Treemoss2

Default ever heard of Blackwood Canyon?

Have a few bottles of their wine after visit there and their chardonnay was the
BEST.
Anyone know of a comparable chardonnay?

Next time I am up in WA Columbia River area (Tri--cities) I'l definitely get
some more from the winery, but until then...

The wines by this vintner are made "sur lees". And I think it gives an
excellent flavor. So a comparable chardonnay may be hard to find. I do not know
how many other wines are made in the same fashion.
D. Gerasimatos

In article >,
Treemoss2 > wrote:

>Have a few bottles of their wine after visit there and their chardonnay was the
>BEST.
>Anyone know of a comparable chardonnay?
>
>Next time I am up in WA Columbia River area (Tri--cities) I'l definitely get
>some more from the winery, but until then...
>
>The wines by this vintner are made "sur lees". And I think it gives an
>excellent flavor. So a comparable chardonnay may be hard to find. I do not know
>how many other wines are made in the same fashion.

Never heard of the winery, but "sur lie" aging is not that uncommon. For
example, Mondavi's budget Woodbridge chardonnay is aged "sur lie".

Dimitri

Treemoss2

I just looked up the Mondavi as you noted. I will get a bottle and see how it
is. Although I see that they do only 40% sur lie with their wine.
I see they recommend it chilled, but I think I will have it room temp (55-60).
The Blackwood was bold and flavorful at that temp.

The Blackwood canyon winery was they most engaging and informative and
entertaining tasting I have ever done, and by most unusual and sort of colorful
character. We spent 3 hours there tasting.

D. Gerasimatos

In article >,
Treemoss2 > wrote:

>I just looked up the Mondavi as you noted. I will get a bottle and see how it
>is. Although I see that they do only 40% sur lie with their wine.
>I see they recommend it chilled, but I think I will have it room temp (55-60).
>The Blackwood was bold and flavorful at that temp.

I didn't mean to recommend that wine, just to point out that even some
mass-produced budget wines are aged sur lie. A lot of chardonnay is
produced sur lie, both in California and in France. J. Lohr, Landmark,
Pine Ridge, Beringer, Chateau St. Jean, and Rutherford Ranch are some
other common producers that age sur lie, but there are tons more boutique
wineries that also do. I have found that I like wine aged sur lie, but
that doesn't mean I like *all* wine aged sur lie. It's just a part of the
winemaking process.

>The Blackwood canyon winery was they most engaging and informative and
>entertaining tasting I have ever done, and by most unusual and sort of colorful
>character. We spent 3 hours there tasting.

Sounds like a good time.

Dimitri

grazzc

Not heard of blackwood, but there is a woodward canyon winery in that area.
Rick Small makes some fantastic chardonnay and world class cabs too. Must
check my Chuck Hill, for the Blackwood.

grazz

"D. Gerasimatos" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Treemoss2 > wrote:
> >
> >I just looked up the Mondavi as you noted. I will get a bottle and see

how it
> >is. Although I see that they do only 40% sur lie with their wine.
> >I see they recommend it chilled, but I think I will have it room temp

(55-60).
> >The Blackwood was bold and flavorful at that temp.

> I didn't mean to recommend that wine, just to point out that even some
> mass-produced budget wines are aged sur lie. A lot of chardonnay is
> produced sur lie, both in California and in France. J. Lohr, Landmark,
> Pine Ridge, Beringer, Chateau St. Jean, and Rutherford Ranch are some
> other common producers that age sur lie, but there are tons more boutique
> wineries that also do. I have found that I like wine aged sur lie, but
> that doesn't mean I like *all* wine aged sur lie. It's just a part of the
> winemaking process.
>

> >The Blackwood canyon winery was they most engaging and informative and
> >entertaining tasting I have ever done, and by most unusual and sort of

colorful
> >character. We spent 3 hours there tasting.

> Sounds like a good time.
>

> Dimitri

CuteCat

> The wines by this vintner are made "sur lees". And I think it gives an
> excellent flavor. So a comparable chardonnay may be hard to find. I do not

know
> how many other wines are made in the same fashion.

The guy who owns/runs the place has been a maverick forever in Walla Walla
lore. He can come up with some amazing wines (especially his dessert stuff)
or he comes up with really bizarre blends.

Whenever I or friends have been to the winery he has been unfailing
friendly, informative, and generous. One of my friends (a pediatric nurse)
thought he probably had ADHD. But she liked him, and bought a case of what
he had there.

Treemoss2

>The guy who owns/runs the place has been a maverick forever in>>

He certainly had some plans and dreams he told us about.
I refer to him as itchy-scratchy and my girlfriend and I have a laugh about it
when we drink his wine.
In apearace his place is a cut below the average wine tasting room, but homey
and down to earth. It is appropriate that it is located down a long gravel road
during which you wonder if there is even a winery at the end of it.
I LOVED that chardonnay.