Dale Williams

Default TN: Big dinner, lots of 2000 Bordeaux

Saturday night 50 Bordeaux fans took over the main dining room at Triomphe in
NYC for a horizontal of 2000 Bordeaux. As people gathered and socialized,
several bottles of 2001 Les Arums de Lagrange (Bordeaux) circulated. The white
of Lagrange, it had rich pear fruit, a light waxy note, good finish. A B/B+ on
my easy scale.

We sat down, and wines flowed. All of the 2000 Bordeaux had been
double-decanted 4 to 6 hours in advance. Some of the wines were quite closed
down anyway, but some swirling usually opened them up a bit. Read my notes with
even more of a grain of salt than usual.

Flight one: Graves & Margaux
My first course was scallops in a porcini foie gras butter.

2000 Smith-Haut-Lafitte-Quiet nose, oak and sweet Merlot-ish fruit on palate. B

2000 Pape- Clément-earth and mineral, sweet cassis fruit, beautifully balanced
A/A-

2000 Palmer - really tannic (all these wines are, but really noticed here) but
great black fruit, fleshy but structured, A

2000 Malescot-St. -Exupéry- earth , a little animal , not bad B/B+

2000 Ch. d'Issan *- rich fruit, perfumed, very good B+/A-

2000 du Tertre - lots of people found it accessible, but I found this quite
closed. Some black plum and cedar, the tannins more outfront and the fruit
quieter than a few months ago (from same case). Needs time B+

Flight two: St. Julien, Pauillac, and St. Estèphe
I had a beef filet over lambshank risotto

2000 Lagrange *-medium-bodied but with a firm structure, earthy, red and black
berry fruit, quite classy B+

2000 Léoville Barton - challenger to the Palmer for my WOTN. Flowers and
framboise on the nose, cassis on the palate, long long finish. A

2000 Calon-Ségur- ripe ripe nose, a little flat on the palate. B

2000 Pichon Lalande- initially I got a wierd funk- kind of eucalyptus meets
pine needle, but that blows off, but there remained a definite touch of
green-ness to the wine. This is a $100+ wine in a ripe vintage? C+/B-
(lots of discussion about this one- a few loved it, a few absolutely hated it,
most of us were in the middle- but I don't think anyone in the middle was
rushing out to buy some).

2000 Lynch Bages- I thought tannic and closed, others disagreed. B? (with
realization that almost impossible to know what'll happen when wine opens up)

2000 Pichon Baron -ripe tannins, rich black fruit, very very nice. A-

Flight three: St. Émilion & Pomerol
Nice cheese plate ( I ignored the blue and the goat during the reds).
2000 Corbin* -fared very well against much more expensive neighbors. Sweet and
round, open, mineral and earth notes, really quite nice. B+

2000 Figeac -earth and oak, almost California-ish at first.

2000 Pavie -lots of oak, lots of fruit, sweet, heavy. Well-made if not my
style. B+

2000 Hosanna- ripe, ripe, very low-acid , perfumed, could be Napa. B/B-

2000 Bon Pasteur-red fruit, smooth and fat, somewhat short on finish. B

2000 La Fleur-Pétrus-lush yet structured, earth and red plum. B+/A-

Afterwards a few bonus pours made the rounds. Mark Goldetz had provided a
double magnum of 1982 St. Pierre. Sweet fruit, a (pleasant) aroma of dead
leaves, but fading fast, little in the way of finish. B (and drink up).
A bottle of 1982 Pavie showed well, classic Right Bank, very unlike its modern
successor. B++
The 1989 Kerpen Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese (1 star) showed more petrolly and a
little less sweet than my other bottle a year or so ago. A little slate, some
apricot and orange. B+
A 1976 Wgt. Schneider Merler König(? can't read this part)-Terrassen
Beerenauslese had a little petrol, some (slightly tired) tropical fruit,
complex finish. B+ (and drink up!).
1977 Graham's Vintage Port - I wrote "a little hot" (hell, it's port!) , still
firm tannins, raisins and fig.

Kudos to the organizers (mainly Michael Jessen and Mark Golodetz), the
restaurant and Chris Wilford the wine director (very accomodating, and food was
very fine), Jim How and the BWE board, and the all of the guests, who made it a
fun evening.

