Dale Williams

Default TN: nothing exciting (mediocre Pauillac second, NZ SB, Salice S.)

Saturday night we were having friends over, and Betsy was playing matinee. A
smoked fish risotto in NYT sounded good, so I roasted two chickens and rounded
up some sable (smoked cod, not the mammal). Betsy made the risotto, our friends
arrived, and after a tumultuous period (NEVER combine a 5 yr old and a 3 yr old
child and a 15-month old Basset Hound), we managed to eat the chicken risotto,
and some veggies. We had both red and white out, and the wines we

1995 Domaine Leflaive Bourgogne
White fruit, some nuttiness, crisp acidity, long stoney finish for a basic
Bourgogne Blanc. Delicious. The nuttiness increased and the fruit seemed to
fade as night went on. By next day this wine was totally shot, drink up! But
for now, B+

2000 Les Hauts de Pontet-Canet (Pauillac)
Ok dark fruit though with an herbal edge, medium-bodied, but the tannins have a
greenness to them. Even extended airing doesn't soften. Maybe this would have
been ok with a steak, or maybe some bottle age would
take care of some of the tannins. But there are too many other better drinking
$15 Bordeaux out there. B-

Sunday night we had some former neighbors over. With assorted appetizers, the
2002 Tohu Sauvignon Blanc (Marlborough). A huge hit with our friends,
gooseberrytropical fruit with a peppery edge, nice crisp SB, will look for
more, B+

With the main course (slow-cooked duck legs), the 1998 Bouchard Père et Fils
Pommard. Some earth, moderate acidity, good cherry fruit, but some hard tannins
remaining. Not the easiest wine to like initially. After an hour or more of air
it seemed to flesh out, and the tannins smoothed. Good deal at $15 on closeout
B/B+

One neighbor is mostly a white-drinker, the SB was gone, we opened the 2002
Verget "Le Clos" Macon-Bussieres. Light oak, apple fruit, decent flinty finish.
Ok, a decent $11 wine. B

Monday night Betsy served pasta puttanesca, with the 2000 Candido Salice
Salentino Riserva. Nice ripe red fruit, a little edge of smoked meat, moderate
acidity despite the ripeness and a decent finish. Good for a $6 bottle. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B
a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party
where it was only choice.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
John Taverner

"> Sunday night we had some former neighbors over. With assorted appetizers,
the
> 2002 Tohu Sauvignon Blanc (Marlborough). A huge hit with our friends,
> gooseberrytropical fruit with a peppery edge, nice crisp SB, will look for
> more, B+

Dale
A recent Villa Maria SB, was stunning for its price, £8.00, alright it was
big upfront, but very pleasant, at half the price of a Pouilly Blanc Fume.
Slurp
JT

Dale Williams

>A recent Villa Maria SB, was stunning for its price, £8.00, alright it was

John,

I've liked Villa Marias. Though the multiple labels I find confusing (I'm not
talking geographic designations, but things like Private Bin, Reserve, etc.).
Generally good stuff.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply

HIGHLY Mediocre BBQ sf[_9_] General Cooking 1 13-11-2015 01:25 AM
TN Pauillac 2003 John T Wine 1 28-12-2007 10:03 PM
TN: Dull Salice Salentino DaleW Wine 3 01-09-2005 12:57 AM
TN: mediocre wines with mediocre (or worse) food Dale Williams Wine 2 15-08-2004 04:06 AM
Salice Salentino rec Martin Knott Wine 4 15-11-2003 06:04 PM