Larry

Default Should I do it?

I have a little extra cash now and would like to treat myself. Should
I buy the 99 CAB SAUVIGNON ALEXANDER VALLEY SILVER OAK?

Thought I'd cellar it for 6 years so when I turn 60 I'd crack it open.
Maybe at 60 I deserve a better bottle to crack. What ya think?
What should I be opening in another 6 years. I love big reds.

Larry Stumpf,
S. Ontario,
Canada

Larry Stumpf,
S. Ontario,
Canada
SJP

I did... But if you take WS as gospel, you'd be better off spending the
money on 3 bottles of 2000 Franciscan Oakville Cab Napa.

I'm in the mode now where I have to buy two of everything, because I just
don't have the self control to leave something unknown in my cellar for a
long time. So I drink one and save the other... I did buy only one Silver
Oak 99 AV, but only because my wife "wouldn't approve" of spending that much
on a single bottle. I do plan to soon use stealth techniques to buy another
one and drink it so I can see what all the fuss is about.

As for the Franciscan, I could swear I saw it at BJ's for $20. I'm going
back tomorrow to find out...

"Larry" > wrote in message
> I have a little extra cash now and would like to treat myself. Should
> I buy the 99 CAB SAUVIGNON ALEXANDER VALLEY SILVER OAK?
>
> Thought I'd cellar it for 6 years so when I turn 60 I'd crack it open.
> Maybe at 60 I deserve a better bottle to crack. What ya think?
> What should I be opening in another 6 years. I love big reds.
>
> Larry Stumpf,
> S. Ontario,
> Canada
>
> Larry Stumpf,
> S. Ontario,
> Canada

Dana Myers

SJP wrote:
> I did... But if you take WS as gospel, you'd be better off spending the
> money on 3 bottles of 2000 Franciscan Oakville Cab Napa.

Or two and half bottles of almost any Merryvale Napa Cab.

Or two bottles of Estancia Alexander Valley Meritage...

Or two bottles of Franciscan Magnificat.

I'm pretty sure I've had the '99 SO Alexander Valley,
it was really really good. It wasn't *that* good.

Or three bottles of Arroyo Napa Cab. Mmmmmmmmmm....

Dana
larkin1734

:
: Or two and half bottles of almost any Merryvale Napa Cab.
:
: Or two bottles of Estancia Alexander Valley Meritage...
:
: Or two bottles of Franciscan Magnificat.
:
: I'm pretty sure I've had the '99 SO Alexander Valley,
: it was really really good. It wasn't *that* good.
:
: Or three bottles of Arroyo Napa Cab. Mmmmmmmmmm....
:
: Dana

Dana,

Are you referring to the Vincent Arroyo Winery in Calistoga? If yes, I had
a very nice tasting experience there a few years back. Talked with the
owner (was referred by another winemaker who is a friend of Vince). Low-key
experience. I recall a cab-merlot blend named Joy's Choice (named after
their black labrador retriever), which I liked better than the individual
varietals that were available that day.

--
To email directly, use l a r k i n 1 7 3 4 a t e a r t h l i n k d o t n e t

Dale Williams

In article <OuEsb.186261$Tr4.534235@attbi_s03>, "SJP" > writes:

>As for the Franciscan, I could swear I saw it at BJ's for $20. I'm going
>back tomorrow to find out...

$20 sounds about right. Usually a decent CalCab for the money. Unless the
Portugese Menace gets in the way (I opened the '97 Oakville Estate last night-
aaaarrrgggghhhhhhh!!).
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply

Cliff Brown

" larkin1734" > wrote:

