Kimi

Default Buying a few to try, are these terrible selections?

As someone who very much enjoys champagne, I want to give wine drinking a
try. Here is what I thought I might try:

Firestone's 2001 Cabernet Sauvignon, Firestone's 2001 Chardonnay,
Firestone's 2003 Riesling, Prosperity Merlot, and maybe a couple of Korbel's
wines.

Is this a silly trial run? Can all of these wines be drank when purchased?

Everyone will laugh at my question I'm sure, but I'm more than a beginner.
Thanks. I'm going to purchase a book or two as well. Any good magazines?

Thanks.

jeffc

"Kimi" > wrote in message
t...
> As someone who very much enjoys champagne, I want to give wine drinking a
> try. Here is what I thought I might try:
>
> Firestone's 2001 Cabernet Sauvignon, Firestone's 2001 Chardonnay,
> Firestone's 2003 Riesling, Prosperity Merlot, and maybe a couple of

Korbel's
> wines.
>
> Is this a silly trial run?

Kind of a wide open question, isn't it? Kind of like saying "I'm thinking
of buying a car - should I try the Ford Mustang, Ford Crown Victoria, Ford
Freestar, Pontiac Grand Am, and maybe a couple Chevies?"

Kimi

"jeffc" > wrote in message
r.com...

> Kind of a wide open question, isn't it? Kind of like saying "I'm thinking
> of buying a car - should I try the Ford Mustang, Ford Crown Victoria, Ford
> Freestar, Pontiac Grand Am, and maybe a couple Chevies?"

Well, I'd say that would be ok to try all those different cars, so I guess
it is ok to try these different wines?

jeffc

"Kimi" > wrote in message
news

> "jeffc" > wrote in message
> r.com...
>
> > Kind of a wide open question, isn't it? Kind of like saying "I'm

thinking
> > of buying a car - should I try the Ford Mustang, Ford Crown Victoria,

Ford
> > Freestar, Pontiac Grand Am, and maybe a couple Chevies?"

> Well, I'd say that would be ok to try all those different cars, so I guess
> it is ok to try these different wines?

You have *my* permission.

Mike

Kimi wrote:
> As someone who very much enjoys champagne, I want to give wine drinking a
> try. Here is what I thought I might try:
>
> Firestone's 2001 Cabernet Sauvignon, Firestone's 2001 Chardonnay,
> Firestone's 2003 Riesling, Prosperity Merlot, and maybe a couple of Korbel's
> wines.
>
> Is this a silly trial run? Can all of these wines be drank when purchased?
>
> Everyone will laugh at my question I'm sure, but I'm more than a beginner.
> Thanks. I'm going to purchase a book or two as well. Any good magazines?
>
> Thanks.

No, only way to find out is to try it. However, you're not giving
wine-drinking a try... you're giving one winery a try. If you're into
champagne you might consider Robert Mondavi 2001 Fume Blanc instead of
the chardonnay. Closer to your turf I'd imagine. If you want to try red
wines I'd start on the lighter side, perhaps a Pinot Noir. If you like
even fruitier try a (French) 2003 Beaujolais. If you want something with
more gravity try Cline Small Berry Mourvedre 2001.

Xyzsch

>s someone who very much enjoys champagne, I want to give wine drinking a
>try. Here is what I thought I might try:
>
>Firestone's 2001 Cabernet Sauvignon, Firestone's 2001 Chardonnay,
>Firestone's 2003 Riesling, Prosperity Merlot, and maybe a couple of Korbel's
>wines.
>
>Is this a silly trial run? Can all of these wines be drank when purchased?
>

>Thanks.

I attended a tasting of Firestone wines last year. A pretty good producer,
although I remember the Riesling was awful. I really liked the Sauvignon Blanc
by this producer..one of the few CA Sauv Blancs that isn't oaked to death. I do
not remember the Cabernet specifically, but my recollection was that the reds
were at least decent. You would want to drink the Cab Sauv within three to
five years, I suspect. If drinking now, decant for at least an hour.

In general, CA Rieslings are pretty awful, in my opinion. Stick to the European
versions of this grape, for the most part.

I would second the idea that you want to taste from a variety of wine regions
and producers. (This is a long-term goal, although in the short-term, sampling
from one winery is not a bad idea, especially at tastings.)

Tom Schellberg

Kimi

> I would second the idea that you want to taste from a variety of wine

regions
> and producers. (This is a long-term goal, although in the short-term,

sampling
> from one winery is not a bad idea, especially at tastings.)