* the owners of Issan, Corbin, and Lagrange were in attendance, and offered us
some informed opinions on 2000 & 2003. I was happy that all 3 of their wines
showed well, as I could tell them how much I enjoyed them honestly and openly.
I sat across from the owner of Issan (Emmanuel Cruze, hope that's correct
spelling) who was very informative and pleasant.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B
a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party
where it was only choice.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Thomas Curmudgeon

Great notes, but no grade for the Figeac? I wondered because I have some
and have not tried it.
Dale Williams

In article <IqWQb.46304$Ar1.5055@fed1read04>, Thomas Curmudgeon >
writes:

>Great notes, but no grade for the Figeac? I wondered because I have some
>and have not tried it.

Oops, got up halfway thru typing and commenced at next wine. Figeac should have
read:

2000 Figeac -earth and oak, almost California-ish at first. But some air leads
to a more classic St. Émilion, with earth, red fruit and herbs.B+

Personally, unless I had a lot, I'd hold off for a few years (or decant very
early).

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Anders Tørneskog

Default Big dinner, lots of 2000 Bordeaux

"Dale Williams" > wrote in message
> A 1976 Wgt. Schneider Merler König(? can't read this part)-Terrassen
> Beerenauslese had a little petrol, some (slightly tired) tropical fruit,
> complex finish. B+ (and drink up!).

Merler Königslay-Terrassen

:-) Anders

Dale Williams

In article >, "Anders Tørneskog"
> writes:

>Merler Königslay-Terrassen

thanks!
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Dale Williams

In article . 17>, jcoulter
> writes:

> 2000 Smith-Haut-Lafitte-Quiet nose, oak and sweet Merlot-ish fruit on
>> palate. B

>So what do I have in the way of '00 bordeaux? You guessed it. How is this
>going to be in the long run or should I drink it and enjoy?

Hey, I wouldn't worry:
1) My notes are amateur, just my impressions
2) I think someone said Parker gave a 94
3) As I said, these wines are somewhat closed right now

I thought this somewhat California-ish/international/Parkerized, pretty fat and
fruit forward. Good in its own way. It's always a little bit of a guessing game
as to whether the oak will integrate, etc. Personally , just guessing, I would
bet against this being a 25-30 year wine, but think that 5 to 7 more years
would probably do it good.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Michael Bartlett

Thanks Dale, I always appreciate your easy scale - its a quick and dirty way
to find wines to try.

Is this wine: http://www.everywine.co.uk/invt/2624
the same as this one:
2000 Léoville Barton - challenger to the Palmer for my WOTN. Flowers and
framboise on the nose, cassis on the palate, long long finish. A

Only not the same vintage...
===

And I'm guessing that the Palmer is this one:
http://www.everywine.co.uk/invt/lvx001274

Anyone want to sponser poor old me a case of that!? That's almost a months
salary that is!

Tom S

"Michael Bartlett" > wrote in message
> And I'm guessing that the Palmer is this one:
> http://www.everywine.co.uk/invt/lvx001274
>
> Anyone want to sponser poor old me a case of that!? That's almost a months
> salary that is!

I assume that's for a _case_ of the 2000 Palmer. That puts it at
~$300/bottle - right?

Tom S

Michael Bartlett

Yeah, £175 a bottle. The most I've ever forked out was £110 for 98 Grange -
fortunately I was able to just buy 4 bottles whereas with Everywine you
pretty much have to buy by the case.

"Tom S" > wrote in message
om...

> "Michael Bartlett" > wrote in message
> > And I'm guessing that the Palmer is this one:
> > http://www.everywine.co.uk/invt/lvx001274
> >
> > Anyone want to sponser poor old me a case of that!? That's almost a

months
> > salary that is!

> I assume that's for a _case_ of the 2000 Palmer. That puts it at
> ~$300/bottle - right?
>
> Tom S

Dale Williams

>Is this wine: http://www.everywine.co.uk/invt/2624
>the same as this one:
>2000 Léoville Barton
>Only not the same vintage...
>===

No, that's the second (which we seldom see in US). I haven't tried, but I quite
liked the '99 Léoville Barton, which goes for $36 here. But I tend to find
seconds to be good deals only in very strong vintages. Though based on the 99
LBarton the second might be nice (though early drinking).

>And I'm guessing that the Palmer is this one:
>http://www.everywine.co.uk/invt/lvx001274
>Anyone want to sponser poor old me a case of that!? That's almost a months
>salary that is!

I think the days for buying the "name" classified 2000 Bdx are past, prices are
up there.

thanks for reading, Dale
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Michael Bartlett

Forgive my ignorance - but what exactly is the/a second?

