CigarLawyer

Default Styrofoam Wine Shippers-Where to buy?

Friends:

We're moving into new digs in a month or so, and I need to pack up the wine and
take it along. I really don't want to stash it all into liquor store "wine
cartons" as there are some gems that I'd hate to lose in the move. I think that
some of the stryofoam wine shippers (you know the kind, styrofoam inside of a
cardboard box that keeps 12 bottles separate from each other) would be the best
way to move 'em.

I've only gotten these items when I've bought cases at the winery and had them
shipped to my home, or from a wine merchant and had them ship. Any thoughts on
where I might get 10 or so of the cardboard boxes and styrofoam inserts to move
about 10 cases or so?

Any thoughts would be appreciated; drop the obvious s*p*a*m blocker to reply.

Marc
Marc Goldstone
Paramedic and Attorney Extraordinaire (Both. Really. Just ask my mom!)
"I don't have to chase ambulances ... I get to ride in them!"
"Sure, I may be in the service of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial."
BFSON

You may be able to get them for free. Check and see if there a wine competition
or wine writer in your area. They get scores of shippers and are always looking
for ways to have them reused instead of throwing them out. I know back when I
was running the San Diego Nat. Wine Comp. we had hundreds of shippers left
over. We tried to recycle as many as we could.

Bob Foster, San Diego
Craig Winchell/GAN EDEN Wines

Marc lives in New Jersey, or at least he did a few years ago. I only know
where to get them out here in California, and it would cost as much or more
to ship them to New Jersey as it would to purchase them, so although I could
procure them for him here, I'm sure he would appreciate purchasing them in
New Jersey and not paying for shipping.

Craig Winchell
GAN EDEN Wines

NOT wrote on 3/27/04 6:17 AM:

> > Friends:
> >
> > We're moving into new digs in a month or so, and I need to pack up the

wine
> > and
> > take it along. I really don't want to stash it all into liquor store

"wine
> > cartons" as there are some gems that I'd hate to lose in the move. I

think
> > that
> > some of the stryofoam wine shippers (you know the kind, styrofoam inside

of a
> > cardboard box that keeps 12 bottles separate from each other) would be

the
> > best
> > way to move 'em.
> >
> > I've only gotten these items when I've bought cases at the winery and

had them
> > shipped to my home, or from a wine merchant and had them ship. Any

thoughts on
> > where I might get 10 or so of the cardboard boxes and styrofoam inserts

> > move
> > about 10 cases or so?
> >
> > Any thoughts would be appreciated; drop the obvious s*p*a*m blocker to

reply.

> > Marc
> > Marc Goldstone
> > Paramedic and Attorney Extraordinaire (Both. Really. Just ask my mom!)
> > "I don't have to chase ambulances ... I get to ride in them!"
> > "Sure, I may be in the service of Satan, but my duties are largely
> > ceremonial."

> Don't know where you live but Beverages and More sells styrofoam
> 'shippers'in several configurations. They have a web site @ bevmo.com.
> Type "styrofoam" in the search window and you'll see the selection.

CigarLawyer

Craig wrote:

<<Marc lives in New Jersey, or at least he did a few years ago.>>

Still do; we're moving in-state, to Bruce Springsteen's hometown, actually!

<<I only know where to get them out here in California, and it would cost as
much or more
to ship them to New Jersey as it would to purchase them,>>

BevMo.Com wants $9.99 each plus a substantial shipping fee, so you've got that
right!

Of course, Craig, you could always send me a few cases of your delectable
Cabernet and Orange Muscat for our housewarming, and then you'd need to throw
in some shippers anyway ... ;-)

Thanks!

Marc, still searching for shippers in NJ

"CigarLawyer" > wrote in message
> Craig wrote:
>
> <<Marc lives in New Jersey, or at least he did a few years ago.>>
>
> Still do; we're moving in-state, to Bruce Springsteen's hometown,

actually!

> <<I only know where to get them out here in California, and it would

cost as
> much or more
> to ship them to New Jersey as it would to purchase them,>>
>
> BevMo.Com wants $9.99 each plus a substantial shipping fee, so you've got

that
> right!
>
> Of course, Craig, you could always send me a few cases of your delectable
> Cabernet and Orange Muscat for our housewarming, and then you'd need to

throw
> in some shippers anyway ... ;-)

That's Black Muscat. It's been a few years since I sent you some, so I'll
forgive you. The shipping is substantially more wine when there's wine in
the shippers (grin). Empty, I can get them to you for $5 each plus shipping
costs. But that's still cross-country UPS charges, which can't be cheap
even empty. There must be a New Jersey retailer who can supply them to you
cheaper.

