larkin1734

Default Champagne with sushi?

The last few times I've had sushi, I'd drunk a NV Domaine Chandon Blanc de
Noirs sparkler. The first time, that was the only bottle I had available.
We liked it so much, I repeated it again. I like the pairing of the
carbonation and yeastiness with the saltiness of the soy sauce. I tend to
go light on the wasabi, partly because I don't like it overpowering and
partly because I think it would overwhelm any beverage except beer.

Anyone have other recommendations for sparkling wines to pair with sushi?
I'm open to bubblies from any part of the world, with preference for
something in the $15-25 USD price range.

--
To email directly, use l a r k i n 1 7 3 4 a t e a r t h l i n k d o t n e t

pavane

" larkin1734" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> The last few times I've had sushi, I'd drunk a NV Domaine Chandon Blanc de
> Noirs sparkler. The first time, that was the only bottle I had available.
> We liked it so much, I repeated it again. I like the pairing of the
> carbonation and yeastiness with the saltiness of the soy sauce. I tend to
> go light on the wasabi, partly because I don't like it overpowering and
> partly because I think it would overwhelm any beverage except beer.
>
> Anyone have other recommendations for sparkling wines to pair with sushi?
> I'm open to bubblies from any part of the world, with preference for
> something in the $15-25 USD price range.

The French Montand is good, as are all of the California sparklers,
why not go down the list?

BTW before it went under the California house of Kornell held trade
tastings of its sparkling wines in sushi houses. Wonderful combo.

pavane

James Silverton

"pavane" > wrote in message
om...

> " larkin1734" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> > The last few times I've had sushi, I'd drunk a NV Domaine Chandon Blanc

de
> > Noirs sparkler. The first time, that was the only bottle I had

available.
> > We liked it so much, I repeated it again. I like the pairing of the
> > carbonation and yeastiness with the saltiness of the soy sauce. I tend

> > go light on the wasabi, partly because I don't like it overpowering and
> > partly because I think it would overwhelm any beverage except beer.
> >
> > Anyone have other recommendations for sparkling wines to pair with

sushi?
> > I'm open to bubblies from any part of the world, with preference for
> > something in the $15-25 USD price range.
> >

> The French Montand is good, as are all of the California sparklers,
> why not go down the list?
>
> BTW before it went under the California house of Kornell held trade
> tastings of its sparkling wines in sushi houses. Wonderful combo.

AFAIK, champagne has always been a good match with smoked salmon or oysters
so champagne with sushi is an interesting notion that I have never tried but
must do so! Unfortunately, the wine lists of the sushi restaurants that I
know are very meager and it would have to be take-home sushi.

Jim

pavane

"James Silverton" > wrote in message

> "pavane" > wrote in message
> om...
> >
> > " larkin1734" > wrote in message
> > ink.net...
> > > The last few times I've had sushi, I'd drunk a NV Domaine Chandon

Blanc
> de
> > > Noirs sparkler. The first time, that was the only bottle I had

> available.
> > > We liked it so much, I repeated it again. I like the pairing of the
> > > carbonation and yeastiness with the saltiness of the soy sauce. I

tend
> > > go light on the wasabi, partly because I don't like it overpowering

and
> > > partly because I think it would overwhelm any beverage except beer.
> > >
> > > Anyone have other recommendations for sparkling wines to pair with

> sushi?
> > > I'm open to bubblies from any part of the world, with preference for
> > > something in the $15-25 USD price range.
> > >

> > The French Montand is good, as are all of the California sparklers,
> > why not go down the list?
> >
> > BTW before it went under the California house of Kornell held trade
> > tastings of its sparkling wines in sushi houses. Wonderful combo.
> >

> AFAIK, champagne has always been a good match with smoked salmon or

oysters
> so champagne with sushi is an interesting notion that I have never tried

but
> must do so! Unfortunately, the wine lists of the sushi restaurants that I
> know are very meager and it would have to be take-home sushi.

Or a brown bagged sparkler...most sushi houses do not have good
wine lists and seem fairly willing to allow customers to bring their
own wines in (for a modest corkage, of course.)

pavane

You're eating sushi all wrong! Tokyo sushi chef teaches proper way toeat sushi Travis McGee General Cooking 86 12-09-2015 02:41 AM
brief TN: Sushi and Champagne DaleW Wine 1 09-08-2013 05:46 PM
TN: Champagne and Sushi DaleW Wine 0 23-08-2012 03:09 PM
Correct Sushi Manners, or how to behave in a Sushi Restaurant ( Video-Clip ) ChoiManHansi Sushi 8 25-03-2006 12:31 AM
Correct Sushi Manners, or how to behave in a Sushi Restaurant ( Video-Clip ) [email protected] Restaurants 0 21-03-2006 07:53 PM