"Dale Williams" > wrote in message
> >Is this wine: http://www.everywine.co.uk/invt/2624
> >the same as this one:
> >2000 Léoville Barton
> >Only not the same vintage...
> >===

> No, that's the second (which we seldom see in US). I haven't tried, but I

quite
> liked the '99 Léoville Barton, which goes for $36 here. But I tend to find
> seconds to be good deals only in very strong vintages. Though based on the

99
> LBarton the second might be nice (though early drinking).
>
> >And I'm guessing that the Palmer is this one:
> >http://www.everywine.co.uk/invt/lvx001274
> >Anyone want to sponser poor old me a case of that!? That's almost a

months
> >salary that is!

> I think the days for buying the "name" classified 2000 Bdx are past,

prices are
> up there.
>
> thanks for reading, Dale
> Dale
>
> Dale Williams
> Drop "damnspam" to reply

Dale Williams

In article <1075130004.795411@shiraz>, "Michael Bartlett"
> writes:

>Forgive my ignorance - but what exactly is the/a second

Nothing to forgive, I should have explained. A second is a wine that a chateaux
offers (a few even offer a third) as a less-expensive, earlier drinking
alternate to its flagship wine. It can be made from grapes from vines
considered too young for the main wine, or from a section of vineyard that did
not do quite as well. Another factor can be the mix of varietals (cépage) for a
particular year. A vineyard might be planted 60% Cab. Sauv., 20% Merlot, 15%
Cab. Franc, and 5% Petit Verdot. But winemaker might decide a particular year
was particularly successful for Cab. Sauv., and increase to 70%.

Good chateaux tend to take pride in their seconds, and sell off any substandard
grapes/juice. Then the seconds can provide a good glimpse of a chateau's style,
albeit usually in a slightly lighter, earlier-drinking form.

Most famously, obviously, are the seconds of the 1st growths, like Pavillon
Rouge of Ch. Margaux and Bahabns-Haut-Brion. Some others that are often good
are Sarget de Gruaud-Larose, Reserve de la Comtesse (Pichon-Lalande, though I'd
be hesitant re this one after tasting the 2000 first), Les Fiefs de Lagrange,
La Chapelle de la Mission Haut-Brion, & La Dame de la Montrose.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Dale Williams

In article >, Lawrence Leichtman
> writes:

>I have 3 bottles of the Pinchon-Lalande. Do you think there is any hope
>for an aging improvement in these wines? Normally I really like
>Pinchon-Lalande but this is the most disappointing review I've read and
>it seemed to be uniform across the group tasting and multiple bottles.

Lawrence,

as someone said, this is shaping up to be the biggest debate over a wine since
the love-it-or-hate-it '90 Pichon Lalande. In other tastings, several folks
said they loved this wine (as did RP & the sucker from WS, who hold more weight
than me!). A few theories that were put out:
1) something (the petit verdot component?) is going thru a wierd phase, that
time will smooth it out
2)the critics got a "special" barrel , and the wine is horribly vegetal. The
winemaker I was talking to during dinner just said "this is green, and there's
no excuse for green in 2000!"
3) there's some component of the wine that contains something that people have
varied sensitivities or reactions to (like how some folks don't detect TCA)
4) there's some kind of lot variation going on (even if we got from several
sources, probably same lot bound for eastern US). Though I think this would
have to be lot variation in the assemblage, as this tasted like no damage I've
ever experienced (and Mark Golodetz, a contributing editor at WE and one of the
organizers of dinner, said he got the same greenness in a barrel sample).

All of those theories but #2 hold out some hope for you. While I'm sure you got
these wines with idea of drinking them in 12-30 years, if I were you I'd open
one now . Give it plenty of air, then try. If you love it, put others to bed.
If you don't like it (in finding an off flavor, not just finding it too young),
then I'd sell on winecommune trumpeting the WA/WS scores. Because what's
important is how you like it. And personally I have trouble imagining that
greeness ever completely integrating.I hope you like it!

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Lawrence Leichtman

In article >,
amnspam (Dale Williams) wrote:

> In article >, Lawrence
> Leichtman
> > writes:
>

> >I have 3 bottles of the Pinchon-Lalande. Do you think there is any hope
> >for an aging improvement in these wines? Normally I really like
> >Pinchon-Lalande but this is the most disappointing review I've read and
> >it seemed to be uniform across the group tasting and multiple bottles.

