FoodBanter.com

-   -   Galician wines (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/23567-galician-wines.html)

Tad Davis 01-02-2004 01:53 AM

Galician wines

Hi,

Ok, other than the Albariños, does anyone have any recommendations or
must-tries from the northwest corner of Spain. I'll be there for a
couple of weeks starting next Tuesday. Gotta love that SAS advent
calendar: $300 R/T from Seattle :)

Tad

Mike Tommasi 01-02-2004 02:38 PM

Galician wines

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 16:53:18 -0800, Tad Davis >
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Ok, other than the Albariños, does anyone have any recommendations or
>must-tries from the northwest corner of Spain. I'll be there for a
>couple of weeks starting next Tuesday. Gotta love that SAS advent
>calendar: $300 R/T from Seattle :)

A must from around there is a Valdeorras from "Bodegas A Tapada",
specfically their "Guitián Godello" made from formerly obscure
godello grapes.

Mike

Mike Tommasi 01-02-2004 05:38 PM

Galician wines

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 14:38:51 +0100, Mike Tommasi >
wrote:

>On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 16:53:18 -0800, Tad Davis >
>wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Ok, other than the Albariños, does anyone have any recommendations or
>>must-tries from the northwest corner of Spain. I'll be there for a
>>couple of weeks starting next Tuesday. Gotta love that SAS advent
>>calendar: $300 R/T from Seattle :)
>>

>A must from around there is a Valdeorras from "Bodegas A Tapada",
>specfically their "Guitián Godello" made from formerly obscure
>godello grapes.

Let me add that the person who confirmed the quality of these wines to
me (before going out and tasting them myself) was Santiago, and I am
sure he will add more great suggestions.

Mike

Santiago G.H. 02-02-2004 12:17 AM

Galician wines

Mike Tommasi > wrote in
:

>>A must from around there is a Valdeorras from "Bodegas A Tapada",
>>specfically their "Guitián Godello" made from formerly obscure
>>godello grapes.

> Let me add that the person who confirmed the quality of these wines to
> me (before going out and tasting them myself) was Santiago, and I am
> sure he will add more great suggestions.
>
> Mike

Thanks Mike for your kind comment. My favorite white not-albariño (actual
D.O. for what commonly is called Albariño is Rias Baixas) is the one you
mention, from D.O. Valdeorras: "Bodegas A Tapada Guitián Godello" 2002 is
not bad, but 2001 is better IMHO. They also have a barrel fermented wine
under the name "Guitián Fermentado en Barrica" which is not my favorite
wine. I think I read somewhere that they were changing the latter for a
less oaked white, under the name "Guitián sobre lías" (Guitián over lees).

In D.O. Ribeiro there is another excellent choice: Viña Meín, with 2001
again a bit better than 2002 IMHO.

I think that Viña Meín and Guitián Godello are the safer bets for Galician
whites out of D.O. Rias Baixas.

Best,

Santiago