FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: Ouest by North-Ouest (Potel, Fournier, Babcock sticky) (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/23884-tn-ouest-north-ouest.html)

Dale Williams 01-04-2004 03:29 PM

TN: Ouest by North-Ouest (Potel, Fournier, Babcock sticky)

Betsy got me a ticket to last night's Figaro, and we had an early dinner
beforehand. Went to the well-regarded Ouest on the Upper West Side, and thought
it deserved its regard. Delicious lamb carpaccio appetizer with chevre and
olives; Betsy had a nice skate dish while I had duck. Knew she wouldn't finish
a glass before a performance, as there was no 375s on menu we just each got a
glass. I got the 2001 Potel Bourgogne - nice earthy nose, fruit a bit on the
light side. Thinner than I hoped for, pleasant enough easy wine, but can't
really stand up to the tasty duck. I prefer the Lafarge or Maltroye '01
Bourgognes. B

Betsy's 2001 Fournier Sancerre had very ripe white fruit and a hint of
grapefruit, a little grass and flint on finish. Nice enough wine, but riper
than my tastes- not enough acidity. B/B-

While Betsy had dessert, I had a glass of dessert wine- the 2001 Babcock
"Cuvee Sublime" Gewurztraminer (Santa Ynez). Sublime? I think not. Rose petal
and citrus peel nose, clean sweet peach and lychee fruit, no finish to speak
of. No hint of botrytis that I could spot. Nothing technically flawed about
this, but when I get dessert wine I want something more than alcoholic fruit
juice, even if the fruit is clean. B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B
a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party
where it was only choice.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply