Tom S

Default Mystery Wine

This query appeared on the rec.crafts.winemaking group. I'm taking the
liberty of reposting it here because I think it's more likely that one of
the a.f.w. regulars will be able to figure it out. I'm curious about the
wine too. (I wish he'd indicated the color and shape of the glass, as well
as whether it appears to be red or white wine.)

Tom S

"Cape Bretoner" > wrote in message
I recently found a bottle of wine that is over 100 years old. I am
trying to find out more about this bottle of wine, type content etc
and am looking for assistance.

There is no label on the wine, it came from a shipwreck that I know
when it sunk But am unable to locate a manifest for.

The only identifing marks are the cork, which have the following on
it.

One stamp is as follows,

**ELINARIS
Company
Limited.

Where the ** is letters that I cannot make out.

On the opposite side is an oval with writing around it and a symbol in
the center. The symbol is not identifible and only part of the
writing is legible.

It has the following...

B**NNE

POLLI**

Is there anyone out there that could help me to determine the
contents?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Stephen

Please reply to

Cwdjrx _

The "limited" makes me believe the "wine" was probably bottled by a
company in the British Empire at the time. But are we sure the bottle
even contains wine as we know it? There were all sorts of medicinal
wines and tonics made back then. Many were in large bottles and used
corks. For example, I looked at a copy of a 1897 Sears catalog. They
offer many things in bottles that might be confused with a wine bottle
if labels were removed. One jewel is Peruvian Wine of Coca. The active
ingredient is cocaine from an extract of coca leaves. I quote: "If you
wish to accomplish double the amount of work or have to undergo an
unusual amount of hardship always keep a bottle of our Peruvian Wine of
Coca near you." Beef ,iron and wine was also sold as a tonic. Bitters
were common including orange wine stomach bitters. There also were
several very non-wine items such as spirits of turpentine that were sold
in large bottles that might be confused with a wine bottle. Other items
that could not be sold today include tincture of opium and arsenic
complexion pills, but these were sold in containers that would not be
confused with a wine bottle.

My mailbox is always full to avoid spam. To contact me, erase
from my email address. Then add . I do not
check this box every day, so post if you need a quick response.

Tea Mystery gtr General Cooking 54 04-02-2013 05:24 PM
TN: 1985 claret at Mortons, plus 82, a mystery wine (still amystery), CA, etc. DaleW Wine 3 04-02-2010 01:22 PM
wine taste mystery too ripe or jammy Pino[_2_] Winemaking 12 01-02-2009 04:23 PM
Mystery Wine Redhart Wine 0 14-03-2005 02:59 AM
The mystery of ageing wine? Matija Grozni Wine 19 09-10-2004 01:09 PM