Craig Winchell
GAN EDEN Wines

> Thanks!
>
> Marc, still searching for shippers in NJ
> Marc Goldstone
> Paramedic and Attorney Extraordinaire (Both. Really. Just ask my mom!)
> "I don't have to chase ambulances ... I get to ride in them!"
> "Sure, I may be in the service of Satan, but my duties are largely

ceremonial."

james risley

Hey Marc, As a fellow Jerseyan, I can tell you that the Wine Library in
Millburn uses the styrofoam containers you spoke of, as I've received orders
from them recently. As I don't have a proper rack system in my basement yet,
I use those containers for storage, tilted on their side in the shipping
box, to keep storage horizontal. Perhaps if you're not far from Millburn
(maybe 1and 1/2 hrs from Rumson?), it would worth your trip. Their web site
is www.winelibrary.com . Good Luck.
"CigarLawyer" > wrote in message
> Friends:
>
> We're moving into new digs in a month or so, and I need to pack up the

wine and
> take it along. I really don't want to stash it all into liquor store "wine
> cartons" as there are some gems that I'd hate to lose in the move. I think

that
> some of the stryofoam wine shippers (you know the kind, styrofoam inside

of a
> cardboard box that keeps 12 bottles separate from each other) would be the

best
> way to move 'em.
>
> I've only gotten these items when I've bought cases at the winery and had

them
> shipped to my home, or from a wine merchant and had them ship. Any

thoughts on
> where I might get 10 or so of the cardboard boxes and styrofoam inserts to

move
> about 10 cases or so?
>
> Any thoughts would be appreciated; drop the obvious s*p*a*m blocker to

reply.

> Marc
> Marc Goldstone
> Paramedic and Attorney Extraordinaire (Both. Really. Just ask my mom!)
> "I don't have to chase ambulances ... I get to ride in them!"
> "Sure, I may be in the service of Satan, but my duties are largely

ceremonial."

Vincent Vega

http://www.uline.com/AdvSearchResult...eywords =wine

http://www.ebeaver.com/

http://www.wholesalepackaging.com/Pr...BX09&CatID=BX#

Its the shipping that jacks the price up.

Dale Williams

To the OP,

1) I agree that as a generality styrofoam shippers are overkill for a move.
Millions of cases of wine are shipped worldwide in regular cases. Of course I
want my wines I order from CA via a common carrier shipped in styrofoam,
because they're likely to be flipped and tossed. But if you're moving yourself,
or hiring movers, regular 12 pack cardboard cases taped securely and labeled
FRAGILE - THIS END UP should be sufficient.

2) If you really think you need styrofoam shippers, try a retailer with a
mailorder business. I forget what part of NJ you're in. Certainly Wine Library
uses good shippers. Don't bother with Garys or Supercellars, I think they use
those "Spirited Shipper" cardboard and peanut combos.

3) If you're going to be in NYC any time soon, my friend Arv is posting that
he's trying to get rid of shippers:
http://fora.erobertparker.com/ubb/ul...c;f=2;t=000511
or email me and I'll put you in touch.

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply

Hunt

In article >,
NOT says...

>Friends:
>
>We're moving into new digs in a month or so, and I need to pack up the wine

and
>take it along. I really don't want to stash it all into liquor store "wine
>cartons" as there are some gems that I'd hate to lose in the move. I think

that
>some of the stryofoam wine shippers (you know the kind, styrofoam inside of a
>cardboard box that keeps 12 bottles separate from each other) would be the

best
>way to move 'em.
>
>I've only gotten these items when I've bought cases at the winery and had

them
>shipped to my home, or from a wine merchant and had them ship. Any thoughts

on
>where I might get 10 or so of the cardboard boxes and styrofoam inserts to

move
>about 10 cases or so?
>
>Any thoughts would be appreciated; drop the obvious s*p*a*m blocker to reply.
>
>Marc
>Marc Goldstone

I'm sure that it's too late to help you, but I give about 5 of these per month
to my local wine shop, or to whomever will take them. I've about a dozen, and
retire them in cylces so the newer ones are in use to transport any wine from
CA to AZ, or just to get them from retailer to home in AZ, especially in
Summer. Next time, talk to your wine merchant, as many folk that I know donate
them for the retailer's "good customers." I'd have sent you at least half a
dozen.

Hunt