Dale Williams

Default TN: Darting, Iche, Bonny Doon, plus Spanish store tasting

Friday Betsy had a dress rehearsal and then stayed in the city for "Figaro",
David was sick and only wanted ramen noodles. I was too lazy to cook for
myself, picked up one of those supermarket rotisserie chickens and had with
leftover veggies. I should have known better, the white meat on those chickens
is always inedible, but I struggled through the legs. Accompanied by the newest
version of a QPR favorite, the 2002 Iché Les Hérétiques*VdP de l'Hérault. Earth
and leather on the nose, good dark berry fruit with moderate acidity and a
decent finish. At just over $6, fine qpr, and deserving of a better
accompaniment than that chicken. B/B+

Saturday night I went to "Sweeney Todd", beforehand had a glass of the 2002
Bonny Doon Ca' da Solo Big House White. This is from a smorgasbörd of grape
varieties, but actually melds into a pretty decent wine. Floral, round, with
peach and canteloupe fruit. The screwcap is an added bonus for a wine to keep
in the fridge. B

Sunday I was startled when Betsy requested hot dogs for dinner, but went to the
store and picked up beef franks and knockwurst, along with every topping I'd
ever heard of - onions, chili, slaw, cheese, and more. Grilled the tube steaks,
then served with the 2002 Darting Ungsteiner Herrenberg Spätlese. Complex nose
of pineapple and orange marmalade, flavors of ginger ale with a squirt of
apricot. Boytrytis? This isn't bad, but I don't like as much as the 2001
Dartings. B

Also on Saturday went to a Zachys tasting of Spanish wines imported by
Tempranillo, Inc. (Jorge Ordonez). All of the wines were ok, a few stood out.
Zachys had 20% off all Spanish wines, the prices I list are pre-discount:

The Good

2002 Txacoli (13.99)
From the Basque area. Citrus fruit, bracing acidity, no noticeable oak, light
and crisp. I buy.

1999 Muga Reserva Unfiltered (17.99)
Pretty tasty semi-traditional Rioja. I thought '99 was supposed to be poor
vintage, but this I like.

1995 Muga Prado Enea Gran Reserva (39.99)
Classy wine, cigarbox and red fruit in a medium-bodied smooth package. I need
more than 20% off for this one, but I like.

2001 Finca Sandoval (93% Syrah and 7% Mourvedre) (29.99)
I've complimented this wine enough, let's just say that I enjoyed my taste (I
normally don't taste wines I already know/own at store tastings).

2000 Vall Llach Embruix (Priorat) (29.99)
Grenache & Cabernet Sauvignon. I know according to my own standards I shouldn't
like this: clearly international, oaky, big and a bit clumsy. But there's some
nice minerality there, and I like this distinctive wine. I buy one.

The So-So
2002 Nora Albariño (Rias Baixas) (14.99)
Pleasant, ripe fruit, ok
2002 Muga Blanco (10.99)
Simple easy white Rioja, but no deal at $9.
2000 Borsao Crianza (Campo de Borja) (9.99)
Ripe fruit, oak, I prefer the $5 basic Borsao
2002 Borsao Tres Picos Tempranillo (14.99)
Ditto, fruit a little sweeter
2000 Emilio Moro (Ribera de Duero) (23.99)
Big oaky wine, actually not bad for price if you like style.
1999 Abadia Retuerta Seleccion Especial (26.99)
I liked the early (96?) Abadia Retuerta, but prices have risen and I like wine
less. A wine without place.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B
a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party
where it was only choice.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Mark Lipton

Dale Williams wrote:

> 1995 Muga Prado Enea Gran Reserva (39.99)
> Classy wine, cigarbox and red fruit in a medium-bodied smooth package. I need
> more than 20% off for this one, but I like.

Dale,
Coincidentally, I had this wine last week with my father-in-law (Xmas present
from yours truly) and felt much the same: good fruit with some nice complexity
developing, and good balance. Alas, it was served with takeout Chinese food, so
I was drinking the wine basically unaccompanied by food. Still delicious, though.

Mark Lipton

Dale Williams

In article >, Mark Lipton >
writes:

> Coincidentally, I had this wine last week with my father-in-law (Xmas
>present
>from yours truly) and felt much the same: good fruit with some nice
>complexity
>developing, and good balance. Alas, it was served with takeout Chinese
>food, so
>I was drinking the wine basically unaccompanied by food. Still delicious,
>though.

Indeed, a good wine. But more like $25 good than $32 (on "sale"). I see Wine
Library has for $28, I might spring if I decide to order something else from
there.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Anders Tørneskog

"Dale Williams" > skrev i melding
> .. smorgasbörd >

Hi Dale
Hope you don't mind if I tell you the correct spelling is "smörgåsbord" :-)
>...2002 Darting Ungsteiner Herrenberg Spätlese.
> ... This isn't bad, but I don't like as much as the 2001

Mhm, seems we both have a liking for the 2001 Spätleses :-)
2002 is good, though - but somehow the 2001 Spätleses generally are the best
I've ever had (since 1976) - maybe equalled with 1959 - but I was too young
then...
Anders

Anders Tørneskog

"Dale Williams" > skrev i melding
> .. smorgasbörd >

Hi Dale
Hope you don't mind if I tell you the correct spelling is "smörgåsbord" :-)
>...2002 Darting Ungsteiner Herrenberg Spätlese.
> ... This isn't bad, but I don't like as much as the 2001

Mhm, seems we both have a liking for the 2001 Spätleses :-)
2002 is good, though - but somehow the 2001 Spätleses generally are the best
I've ever had (since 1976) - maybe equalled with 1959 - but I was too young
then...
Anders

Dale Williams

In article >, "Anders Tørneskog"
> writes:

>Hope you don't mind if I tell you the correct spelling is "smörgåsbord" :-)

Not at all. Even Allchars doesn't help when I can't remember where the
diacriticals go!

>>...2002 Darting Ungsteiner Herrenberg Spätlese.
>> ... This isn't bad, but I don't like as much as the 2001

>Mhm, seems we both have a liking for the 2001 Spätleses :-)
>2002 is good, though - but somehow the 2001 Spätleses generally are the best
>I've ever had (since 1976) - maybe equalled with 1959 - but I was too young
>then...

I've heard more than one person (with more German experience than myself) say
that 2001 was a truly great Spätlese vintage. The ripeness and balanced acidity
led to some great wines (moreso in Spätlesen than say the dessert wines).
Do you have a regional preference in the 2001s? Middle Mosel seemed to be the
top, but most regions did well.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply

1997 Bonny Doon Bi!! Wine 4 29-10-2010 06:06 PM
WTN: The Great Sierra Car Crash Tasting (14 wines, mostly Spanish) DaleW Wine 10 04-09-2009 02:57 PM
Bonny Doon and Randall Graham [email protected] Wine 4 15-07-2005 03:14 AM
TN: CdP, Fiefs de Lagrange, Trimbach, Bonny Doon Dale Williams Wine 3 30-11-2004 01:06 PM
Bonny Doon Framboise- Serving Temp?? james risley Wine 1 18-03-2004 02:34 AM