Erik Hornung

Default Chianti

I'd like to pick up a few bottles of Chianti this week...does anyone have
any favourable recommendations? I'm looking for something in the $20-35
dollar range.

Thanks!

Erik

Anders Tørneskog

"Erik Hornung" > wrote in message
> I'd like to pick up a few bottles of Chianti this week...does anyone have
> any favourable recommendations? I'm looking for something in the $20-35
> dollar range.

Where are you, Erik?

Anders

Dale Williams

As Anders says, knowing where you are let's people make more informed advice.

But, as a generality, I'd look for Chianti Classicos from the "3 Fs" (Felsina,
Fontodi, and Fonterutoli) or Isole e Olena. The regular CCs should be $15-25US
most places, and the riservas and single vineyards closer to $35. Regular di
Ama is usually about $35, but I don't think it deserves that much of a premium
over the others, myself.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Anders Tørneskog

"Dale Williams" > wrote in message
> As Anders says, knowing where you are let's people make more informed

advice.

> But, as a generality, I'd look for Chianti Classicos from the "3 Fs"

(Felsina,
> Fontodi, and Fonterutoli) or Isole e Olena.

The reason I asked was simply that the O.P.'s Scandinavian name combined
with a price range in $ (Hong Kong, Australia?) gave no clue as to his
locality...
I was a wee bit surprised to see that all the above mentioned were available
in Norway, though on special order, which means you'll have to wait 4-5 days
to get your bottles at the local shop. Prices ranged about 25-30USD by the
way, also for the di Ama.
Anders

Erik Hornung

Sorry, im from Edmonton. It's in Canada.

"Anders Tørneskog" > wrote in message

> "Erik Hornung" > wrote in message
> > I'd like to pick up a few bottles of Chianti this week...does anyone

have
> > any favourable recommendations? I'm looking for something in the $20-35
> > dollar range.
> >

> Where are you, Erik?
>
> Anders

Dale Williams

In article <_4GMb.9478$wf1.423@edtnps89>, "Erik Hornung"
> writes:

>Sorry, im from Edmonton. It's in Canada.

ok, if you meant $20-35 CAD, that's about $15-25 USD these days? So the basic
CCs I suggested would still work; riservas might be pushing it.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Mark Lipton

Dale Williams wrote:

> ok, if you meant $20-35 CAD, that's about $15-25 USD these days? So the basic
> CCs I suggested would still work; riservas might be pushing it.

Yes, I'd go for the regular Felsina CC in that price range. FWIW, I was
absolutely in agreement with your earlier recommendations, Dale.

Mark Lipton

jspill

You can't go wrong with a Ruffino Chianti Classico. The Melini is very good
also.

"Erik Hornung" > wrote in message
> I'd like to pick up a few bottles of Chianti this week...does anyone have
> any favourable recommendations? I'm looking for something in the $20-35
> dollar range.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Erik

Ian Mundell

Anyone familiar with the Vignamaggio Chianti Classico Riserva? My
local stores have it "on sale" for $USD 22.99. I haven't tried it
before, but I'd like to pick up a few bottles if it's a decent chianti
at a reasonable price?

"jspill" > wrote in message link.net>...
> You can't go wrong with a Ruffino Chianti Classico. The Melini is very good
> also.
>
> "Erik Hornung" > wrote in message
> > I'd like to pick up a few bottles of Chianti this week...does anyone have
> > any favourable recommendations? I'm looking for something in the $20-35
> > dollar range.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Erik

t.schnack

Gio wrote:

> Yes, I am familiar with the Vignamaggio Chianti Classico Riserva. I have
> a few of the 1999 vintage here at home and they are very tasty. They got
> three glasses from the Gambero Rosso guide. I think the 2000 version
> aswell.

