Al

Default Red wine matching chinese food

Please recommend red wines that works well with chinese food. I'm more
interested in wines with a price tag less than 20 USD. Thanks!

Al

Godzilla

Al wrote:

> Please recommend red wines that works well with chinese food. I'm more
> interested in wines with a price tag less than 20 USD. Thanks!
>
> Al

What do you have against drinking Tea with Chinese food the way Chinese
people do? You can purchase enough of the finest Tea in China to make a pot
full for MUCH less than 20 USD.

When I am in France, do I need to order a potfull of Ti Kuan Yin to go with
my Pate de Fois Gras?

--
Godzilla
Martin Field

"Al" > wrote in message
.. .
> Please recommend red wines that works well with chinese

food. I'm more
> interested in wines with a price tag less than 20 USD.

Thanks!

> Al

Australian sparkling reds seem to work well. They tend to be
softer and not quite as dry as their non-sparkling siblings
and this can enhance certain Chinese dishes - even Szechuan
cuisine. A favourite is the Seppelt vintage Sparkling
Shiraz.
Martin

Ken Blake

In news:3fd24f4a$0$7581$afc38c87@,
David Rheault > typed:

>> Given the usual "family-style" serving of many different

Chinese
>> dishes, it is hard to think of any one suitable wine. A dry

Riesling
>> might be possible but I have always stuck to beer or tea as I

think
>> do most Chinese.

> This seems to be sound advice:

http://www.aasingapore.com/san_archi...hinesefood.htm

I think it's a very strange article, and I wouldn't trust his
opinions.

Some of what he says seems to be sound advice, but he says
Sancerre is French for Sauvignon Blanc, which of course it
isn't. Then he says "Dim Sum is a very simple dish and works best
with an un-oaked Chardonnay." Of course, Dim Sum isn't a dish at
all, but a whole style of serving small dishes. *Some* of them
might work with an un-oaked Chardonnay; others would match it
terribly.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Kieran Dyke

I find that grenache and grenache blends work well with spicy food in
general - szechuan, mexican, indian, anything.

Tiggrr

"Al" > wrote in message
.. .
> Please recommend red wines that works well with chinese food. I'm more
> interested in wines with a price tag less than 20 USD. Thanks!
>
> Al

TB

"Martin Field" > wrote in message >...
> "Al" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > Please recommend red wines that works well with chinese

> food. I'm more
> > interested in wines with a price tag less than 20 USD.

> Thanks!
> >
> > Al
> >

> Australian sparkling reds seem to work well. They tend to be
> softer and not quite as dry as their non-sparkling siblings
> and this can enhance certain Chinese dishes - even Szechuan
> cuisine. A favourite is the Seppelt vintage Sparkling
> Shiraz.
> Martin

Interesting thought! I recall eating a stir-fried meal with a bottle
of Brachetto a couple of years back. I had got the bottle from a
friend whose family made wines in Piemonte and opened it without
knowing what to expect. But it turned out to be a good decision.

Cheers

PS: My friend also gave me some good Nebbiolo and Barbera. Have been
meaning to visit the family vinyard in the Monferrato area for many
years now. Hopefully the coming spring!
A Liu

Well, are you talking about american chinese? At least I'm not the kind of
chinese drinking tea during a dinner. Usually chinese drinking tea well
before or after dinner.

"Godzilla" > wrote in message
> Al wrote:
>
> > Please recommend red wines that works well with chinese food. I'm more
> > interested in wines with a price tag less than 20 USD. Thanks!
> >
> > Al

> What do you have against drinking Tea with Chinese food the way Chinese
> people do? You can purchase enough of the finest Tea in China to make a

pot
> full for MUCH less than 20 USD.
>
> When I am in France, do I need to order a potfull of Ti Kuan Yin to go

with
> my Pate de Fois Gras?
>
> --
> Godzilla

Godzilla

A Liu wrote:

Then, what do YOU drink with your food? A whole bottle of Kao Liang ? ;-)
Unfortunately, I am not Chinese, but in restaurants from New York's
Chinatown, San Fransico's Chinatown, and Hong Kong that I have been to, the
only thing that I've ever seen being consumed WITH food by Chinese people
is either tea or beer.

Godzilla

--
Godzilla
A Liu

Soup. Beer in summer.

"Godzilla" > wrote in message
> A Liu wrote:
>
> Then, what do YOU drink with your food? A whole bottle of Kao Liang ? ;-)
> Unfortunately, I am not Chinese, but in restaurants from New York's
> Chinatown, San Fransico's Chinatown, and Hong Kong that I have been to,

the
> only thing that I've ever seen being consumed WITH food by Chinese people
> is either tea or beer.
>
> Godzilla
>
> > Well, are you talking about american chinese? At least I'm not the kind

of
> > chinese drinking tea during a dinner. Usually chinese drinking tea well
> > before or after dinner.

more

> >> What do you have against drinking Tea with Chinese food the way Chinese
> >> people do? You can purchase enough of the finest Tea in China to make a

> > pot
> >> full for MUCH less than 20 USD.
> >>
> >> When I am in France, do I need to order a potfull of Ti Kuan Yin to go

> > with
> >> my Pate de Fois Gras?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Godzilla

> --
> Godzilla

Dale Williams

As an aside on subject of Chinese food and wine, it was a sad thing for NYC
winelovers to hear recently that Henry Leung was moving to Napa to open a
restaurant. He had a Cantonese restaurant on Upper East Side, and a passion for
wine. He was dedicated to showing that there could be great pairings.

Saying what red wine matches with Chinese food is impossible. It's like saying
which wine pairs with European food. The problem of course is that "Chinese
food" is not even one cuisine, but a group of regional cuisines. The wine for a
Cantonese dish is not neccesarily going to be great for Szechuan, Shanghai,
Fukien, Peking/Northern dishes. And the same wine is probably not best choice
for chicken, beef, pork, and seafood dishes.

Robert Parker I believe is on record commenting on the affinity of Nebbiolo and
dim sum dumplings with a soy/shoyu dipping sauce. I've loved a good Bourgogne
with Peking duck. Beef with broccoli is pretty good with a simpler Bordeaux or
CalCab.
Hope you find a wine you like!

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply

Ken Blake

In news:3fd4a363$0$7598$afc38c87@,
David Rheault > typed:

> "Ken Blake" > wrote in message
>> In news:3fd24f4a$0$7581$afc38c87@,
>> David Rheault > typed:

>> Chinese

>> Riesling

>> think
>> >

>> > This seems to be sound advice:

http://www.aasingapore.com/san_archi...hinesefood.htm

>> I think it's a very strange article, and I wouldn't trust his
>> opinions.
>>
>> Some of what he says seems to be sound advice, but he says
>> Sancerre is French for Sauvignon Blanc, which of course it
>> isn't. Then he says "Dim Sum is a very simple dish and works

best
>> with an un-oaked Chardonnay." Of course, Dim Sum isn't a dish

at
>> all, but a whole style of serving small dishes. *Some* of them
>> might work with an un-oaked Chardonnay; others would match it
>> terribly.

> Thanks for your comments. I agree that he is overgeneralizing

with
> the dim sum. But if one were to confine oneself to seafood dim

sum
> then a few of his suggestions certainly would work. I still

don't
> know what an optimum red would be.

To me, the problem with wine with Chinese meals is that you
typically eat many dishes, and the dishes represent a large range
of tastes. If you're looking for a single wine to go with
everything, there isn't one.

So I tend to choose beer, whih I think goes at least reasonably
well with a wide variety of dishes. If I do have wine,, it's
invariably white for a similar reason; even if it's not ideal
with everything, it's less likely to be a terrible mismatch with
some things than a red would be.

