Default More recent notes....

Time to put these up for view:

Robert Chevillon, Nuits-St-Georges "les Puliers", 1998
Initially reveals some stewed plums, cherries, and Asian spicies on the
nose.
In the mouth, rich sour cherry and cooked cranberry sauce gives a
sweet-sour dimension to this
pinot. Smoke follows. Rather taut right now, this opens better later in
the night, the tight acidic background replaced by a sweeter roundness
while the nose takes on a candied-floral quality.
I'd wait to open more of these. B+ / 88-89

Clarendon Hills, Cabernet Sauvignon, Clarendon "Hickinbotham Vineyard",
1999
dark purple red. Closed nose upon initial opening, revealing only plum and
spiced smoke. Italian plums, blackcurrants, and rum fruitcake falling on
the sweet but moderately tannic finish of this full-bodied wine. The
concentrated sweetness and low acidity make this perfect for drinking now,
yet it could age several years further, although I doubt it would add
anything to it. B+ / 89

Jean Grivot, Nuits-St-Georges "les Charmois", 1995
Ouch! Tough and rough. Plummy and woody, with air time this becomes
slightly better, but not by much. Missing a middle. Young, dumb, or
nowhere in-between? B / 84

Pousse d'Or, Volnay "Clos de la Bousse d'Or", 2000
Compared to the previous thornbush, this is supple and sweet, ready for
current drinking from this forward vintage. Difficult to pin down (for me,
anyway) nose of an exotic, slightly perfumed nose that does not stay in
the glass. Lilacs perhaps? Floral flavors with light delicate raspberry
and smoke finish. Good, but light. Tannin-free, this is smooth, sweet,
with a voluptuous quality that I wouldn't want to keep for more than 3 or
4 years. I hesitate to give this better ratings because the structure
isn't there, so I give it a range from a B+ to an A- (89-90), but damn,
this is good stuff!

Chateau Raymond Lafon, Sauternes, 1990
medium-deep golden glow gold. Aromas of burnt maple syrup, dried apricots,
pineapples and buttered honeysuckly. On the tongue apricot jam, pineapple
marmalade and an almond-paste finish come through in this balanced
medium-sweet Sauternes. Delineated acidity. After warming in the glass,
the flavors become more tropical, reminding me of a coconut-lime meringue
pie. Yum!
solid A / 93

Stonefly, Cabernet Franc, Napa Valley, 1998
Fragrant spicy red fruits on the nose. Raspberry, sweet redcurrant and
pomegranite come through in this well made wine that I feel could pair
with many kinds of food. There is a lovely weight between concentration
and lightness in this wine which I feel is lacking in so many California
wines these days. Medium-bodied, this could be cellared for 1-3 more
years. B+/A- 89

Mark S

Dale Williams

thanks for the notes. The Chevillon being tight at first doesn't surprise me.
He makes wines for the long haul, and the '98s that are going to age are mostly
closed now (and rest are probably best ignored).

Surprised the Grivot is that tough, but if I had to guess, I'd say wait a while
more.

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Xyzsch

>Jean Grivot, Nuits-St-Georges "les Charmois", 1995
>Ouch! Tough and rough. Plummy and woody, with air time this becomes
>slightly better, but not by much. Missing a middle. Young, dumb, or
>nowhere in-between? B / 84

Is this woodiness, and short fruit typical of all the 95s? I've already dumped
on the 93's. I think I'll hold all my 93s and 95s for a couple years in hopes
that they soften.

>Pousse d'Or, Volnay "Clos de la Bousse d'Or", 2000
>Compared to the previous thornbush, this is supple and sweet, ready for
>current drinking from this forward vintage.

....etc. stating it's light and fruit forward without a lot of structure.

I'll have to try my Rully (Janthial) 2000. Screw the weight and structure. It's
probably lovely with salmon.

Tom Schellberg

Xyzsch > wrote:
:>Jean Grivot, Nuits-St-Georges "les Charmois", 1995
:>Ouch! Tough and rough. Plummy and woody, with air time this becomes
:>slightly better, but not by much. Missing a middle. Young, dumb, or
:>nowhere in-between? B / 84

: Is this woodiness, and short fruit typical of all the 95s? I've already dumped
: on the 93's. I think I'll hold all my 93s and 95s for a couple years in hopes
: that they soften.

Can't say for sure, as I never bought the 95's heavilly. This was the only
one I think I had from that vintage and I wanted to try it. Grivot *had* a
good reputation in the 1980's, but I think he lost it after 1990.

:>Pousse d'Or, Volnay "Clos de la Bousse d'Or", 2000
:>Compared to the previous thornbush, this is supple and sweet, ready for
:>current drinking from this forward vintage.

: ...etc. stating it's light and fruit forward without a lot of structure.

: I'll have to try my Rully (Janthial) 2000. Screw the weight and structure. It's
: probably lovely with salmon.

Tom, I'm sure it is. And Janthial's reds are never big bruisers anyway, so
dig in

Mark S
Xyzsch

Mark

Grivot's NSG Roncieres 88 tasted this year at our February dinner was
wonderful. Plenty of fruit. I tasted a couple of 95s (dried out). They were not
Grivot. I think Esmonin. I'll wait a couple years on more of these 95s, and
taste my leftover 90s, my 93 Beaune wines, and the aforementioned wines from
Janthial.

Thanks for the notes.

Tom Schellberg