This is the listing of the best Chianti wines according to Gambero Rosso
2004 guide.

the full listing can be found he
http://www.slowfood.com/eng/sf_vino/sf_vino.lasso

Chianti Classico Castello di Ama ?00 Castello di Ama

Chianti Classico Castello di Brolio ?00 Barone Ricasoli

Chianti Classico Castello di Fonterutoli ?00 Castello di Fonterutoli

Chianti Classico Cellole Riserva ?00 San Fabiano Calcinaia

Chianti Classico Doccio a Matteo Riserva ?00 Caparsa

Chianti Classico Grosso Sanese ?01 Podere Il Palazzino

Chianti Classico Poggio Rosso Riserva ?00 San Felice

Chianti Classico Rancia Riserva ?00 Fattoria di Felsina

Chianti Classico Riserva Ducale Oro ?00 Tenimenti Ruffino

Chianti Classico Vigna il Poggiale Riserva ?00 Castellare di Castellina

Chianti Rufina Montesodi ?01 Marchesi de? Frescobaldi

Gio

Yes, I am familiar with the Vignamaggio Chianti Classico Riserva. I have
a few of the 1999 vintage here at home and they are very tasty. They got
three glasses from the Gambero Rosso guide. I think the 2000 version aswell.

It's a quite modern Chianti, but hey, which Chianti isnt these days...

I bought my bottles in an enoteca in Greve in Chianti for 19 euro. So,
23 $US doesnt sound to bad at all.

Happy tasting!

Gio
The Netherlands

Ian Mundell wrote:

> Anyone familiar with the Vignamaggio Chianti Classico Riserva? My
> local stores have it "on sale" for $USD 22.99. I haven't tried it
> before, but I'd like to pick up a few bottles if it's a decent chianti
> at a reasonable price?
>
> "jspill" > wrote in message link.net>...
>
>>You can't go wrong with a Ruffino Chianti Classico. The Melini is very good
>>also.
>>
>>"Erik Hornung" > wrote in message
>>
>>>I'd like to pick up a few bottles of Chianti this week...does anyone have
>>>any favourable recommendations? I'm looking for something in the $20-35
>>>dollar range.
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>>
>>>Erik

Michael Pronay

"t.schnack" > wrote:

> This is the listing of the best Chianti wines according to
> Gambero Rosso 2004 guide.
>
> [...]

I wouldn't take any list of top Chianti for serious that doesn't
list La Massa's "Giorgio Primo". Does anyone - Mike T.? - know why
it's not included here?

M.
t.schnack

Michael Pronay wrote:

> I wouldn't take any list of top Chianti for serious that doesn't
> list La Massa's "Giorgio Primo". Does anyone - Mike T.? - know why
> it's not included here?

Can't answer, anyway it was awarded by the same guide in the
2001, 2002 and 2003 editions. The 2003 listing seems to be not
available in the English site.

Casasilia ?99 Poggio al Sole
Castello di Ama ?99 Castello di Ama
Castello di Brolio ?99 Barone Ricasoli
Castello di Fonterutoli ?99 Castello di Fonterutoli
Castello di Monna Lisa Ris. ?99 Villa Vignamaggio
Giorgio Primo ?00 La Massa
Grosso Sanese ?00 Il Palazzino
Ris. ?99 Carobbio
Ris. ?99 Riecine
Ris. ?99 San Vincenti
Vigneto San Marcellino Ris. ?99 Rocca di Montegrossi
Mike Tommasi

On 3 Feb 2004 10:27:54 GMT, Michael Pronay > wrote:

>"t.schnack" > wrote:
>
>> This is the listing of the best Chianti wines according to
>> Gambero Rosso 2004 guide.
>>
>> [...]

>I wouldn't take any list of top Chianti for serious that doesn't
>list La Massa's "Giorgio Primo". Does anyone - Mike T.? - know why
>it's not included here?

True, it had been on the list 8 years in a row, why the disappearance
in 2004?

I can ask Gigi Piumatti when I see him next, but two things come to
mind.

One, the guide is a collaboration between two very different entities,
Gambero Rosso AND Slow Food. The way they split the tastings
nationwide changes each year, and who knows who got to judge the
Chianti Classico.

Two, in 2004 the guide responded to some of the protests of many of us
Slow Food types, and recognizing that the guide had become,
paradoxically, an accomplice of the overwhelming Italian tendency
towards overoaked high-tech international wines, it finally decided to
make the swing and penalize wineries that used oak to flavour wine (as
opposed to maturing it), that used concentrators, or that used
excessively heavy oenological tricks.

