Chuck Reid

Default Ontario Canada - Vines damage??

Greetings;
I wonder if some members or lurkers here with interests in the Canadian,
Ontario based wine industry can enlighten us with respect to the following.

Last year wine grape growers here in Ontario suffered considerable damage
and winter kill to vines due to the extreme cold. Given the current deep
freeze we here in Southern Ontario are experiencing can we expect further
damage? What's the prognosis for the future?

I've spoken to quite a few growers who lost a significant number of vines
and as a result are rethinking their varietal plantings and fringe
locations. Indeed, it has been suggested to me that this kind of phenomenon
is beneficial to the quite new industry in the long run as it teaches the
industry what and where to plant. Stiff medicine if you've got deep enough
pockets to survive the short term and reap the benefits in the long run.
--
Regards
Chuck

To reply, delete NOSPAM from return address

Xyzsch

>I wonder if some members or lurkers here with interests in the Canadian,
>Ontario based wine industry can enlighten us with respect to the following.

>Last year wine grape growers here in Ontario suffered considerable damage
>and winter kill to vines due to the extreme cold.

It gets even colder in eastern WA, and they plant Cabernet Sauv. there. NYS and
southern Ontario have exterme temps of -20 F every few years. If they can grow
these warm weather grapes in WA, they should survive the eastern winters in
what is essentially a maritime climate. The limiting factor in these areas is
sufficient summertime heat.

Not that there won't be cold damage... I hear reports of damage in Walla Walla,
WA this year, but they are commited to the warm weather reds there (Cab Sauv,
Merlot, and Syrah).

I just hope the jet stream flattens out soon. Our snow here in WY is getting
icy after a week of very warm weather. The trail crew is doing a wonderful job
of grooming the XC trails, in spite of no new snow.

Tom Schellberg