had Boston Musical Society Baked Beans. These are made the same as
Boston Baked Beans, except 4 batches of beans are used. After the first
beans are soaked and boiled, the beans are discarded and the liquid is
used to soak and cook more beans. When you reach the last batch of
beans, you reduce all of the cooking liquid and mix it with the beans.
This makes a very unusual dish, and after an hour or so you will learn
how it got this special name.

Mark Lipton 02-04-2004 12:37 AM

st.helier wrote:

> Prof. Lipton, this is your final warning.
>
> This is an international ng - some of us reside in particularly advanced
> parts of the world.
>
> You post appeared at 4:30am on 2nd April.

You mean that you actually have clocks and calendars in NZ???? And I
had thought that you used sundials on those 1-2 days in which the
daystar was actually visible in Kiwiland.

> Or is the whole of April "fools month" in the U.S.

No, that's the first Tuesday in November, silly boy!

> p.s. Got a card from J & S. They just loved Hawkes Bay.

I'm not surprised. My cards will probably arrive next month... :(

Best wishes to you and Kathryn,
Mark Lipton

Mathew Kagis 02-04-2004 06:05 AM

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> st.helier wrote:
>

> > Prof. Lipton, this is your final warning.
> >
> > This is an international ng - some of us reside in particularly advanced
> > parts of the world.
> >
> > You post appeared at 4:30am on 2nd April.

> You mean that you actually have clocks and calendars in NZ???? And I
> had thought that you used sundials on those 1-2 days in which the
> daystar was actually visible in Kiwiland.

Carefull Mark, this was exactly what Rick Mercer did here in Canada on his
segment 'Talking to Americans'.... Had third year Yale sudents
congratulating Canada on finally adopting the 24hr clock & legalizing
insulin..... An EVERYONE knows that Raspberry Arbor mist should be paired
with corn dogs & a 'squirt' chaser....jeez.....
On that note, I watched with horror, just the other night, as a woman
(with the most obscene chest job I've ever seen) add ginger ale to her glass
of Holy Trinity G.S.M..... If she'd only asked, I'd have told her that
G.S.M. should only ever be mixed with tonic water.... some people!

st.helier 02-04-2004 08:13 AM

2004 Arbor Mist Raspberry Merlot

"Mark Lipton" wrote in message.....

> You mean that you actually have clocks and calendars in NZ???? And I
> had thought that you used sundials on those 1-2 days in which the
> daystar was actually visible in Kiwiland.

Mark (and thou tooist venerable Anglohungarofrancophile M. Oharr...)

You would not believe it - March (vintage month in these fair antipodean
shores) has been the driest since records began in 1,234bc - a mere 1mm
here in Auckland and zero in both Hawkes Bay and Marlborough if rumours are
correct (my carrier pigeons died from dehydration!!!!!)

But not unbearably hot - so looking forward to some great Sauvignon from
both Palliser and Wither Hills.

But, 31 whole days of sunshine!!!!!

So, perhaps you (and SHMBO - immigration will reject your entry if you
should come alone) should consider March/April as the best time for a return
visit?)

> > p.s. Got a card from J & S. They just loved Hawkes Bay.

> I'm not surprised. My cards will probably arrive next month..

Nope - they will bring them - at least they can fit them in their
uggage - do not expect anything larger!!!!!

> Best wishes to you and Kathryn,

Thank you my friend - likewise to you and yours.

AB

Max Hauser 02-04-2004 10:38 AM

Horrors ( TN: 2004 Arbor Mist ...)

"Cwdjrx _" in ...
> . . .. Also you should have
> had Boston Musical Society Baked Beans.

Indeed indeed. Reminds me of the 1996 experimental hot-spicy
rehydrated-chickpea cassoulet whose side effects were horrible, devastating.
Still, merely physical, not spiritual, not one of those life traumas like
the rotten black Chinese mushroom I once bit innocently in Ithaca, New York,
leaving me changed -- entire dimensions of wretchedness in flavor
unimaginable to the fortunate inexperienced whom chance spares.

There is even a small specialty cooking literature of the designedly
off-putting. Helen Gurley Brown's "Ghastly Eggs" recipe is famous in the
US, in part thanks to the Sterns' observant reprinting of it. (The Sterns
are better known for their _Encyclopedia of Bad Taste_ with its 110 engaging
small articles: fake fur, stretch limousines, Gabor sisters, Liberace, etc.,
containing amazing details.) Given energy and an occasion, I'll quote that
recipe, but someone else is welcome to do so too. It IS wine-related.

Ian Hoare 02-04-2004 11:37 AM

TN: 2004 Arbor Mist Raspberry Merlot

Salut/Hi Cwdjrx _,

le/on Thu, 1 Apr 2004 16:51:45 -0600 (CST), tu disais/you said:-

>plenty of brown sugar cherries, and marshmallows. Also you should have
>had Boston Musical Society Baked Beans.

Ah... I'll ask my friend Michael Loo about these. He's a viola player who
lives in Boston, I wonder if he's suffered through them!

>This makes a very unusual dish, and after an hour or so you will learn
>how it got this special name.

Perhaps not. He's got the most incredibly resistant constitution of anyone I
know. As well as knowing more about cooking, wine, bridge and mycology.
--
All the Best
Ian Hoare