How Giorgio Primo is affected by the above considerations, I don't
know.

Mike
Michael Pronay

Mike Tommasi > wrote:

>>I wouldn't take any list of top Chianti for serious that doesn't
>>list La Massa's "Giorgio Primo". Does anyone - Mike T.? - know
>>why it's not included here?

> [good answers]
>
> How Giorgio Primo is affected by the above considerations, I
> don't know.

Thank you Mike. Anyhow, I'll be in Tuscany for the "3 consorzi"
manifestazione next week, and chances are good that I'll meet
Giampaolo Motta to ask about hs opinion. (It might be the oak
issue, since he is quite a barrique follower - but then the wine
takes it easily, at least imho.)

M.

Joe

On 2004-02-03 16:58:25 -0600, Michael Pronay > said:

> Mike Tommasi > wrote:
> >>I wouldn't take any list of top Chianti for serious that doesn't
> >>list La Massa's "Giorgio Primo". Does anyone - Mike T.? - know >>why

it's not included here?
> > [good answers] >
> > How Giorgio Primo is affected by the above considerations, I > don't

know.
> Thank you Mike. Anyhow, I'll be in Tuscany for the "3 consorzi"

manifestazione next week, and chances are good that I'll meet Giampaolo
Motta to ask about hs opinion. (It might be the oak issue, since he is
quite a barrique follower - but then the wine takes it easily, at least
imho.)
> M.

I believe the reason is that the Gambero Rosso will only give one 3G per
winery per year, and La Massa/Giampaolo is releasing his new Super Tuscan
(1/3 Sang., 1/3 Cab Sav., 1/3 Merlot) to take place of his less expensive
CC. The new Super Tuscan '01 is rated 3G and the Giorgio Primo '01 will
most likely receive 3G next time. It's more great planning for the release
of his new killer red, then anything else! I can't wait to try it! I
understand it won't be in the US market until some time in late March.

Michael Pronay

Joe > wrote:

> I believe the reason is that the Gambero Rosso will only give
> one 3G per winery per year,

I don't think so, since according to
<http://www.tigulliovino.it/slowfood/tre_bicchieri.htm> I see both

Barbaresco ’00 Gaja
and
Langhe Nebbiolo Sorì San Lorenzo ’99 Gaja

> and La Massa/Giampaolo is releasing his new Super Tuscan (1/3
> Sang., 1/3 Cab Sav., 1/3 Merlot) to take place of his less
> expensive CC. The new Super Tuscan '01 is rated 3G

Must be this one:

La Massa ’01 La Massa

> and the Giorgio Primo '01 will most likely receive 3G next time.

OK, let's wait and see.

M.
Mike Tommasi

On 3 Feb 2004 10:27:54 GMT, Michael Pronay > wrote:

>"t.schnack" > wrote:
>
>> This is the listing of the best Chianti wines according to
>> Gambero Rosso 2004 guide.
>>
>> [...]

>I wouldn't take any list of top Chianti for serious that doesn't
>list La Massa's "Giorgio Primo". Does anyone - Mike T.? - know why
>it's not included here?

The guys on IHV have been helpful. Apparently the winery has delayed
the release of Giorgio Primo by a year, so the 2001 is not out yet,
hence it could not be tasted...

Mike
Michael Pronay

Mike Tommasi > wrote:

>> I wouldn't take any list of top Chianti for serious that
>> doesn't list La Massa's "Giorgio Primo". Does anyone - Mike T.?
>> - know why it's not included here?

> The guys on IHV have been helpful.

Usenet, mon amour ... :-)

> Apparently the winery has delayed the release of Giorgio Primo
> by a year, so the 2001 is not out yet, hence it could not be
> tasted...

Thanks for the info, Michele.

M.

TN: $5 Chianti DaleW Wine 0 22-08-2008 04:38 PM
2004 Chianti DaleW Wine 0 03-05-2008 02:58 PM
TN: '05 Chianti DaleW Wine 0 23-01-2008 11:22 PM
Chianti? J J Levin Wine 203 24-01-2007 06:28 PM
Chianti Classico Tasting.. Great Chianti's and an AMAZING Vin Santo Wildetuinn Wine 0 15-09-2006 08:06 AM