Mark Lipton

Default NYT article on small house Champagnes

For once, I find myself in general agreement with the NY Times tasting
panel. Here'e the link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/12/dining/12CHAM.html

[as always, free registration required to read it]

Mark Lipton

D. Gerasimatos

In article >,
Mark Lipton > wrote:

>For once, I find myself in general agreement with the NY Times tasting
>panel. Here'e the link:
>http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/12/dining/12CHAM.html
>
>[as always, free registration required to read it]

Will you please summarize? I do not wish to register.

Dimitri

dick

One of my new favorites is Paul Bara Brut Rose NV.

Its really nice. Small production. Found in Boston and purchased from a
guy in Florida for the Holidays.

Nice stuff. Really nice.

dick

"D. Gerasimatos" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Mark Lipton > wrote:
> >
> >For once, I find myself in general agreement with the NY Times tasting
> >panel. Here'e the link:
> >http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/12/dining/12CHAM.html
> >
> >[as always, free registration required to read it]

> Will you please summarize? I do not wish to register.
>

> Dimitri

JB

Egly-Ouriet à Ambonnay Brut Tradition Grand Cru NV $32 *** 1/2
The consensus favorite: Rich, round, lively, ripe and exuberant, Eric Asimov
raved. Amanda Hesser found flavors of peach, nuts and yeast. Tim Kopec
called it beautiful, completely satisfying. Karen King found delicate floral
notes and the scent of peaches.

Pierre Gimonnet & Fils Cuis Fleuron Brut Premier Cru Blanc de Blancs 1996
$40
*** 1/2
A revelation, King said, powerful but elegant, with aromas of toasted bread
and citrus. Kopec loved the flavors, calling it big and powerful but not
heavy. Asimov, too,
called it powerful yet elegant and balanced.

Gatinois Ay Brut Tradition NV $39 ** 1/2
Quite elegant, Hesser said. King liked its nuances, finding aromas of apple
peel and orange blossoms. Asimov called it dry, tangy and refreshing, with
high-pitched fruit aromas.

Chartogne-Taillet Merfy Brut Cuvée Ste.-Anne NV $28 **1/2
Long, complex and delicate, with notes of marzipan, Kopec said. Subtle - it
doesn't scream out at you, but it's all there, Hesser added. Asimov called
it light, elegant and
very fresh.

Pierre Moncuit Le Mesnil-sur-Oger Cuvée de Réserve Brut Grand Cru Blanc de
Blancs NV $29 ** 1/2
Light, delicious and very dry, with chalky mineral aromas and complexity,
Asimov said. Kopec found excellent balance and detected a sherry note. King
called it delicate and
simple with green apple aromas. Hesser, too, detected green apples as well
as minerals.

L. Aubrey Fils à Jouy-les-Reims Brut Classic Premier Cru NV $25 ** 1/2
Concentrated and persistent, with aromas of strawberries and wet earth,
Asimov said. King called the earthy quality wet clay, and liked its acidity.
Hesser liked the creamy
nose but found it very lemony.

Fleury Courteron Fleurs de l'Europe NV $39 **
Well balanced, hits the right notes, Hesser said. Kopec found balance and
complexity and liked its nerve. Asimov called it straightforward with
grapefruit aromas.

Henri Billiot Fils à Ambonnay Brut Réserve Grand Cru NV $30 **
King enjoyed the rounded texture, and called it nose candy. Hesser found
bright fruit, calling it rich, big and round, but said it needed more
acidity. Full bodied with strong
berry flavors, Asimov said.

Jacques Selosse Avize Blanc de Blancs Grand Cru NV $54 **
A thoroughly idiosyncratic Champagne that the panel puzzled over in the
context of the others. So distinctive, Kopec said, finding aromas of flowers
and potting soil. Asimov,
too, detected earth, as well as sage and vanilla, and found it fascinating.
King called it most unusual, and noted pineapple aromas. Hesser called it
intriguing and atypical.

Jean Milan à Oger Carte Blanche Brut Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs NV $28 **
Kopec loved this wine, calling it excellent with notes of flowers and
candied lavender. The others were lessenthusiastic.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/12/di...694015866324a4

--
"D. Gerasimatos" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Mark Lipton > wrote:
> >
> >For once, I find myself in general agreement with the NY Times tasting
> >panel. Here'e the link:
> >http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/12/dining/12CHAM.html
> >
> >[as always, free registration required to read it]

> Will you please summarize? I do not wish to register.
>

> Dimitri

JB

Here's the selections:

Tasting Report: Finding Distinct Flavors in the Bubbles

[...]

\\\|///
\\ - - //
( @ @ )
+---oOOo-(_)-oOOo------------+
| Sometimes I wish I was what|
|I was when I wished I was |
| what I am now. |
| ooo0 |
| ( ) 0ooo |
+---\ (----( )------------+
\_) ) /
(_/

"D. Gerasimatos" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Mark Lipton > wrote:
> >
> >For once, I find myself in general agreement with the NY Times tasting
> >panel. Here'e the link:
> >http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/12/dining/12CHAM.html
> >
> >[as always, free registration required to read it]

> Will you please summarize? I do not wish to register.
>

> Dimitri

JB

> [...]

--

\\\|///
\\ - - //
( @ @ )
+---oOOo-(_)-oOOo------------+
| Sometimes I wish I was what|
|I was when I wished I was |
| what I am now. |
| ooo0 |
| ( ) 0ooo |
+---\ (----( )------------+
\_) ) /
(_/

"D. Gerasimatos" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Mark Lipton > wrote:
> >
> >For once, I find myself in general agreement with the NY Times tasting
> >panel. Here'e the link:
> >http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/12/dining/12CHAM.html
> >
> >[as always, free registration required to read it]

> Will you please summarize? I do not wish to register.

D. Gerasimatos

In article et>,
JB > wrote:

[snip!]

>Pierre Gimonnet & Fils Cuis Fleuron Brut Premier Cru Blanc de Blancs 1996
>$40
>*** 1/2
>A revelation, King said, powerful but elegant, with aromas of toasted bread
>and citrus. Kopec loved the flavors, calling it big and powerful but not
>heavy. Asimov, too, called it powerful yet elegant and balanced.

This is one of my favorites. I bought 3 bottles at Christmas last year for
$19 each on special. The "Fleuron" is made exclusively with premier cru
fruit from old vines. Highly, highly recommended even at $40 and at half
that I bought all they had.

Thanks for the posting.

Dimitri