Jayesh Mehta

Default Newbie: Syrah?

Ok, I am just getting interested in wines. In terms of "strongness" I would
rate the 3 reds I am familiar with in this order:
1. Pinot Nior
2. Merlot
3. Cabernet
With Cabernet being the strongest.

Haven't tried Syrah yet: Can someone tell me how strong (may be acidic)
Syrah is?

Thanks,
Jay

jcoulter

"Jayesh Mehta" > wrote in
nk.net:

> Ok, I am just getting interested in wines. In terms of "strongness" I
> would rate the 3 reds I am familiar with in this order:
> 1. Pinot Nior
> 2. Merlot
> 3. Cabernet
> With Cabernet being the strongest.
>
> Haven't tried Syrah yet: Can someone tell me how strong (may be
> acidic) Syrah is?
>
> Thanks,
> Jay

"strong" is a very subjective word, but I believe that you will find
that syrah can have at least as much "strength" as Cabernet, although
the character is different (for that matter some Pinots are less light
than others) Just as Rioja (especially the reservas) from Spain can have
many of the characteristics of a Cabernet though made with a different
grape entirely.

Is strong actually equal to good? I have found it much more useful to
regard wines by my preference and forget the rest. If I tell the group
that I generally like Vino Nobile de Montepulciano ( at least I love to
say it, lol) then they can determine what other wines I am likely to
appreciate.

Then there is the style of the winemaker which can make some wines
"softer" than others though made from the same grape.

Welcome to the crazy world of wines!
D. Gerasimatos

In article et>,
Jayesh Mehta > wrote:

>Ok, I am just getting interested in wines. In terms of "strongness" I would
>rate the 3 reds I am familiar with in this order:
>1. Pinot Nior
>2. Merlot
>3. Cabernet
>With Cabernet being the strongest.

I would actually rate pinot noir ahead of merlot, but syrah is decidedly
deeper and more acidic. I would place it behind the cab and ahead of the
other two on your list.

Dimitri

Kieran Dyke

"Jayesh Mehta" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> Ok, I am just getting interested in wines. In terms of "strongness" I

would
> rate the 3 reds I am familiar with in this order:
> 1. Pinot Nior
> 2. Merlot
> 3. Cabernet
> With Cabernet being the strongest.
>
> Haven't tried Syrah yet: Can someone tell me how strong (may be acidic)
> Syrah is?
>
> Thanks,
> Jay

Varies a bit, and I may be speaking primarily for Australian shiraz, but I'd
say that most Shiraz is stronger than most Cabernet. Certainly at a tasting
I'll drink Pinot, then Merlot or Grenache, then Cabernet, then Shiraz.

Kieran

[TN] '01 Io Syrah Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 6 15-03-2010 05:56 PM
Three flavors of Syrah Bi!! Wine 4 26-03-2007 06:45 PM
Syrah cybercat General Cooking 0 08-12-2006 01:03 AM
Italian Syrah Ed Rasimus Wine 4 04-12-2006 08:00 PM
newbie following newbie pu er threads Lara Burton Tea 12 29-08-2005 05:26 PM