Ian Hoare

Default Wine Doggy Bag Law in US

Salut/Hi Vino,

le/on Mon, 16 Feb 2004 05:40:52 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 00:16:23 +0100, Ian Hoare >
>wrote:
>
><snip>
>>Even if I choose to fly into a state with less
>>puritanical rules, I would then have to be 100% certain that I knew what
>>rules applied in every state through which I was passing on my way to visit
>>(say) Vino in Seattle or Bill in Vancouver.

>The Vancouver that Bill lives in is in Canada, Ian, although there is
>one in Washington State. But I'm sure you knew that. Getting wine into
>Canada from the US could be the subject of another long discussion,
>but let's don't go there.

Yes, I know, but I'm going VIA the east coast. So I'll be arriving
(probably) in Newark (where I think federal laws apply), drive to see Dale
(crossing into New York State, any idea what the laws for transporting
alcohol into NY state are?) then up to see Dave in Enfield CT (any idea what
the law is for transporting alcohol into CT?). From there I'll fly to
Seattle (any idea what laws are for transporting alcohol into WA), before
driving north across into Vancouver. As part of the commonwealth, I'm fairly
confident that I could bring a half dozen bottles between the two of us up
there, if I wanted to, though I'm less confident about being able to bring
them back again!

OK, to some extent I'm exaggerating, because I'm not so worried about anyone
stopping a car between one State and another. Nevertheless, I WILL be flying
into a US airport twice, and crossing a national border twice, before
heading quietly south.

Apart from the one time I have already mentioned, I've never smuggled, and
with the climate of opinion post 9-11, I'm extremely reluctant to take the
risk. If I EVER get caught, I could never come back to the USA without major
hassles. It's OK for US citizens, the worst YOU would have is confiscation
or a small fine. I'd be on record as a felon (isn't smuggling alcohol a
felony offence?), and as such ineligible to enter ever again.
--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
Vino

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 10:37:49 +0100, Ian Hoare >
wrote:
<snip>
> I'm going VIA the east coast. So I'll be arriving
>(probably) in Newark (where I think federal laws apply), drive to see Dale
>(crossing into New York State, any idea what the laws for transporting
>alcohol into NY state are?)

Nope.

>then up to see Dave in Enfield CT (any idea what
>the law is for transporting alcohol into CT?).

Again, nope.

>From there I'll fly to
>Seattle (any idea what laws are for transporting alcohol into WA),

Very liberal; you'll have no problem.

> before
>driving north across into Vancouver. As part of the commonwealth, I'm fairly
>confident that I could bring a half dozen bottles between the two of us up
>there, if I wanted to, though I'm less confident about being able to bring
>them back again!

You might want to rethink that one. The border crossing that you will
most likely use was closed briefly today because a grenade was found
in a car attempting to cross into Canada. (See link below.) It turned
out to be a harmless situation but I suspect they are pretty edgy
there now.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/...r+Exp losives

>OK, to some extent I'm exaggerating, because I'm not so worried about anyone
>stopping a car between one State and another.

Generally, you shouldn't be worried unless you do something really
stupid.

>Nevertheless, I WILL be flying
>into a US airport twice, and crossing a national border twice, before
>heading quietly south.

Vino
To reply, add "x" between
letters and numbers of
e-mail address.
Xyzsch

>Yes, I know, but I'm going VIA the east coast. So I'll be arriving
>(probably) in Newark (where I think federal laws apply), drive to see Dale
>(crossing into New York State, any idea what the laws for transporting
>alcohol into NY state are?) then

up to see Dave in Enfield CT (any idea what
>the law is for transporting alcohol into CT?). From there I'll fly to
>Seattle (any idea what laws are for
>transporting alcohol into WA), before
>driving north across into Vancouver. As part of the commonwealth, I'm fairly
>confident that I could bring a half dozen bottles between the two of us up
>there, if I wanted to, though I'm less confident about being able to bring
>them back again!
>
>OK, to some extent I'm exaggerating, because I'm not so worried about anyone
>stopping a car between one State and another. Nevertheless, I WILL be flying
>into a US airport twice, and crossing a national border twice, before
>heading quietly south.

