Chris Lake

Default Sunday night tasting

1st wine up was a 2001 Ostertag Pinot Gris, thankfully someone brought this
since I had been persuaded by a local wine merchant to buy some. I was
hopeing to taste some nice rich fruit with a fairly stricking acidity but to
my disapointment it showed very little fruit. from my notes I found quite a
bit of butter and vanilla, a little peach and a sharp acidity. Is the lack
of fruit normal??
I will probably try another bottle on the weekend and see if there is any
difference.

2 judging by the colour it looked to be a bit older than the other four
wines at the table. On the nose there was an obvious amount of green
peppers, it also had a very blood like taste (animal- like) also a small
burnt taste. In general it was very pleasant. 1989 Chateau Roudier, Montagne
Saint-Emilion

3 Obvious cherry (black cherry) nose , a little tobaco, tannins were present
but not in excess and still had a dominance of acidity, 1995 Carpineto
Chianti Classico Riserva

4 this one had a smokey taste, with quite a bit of fruit on the nose, a
little pepper, and a little burnt rubber?! very similar in taste to a
norther rhone but with much much less intensity, Chateau des Estanilles,
Faugères ( not the one with the white lable, its baby bros. still produced
by Michel Louison)

5 the last was slightly disapointing, very unidimentional, very plane,
vanilla, oak, little fruit , J. Lohr cab sauvignon

...Chris

Tasting last night Bi!! Wine 0 24-04-2012 07:44 PM
Sunday night chat? Christine Dabney General Cooking 0 14-04-2008 07:07 AM
Sunday Night Chat jmcquown General Cooking 0 06-08-2007 04:13 AM
Anyone for a sunday night chat? Karen AKA Kajikit General Cooking 11 30-01-2007 01:00 PM
Sunday night dinner Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 5 20-11-2006 02:06 PM