I think that there therefore is no optimum red.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Mike Tommasi

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 14:01:18 -0700, "Ken Blake"
>To me, the problem with wine with Chinese meals is that you
>typically eat many dishes, and the dishes represent a large range
>of tastes.

A problem, but also what makes it so attractive ;-)

> If you're looking for a single wine to go with
>everything, there isn't one.

No, and I am digressing from the red requirement, I know, but here is
a cuisine (that is, to us westerners it appears as one) that probably
goes well with top TBA, SGN and other highly complex noble rot wines.
I bet you the chinese themselves would approve. I mean truly complex,
very concentrated but balanced wines. And you don't need much of it, a
regular 750 ml bottle would be enough for 6-8 people, so you can
afford it too.

Mike
Ken Blake

In ,
Mike Tommasi > typed:

> On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 14:01:18 -0700, "Ken Blake"
>>To me, the problem with wine with Chinese meals is that you
>>typically eat many dishes, and the dishes represent a large

range
>>of tastes.

> A problem, but also what makes it so attractive ;-)

Absolutely! I'm the first to agree. But it makes it hard to match
with wines, unless you want to have a different wine with each
course. Since so often courses are served simultaneously, that's
usually hard to do.

>> If you're looking for a single wine to go with
>>everything, there isn't one.

> No, and I am digressing from the red requirement, I know, but

here is
> a cuisine (that is, to us westerners it appears as one) that

probably
> goes well with top TBA, SGN and other highly complex noble rot

wines.
> I bet you the chinese themselves would approve. I mean truly

complex,
> very concentrated but balanced wines. And you don't need much

of it, a
> regular 750 ml bottle would be enough for 6-8 people, so you

can
> afford it too.

I've never had Chinese food with a top TBA, but I'd bet I'd like
it. I have had it with lesser dessert wines and I agree that it
isn't a bad choice.

Unfortunately, most Chinese restaurants, at least in the USA,
don't have much of a wine list, and a top TBA is probably pretty
hard to come by.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

David Rheault

"Dale Williams" > wrote in message
> As an aside on subject of Chinese food and wine, it was a sad thing for

NYC
> winelovers to hear recently that Henry Leung was moving to Napa to open a
> restaurant. He had a Cantonese restaurant on Upper East Side, and a

passion for
> wine. He was dedicated to showing that there could be great pairings.
>
> Saying what red wine matches with Chinese food is impossible. It's like

saying
> which wine pairs with European food. The problem of course is that

"Chinese
> food" is not even one cuisine, but a group of regional cuisines. The wine

for a
> Cantonese dish is not neccesarily going to be great for Szechuan,

Shanghai,
> Fukien, Peking/Northern dishes. And the same wine is probably not best

choice
> for chicken, beef, pork, and seafood dishes.
>
> Robert Parker I believe is on record commenting on the affinity of

Nebbiolo and
> dim sum dumplings with a soy/shoyu dipping sauce. I've loved a good

Bourgogne
> with Peking duck. Beef with broccoli is pretty good with a simpler

Bordeaux or
> CalCab.
> Hope you find a wine you like!
>
> Dale

Perhaps these people would also have some opinions on the matter:

http://www.huaxia-greatwall.com.cn/english/product.htm

dcr

Godzilla

A Liu wrote:

I'll drink too your good choice! If only I lived a little closer to Hong
Kong, my stomach could be happy once more. There is no other family of
cuisines in the world with more variety or subtle nuances.

Godzilla

--
Godzilla

TN: Food/wine matching: 2 whiffs, 1 double, 1 single DaleW Wine 0 24-03-2011 03:32 AM
Food and Wine matching livefuz Wine 0 15-04-2010 07:01 AM
venison with wine jelly matching DaleW Wine 3 23-09-2008 04:35 PM
Food Matching - Basis in wine components? Midlife Wine 2 23-09-2006 09:25 PM
Wine with Chinese Food Bill Spohn Wine 8 12-12-2003 04:30 PM