Ian

While you are in the US, there is virtually no risk of being hassled. Police
cannot search a vehicle in the US, unless there is probable cause (ie, they see
something suspicious). Do not leave the bottles in plain sight, and don't have
any open containers. In the remote chance that any police officer within the
US asks to search your vehicle, you refuse. They cannot search unless you let
them.

Flying within the US poses no problem. Security does not care about alcohol.

I leave you to evaluate the international boarder crossings, the only place of
concern.

Tom Schellberg
dick

Border crossing will be an issue...just declare.

"Xyzsch" > wrote in message
> >Yes, I know, but I'm going VIA the east coast. So I'll be arriving
> >(probably) in Newark (where I think federal laws apply), drive to see

Dale
> >(crossing into New York State, any idea what the laws for transporting
> >alcohol into NY state are?) then

> up to see Dave in Enfield CT (any idea what
> >the law is for transporting alcohol into CT?). From there I'll fly to
> >Seattle (any idea what laws are for
> >transporting alcohol into WA), before
> >driving north across into Vancouver. As part of the commonwealth, I'm

fairly
> >confident that I could bring a half dozen bottles between the two of us

up
> >there, if I wanted to, though I'm less confident about being able to

bring
> >them back again!
> >
> >OK, to some extent I'm exaggerating, because I'm not so worried about

anyone
> >stopping a car between one State and another. Nevertheless, I WILL be

flying
> >into a US airport twice, and crossing a national border twice, before
> >heading quietly south.
> >

> Ian
>
> While you are in the US, there is virtually no risk of being hassled.

Police
> cannot search a vehicle in the US, unless there is probable cause (ie,

they see
> something suspicious). Do not leave the bottles in plain sight, and don't

have
> any open containers. In the remote chance that any police officer within

the
> US asks to search your vehicle, you refuse. They cannot search unless you

let
> them.
>
> Flying within the US poses no problem. Security does not care about

alcohol.

> I leave you to evaluate the international boarder crossings, the only

place of
> concern.
>
> Tom Schellberg

Sarge

"Emery Davis" > wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:31:06 +0100, Ian Hoare > said:
[]
] >Back onT: just tried to find the wine to match rabbit with turnips and
calvados;
] >attempted a '98 Rasteau (La Soumade Confiance) in the hope of standing up
] >it, with weak results: it wilted in front of its adversary. Any ideas
for what I might
] >have tried? "Really big" was a proverbial spam advertizement...
]
] I don't do bunny like that, (I'm not over fond of turnips) although we do
] recipe where it's marinated in red wine and cooked in that, with prunes. I
] also do a recipe for Mouton à la Poitevine, where slices of mutton leg are
] stewed with cognac and garlic - a lot of garlic - a GREAT deal of garlic.
] For the bunny, I serve a random red, something like Tour des Gendres Cuvée
] classique. For the mutton (not lamb, btw) I use a far bigger wine, a
madiran
] or a big cahors. Until Oullins, I didn't have much Rhone wine. Intersting
] dilemma, with the calva pushing one way and the turnips (slightly
] caramelised, I imagine) giving a rich sweetness in a rather different
] direction. Completely off the wall suggestion. A big young Anjou villages.
[]

Well, this is honestly a pretty massive Rasteau, bigger than any Cahors I
can think of.

The bunny was a spur of the moment thing, as I discovered some fresh young
ones next to my regular rabbit guy at market. He also had some red onions;
thus the obligatory bacon, some fresh rosemary, and when I was reaching for
cognac from the bar I hit a fruity young calva instead, and decided it would
flatter the sweetness of the turnips -- a bit carmelized as you guessed.
Hap hazard cooking, but the kids loved it at our weekly "family dinner."
Never made it before, nor maybe ever again, but that's part of the fun,
right?

I think the young Anjou is maybe a decent idea. Come to think of it, we've
a good local stout (made by an english couple installed as "le brewery")
that
would have gone as well as anything.

-E

--