>"Dana Myers" > wrote in message news:3fb32678$1@wobble...
>: SJP wrote:
>: > I did... But if you take WS as gospel, you'd be better off spending the
>: > money on 3 bottles of 2000 Franciscan Oakville Cab Napa.
>:
>: Or two and half bottles of almost any Merryvale Napa Cab.
>:
>: Or two bottles of Estancia Alexander Valley Meritage...
>:
>: Or two bottles of Franciscan Magnificat.
>:
>: I'm pretty sure I've had the '99 SO Alexander Valley,
>: it was really really good. It wasn't *that* good.
>:
>: Or three bottles of Arroyo Napa Cab. Mmmmmmmmmm....
>:
>: Dana
>
>Dana,
>
>Are you referring to the Vincent Arroyo Winery in Calistoga? If yes, I had
>a very nice tasting experience there a few years back. Talked with the
>owner (was referred by another winemaker who is a friend of Vince). Low-key
>experience. I recall a cab-merlot blend named Joy's Choice (named after
>their black labrador retriever), which I liked better than the individual
>varietals that were available that day.

We visited Vincent Arroyo Winery in May. Every wine he served was
great. I especially loved his Petite Sirahs.

I agree the Joy's Choice blend is also good, but it will be renamed
starting next year. Alas, Joy succumbed to age and is no more. The
next vintage will be named after the new lab, but I forget its name at
this moment.

Cliff
SJP

So would you say:
A) Franciscan is a bargain
B) Silver Oak is overpriced
C) Both
D) Neither

writes:

> >As for the Franciscan, I could swear I saw it at BJ's for $20. I'm going
> >back tomorrow to find out...

> $20 sounds about right. Usually a decent CalCab for the money. Unless the
> Portugese Menace gets in the way (I opened the '97 Oakville Estate last

night-
> aaaarrrgggghhhhhhh!!).
> Dale
>
> Dale Williams
> Drop "damnspam" to reply

Justin

The Franciscan Napa Cab 2000 is at Costco (Minneapolis) for $19.99.

"SJP" > wrote in message
> I did... But if you take WS as gospel, you'd be better off spending the
> money on 3 bottles of 2000 Franciscan Oakville Cab Napa.
>
> I'm in the mode now where I have to buy two of everything, because I just
> don't have the self control to leave something unknown in my cellar for a
> long time. So I drink one and save the other... I did buy only one

Silver
> Oak 99 AV, but only because my wife "wouldn't approve" of spending that

much
> on a single bottle. I do plan to soon use stealth techniques to buy

another
> one and drink it so I can see what all the fuss is about.
>
> As for the Franciscan, I could swear I saw it at BJ's for $20. I'm going
> back tomorrow to find out...
>

> "Larry" > wrote in message
> > I have a little extra cash now and would like to treat myself. Should
> > I buy the 99 CAB SAUVIGNON ALEXANDER VALLEY SILVER OAK?
> >
> > Thought I'd cellar it for 6 years so when I turn 60 I'd crack it open.
> > Maybe at 60 I deserve a better bottle to crack. What ya think?
> > What should I be opening in another 6 years. I love big reds.
> >
> > Larry Stumpf,
> > S. Ontario,
> > Canada
> >
> > Larry Stumpf,
> > S. Ontario,
> > Canada

Dana Myers

larkin1734 wrote:
> "Dana Myers" > wrote in message news:3fb32678$1@wobble...
> : SJP wrote:
> : > I did... But if you take WS as gospel, you'd be better off spending the
> : > money on 3 bottles of 2000 Franciscan Oakville Cab Napa.
> :
> : Or two and half bottles of almost any Merryvale Napa Cab.
> :
> : Or two bottles of Estancia Alexander Valley Meritage...
> :
> : Or two bottles of Franciscan Magnificat.
> :
> : I'm pretty sure I've had the '99 SO Alexander Valley,
> : it was really really good. It wasn't *that* good.
> :
> : Or three bottles of Arroyo Napa Cab. Mmmmmmmmmm....
> :
> : Dana
>
> Dana,
>
> Are you referring to the Vincent Arroyo Winery in Calistoga? If yes, I had
> a very nice tasting experience there a few years back.

Yes.

Great wine, great place to visit.

Dana