> Lawrence,
>
> as someone said, this is shaping up to be the biggest debate over a wine
> since
> the love-it-or-hate-it '90 Pichon Lalande. In other tastings, several folks
> said they loved this wine (as did RP & the sucker from WS, who hold more
> weight
> than me!). A few theories that were put out:
> 1) something (the petit verdot component?) is going thru a wierd phase, that
> time will smooth it out
> 2)the critics got a "special" barrel , and the wine is horribly vegetal. The
> winemaker I was talking to during dinner just said "this is green, and
> there's
> no excuse for green in 2000!"
> 3) there's some component of the wine that contains something that people
> have
> varied sensitivities or reactions to (like how some folks don't detect TCA)
> 4) there's some kind of lot variation going on (even if we got from several
> sources, probably same lot bound for eastern US). Though I think this would
> have to be lot variation in the assemblage, as this tasted like no damage
> I've
> ever experienced (and Mark Golodetz, a contributing editor at WE and one of
> the
> organizers of dinner, said he got the same greenness in a barrel sample).
>
> All of those theories but #2 hold out some hope for you. While I'm sure you
> got
> these wines with idea of drinking them in 12-30 years, if I were you I'd open
> one now . Give it plenty of air, then try. If you love it, put others to bed.
> If you don't like it (in finding an off flavor, not just finding it too
> young),
> then I'd sell on winecommune trumpeting the WA/WS scores. Because what's
> important is how you like it. And personally I have trouble imagining that
> greeness ever completely integrating.I hope you like it!
>

> Dale
>
> Dale Williams
> Drop "damnspam" to reply

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try one this weekend.
Dale Williams

>Thanks for the suggestion. I will try one this weekend.

Just to cheer you up, here's a comment just posted re the 2000 Pichon Lalande
from one of the organizers of this event (a good taster, who works for an
auction house):

"Yes, I liked Pichon Lalande.** When I tasted it, I wanted to curl up with both
it and a nice medium-rare New York sirloin.* Throw in some steamed veggies and
sauteed mushrooms and I would be in heaven.* Yes, I thought there was something
"green," but I the bottle I tasted from seemed full and showy and I likened it
to "stewed vegatables and fruit with hints of grilled meat and black pepper."*
Some people may not like this.* I do.* I guess I've just been drinking to much
run-of-the mill Bordeaux and this gal popped out at me as an unusual creature
to spend some more time with in the future"

So not everyone disliked. Looking forward to your notes.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Lawrence Leichtman

In article >,
amnspam (Dale Williams) wrote:

> >Thanks for the suggestion. I will try one this weekend.

> Just to cheer you up, here's a comment just posted re the 2000 Pichon Lalande
> from one of the organizers of this event (a good taster, who works for an
> auction house):
>
> "Yes, I liked Pichon Lalande.** When I tasted it, I wanted to curl up with
> both
> it and a nice medium-rare New York sirloin.* Throw in some steamed veggies
> and
> sauteed mushrooms and I would be in heaven.* Yes, I thought there was
> something
> "green," but I the bottle I tasted from seemed full and showy and I likened
> it
> to "stewed vegatables and fruit with hints of grilled meat and black
> pepper."*
> Some people may not like this.* I do.* I guess I've just been drinking to
> much
> run-of-the mill Bordeaux and this gal popped out at me as an unusual creature
> to spend some more time with in the future"
>
> So not everyone disliked. Looking forward to your notes.
> Dale
>
> Dale Williams
> Drop "damnspam" to reply

Opened one bottle last night and stewed fruit was my impression. It was
very fruit forward which to me is unusual in a Pinchon Lalande. I didn't
get any grilled meat or black pepper (maybe green pepper was more like
it. The fruit was not unpleasant but did have a raisiny component in it
which ruins a Bourdeaux for me. I've decided the other two bottle will
go for acution on winecommune.com

TN: Midtier 2000 Bordeaux DaleW Wine 2 03-11-2015 12:35 AM
Couple 2000 Bordeaux Bi!! Wine 3 21-11-2011 10:59 PM
2000 and earlier Bordeaux Bill S. Wine 0 24-10-2010 07:54 PM
2000 Bordeaux Young Martle Wine 11 28-02-2005 07:51 PM
When to drink a 2000 Bordeaux Scott Wine 19 08-03-2004 11:56 PM