Thanks for all the suggestions by everyone. Being someone who enjoys
champagne, do you think I'll feel hit in the face on my first couple wines?
haha. I've had a little red before, no idea what it was, and I found it
enjoyable so maybe I will be surprised. I suspect I will enjoy the whites
more, but who knows?

Are there any champagne-only people in the world? haha. Perhaps I should
remain one of them, it is so much simpler. Only the Champagne region in
France to worry about.

Perhaps going on one of the suggestions I'll try an Australian Pinot Noir as
one of my first reds.

What kind of wine is typical to find in the grocery stores? Worthwhile
stuff there?

Bill Spohn

>> Firestone's 2001 Cabernet Sauvignon,

Ah yes - bit of burnt rubber in the nose. Must have been a Goodyear.....but I
guess you are getting tired of this.......
Ed Rasimus

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 07:23:42 GMT, "Kimi"
> wrote:

>Thanks for all the suggestions by everyone. Being someone who enjoys
>champagne, do you think I'll feel hit in the face on my first couple wines?
>haha. I've had a little red before, no idea what it was, and I found it
>enjoyable so maybe I will be surprised. I suspect I will enjoy the whites
>more, but who knows?
>
>Are there any champagne-only people in the world? haha. Perhaps I should
>remain one of them, it is so much simpler. Only the Champagne region in
>France to worry about.
>
>Perhaps going on one of the suggestions I'll try an Australian Pinot Noir as
>one of my first reds.
>
>What kind of wine is typical to find in the grocery stores? Worthwhile
>stuff there?

Well, Kimi, you've proven yourself a good sport and taken a bit of
kidding here. Between the lines, however, there is always some good
advice.

If you like Champagne, you probably won't be "hit in the face" by dry
whites and may be pleasantly surprised by some fruity reds. While
Champagne is fun, it often strikes me as a bit apple-juicy. It takes a
lot of $$$ to get into great champers and those wonderful toasty,
yeasty, flavors. My favorite, which unfortunately I don't drink enough
of, is Bollinger in all versions. But, don't restrict yourself to just
France (although that is "authentic"). You'll find some French houses
doing a pretty nice product out of California these days. Domain
Chandon is one of them. Also check out Gruet from New Mexico.

For reds, I'd avoid Aussie Pinot Noir. It isn't a varietal they are
noted for. Look instead for Shiraz and spend about $12-18 for a nice
one. There are some characteristics of certain varietals (grape types)
that I find--others may disagree. If you like black or red cherries,
try Pinot Noir--California's Russian River Valley or Oregon's
Williamette Valley are noteworthy.

If you like spice, blackberry, raspberry, pepper, you might explore
zinfandels (not, repeat NOT, "white zinfandel"). If you like smooth
with a hint of chocolate, you could try Merlot. Expect Cabernet
Sauvignon to show dark flavors ranging from leather and tar to smoke,
cassis, blueberry and vanilla. There's a very broad range of flavors
that show up in cab sauv.

For whites, note that the basic grape for the Champagne that you like
is chardonnay. Expect chards to be stand-alone wines, with a lot of
butter, vanilla, some apple and melon flavors. There's a broad range
of styles here as well.

For drier whites, check Sauvignon blanc which is often called "flinty"
or citrusy. Pinot grigio or pinot gris, tend to be very ligtht, crisp
and often show melon, pear or apple flavors.

For sweet whites, there's a wide range of rieslings, both German and
Austrian and less "in-your-face" from the New World.

Shopping for wine in grocery stores isn't a good plan if you want to
experience some variety and good wine. Find a liquor store that stocks
a lot of wine. Depending upon the size of city you live in, you may
find some huge emporia or you may need to simply scout out a
wine-friendly merchant in a small store.

Have fun, drink wine and report back to us on your explorations.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Bill Spohn

>Nothing like a B F good rich cab. Or a continental one.

Gee - I think I'm Riken your suggestion....my hat's off Toyo
Young Martle

On 05 Jan 2004 14:08:31 GMT, (Bill Spohn) wrote:

>>> Firestone's 2001 Cabernet Sauvignon,

>Ah yes - bit of burnt rubber in the nose. Must have been a Goodyear.....but I
>guess you are getting tired of this.......

Can we end this thread now!

st.helier

"enoavidh" wrote in message

>>> Ah yes - bit of burnt rubber in the nose.
>>> Must have been a Goodyear

> > Can we end this thread now!

> Yes, it seems to have gone flat...

Yes, end it now - everyone has gone Falken mad!!!!

Bill Spohn

>> > Can we end this thread now!
>>
>> Yes, it seems to have gone flat...

>Yes, end it now - everyone has gone Falken mad!!!!

Yes, definitely time to re-tire this thread!

(I liked the Falken!)