FoodBanter.com

-   -   Gallo Confirms Tainted Wine (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/23013-gallo-confirms-tainted-wine.html)

Sam D. 06-11-2003 04:18 PM

Gallo Confirms Tainted Wine

An article in the Los Angeles Times reports that Gallo has confirmed that
traces of TCA have been found in wines bottled at its processing facility in
Sonoma. 90 different Gallo wines totaling nearly 2 million cases a year are
bottled there under such labels as Rancho Zabaco, Frei Brothers, Gallo of
Sonoma and Louis Martini. The chemical is not a health risk but can produce
an unpleasant off-taste in the wine.

TCA is the abbreviation for trichloroanisole, a chemical byproduct of the
interaction between mold and chlorine, which is used as a cleaning solution
and to bleach corks and oak barrels. Contaminated corks are often a source
of TCA in bottled wine. One of the mysteries of the Gallo contamination is
that the winery stopped using chlorine as a cleaning agent years ago

The Times article also mentions that Gallo which produces about a third of
California's wine, is the world's second largest wine producer.

I had thought that Gallo was the largest wine company . I was surprised to
find out elsewhere that the world's largest wine company is Constellation
Brands, a name totally unfamiliar to me although I did recognize its wine
brands.

Michael Pronay 06-11-2003 04:38 PM

"Sam D." > wrote:

> I was surprised to find out elsewhere that the world's largest
> wine company is Constellation Brands, a name totally unfamiliar
> to me although I did recognize its wine brands.

Where is "Constellation Brands" based, and what are its wine
brands?

M.

Clyde Gill 06-11-2003 05:00 PM

On 6 Nov 2003 16:38:18 GMT, Michael Pronay > wrote:

>"Sam D." > wrote:
>
>> I was surprised to find out elsewhere that the world's largest
>> wine company is Constellation Brands, a name totally unfamiliar
>> to me although I did recognize its wine brands.

>Where is "Constellation Brands" based,

NY.

>and what are its wine
>brands?

As you can imagine, they do a lot of bulk wine and sell much of that
to Gallo.

Some names that come under the Constellation umbrella a

Taylor, Almaden, Arbor Mist, Blackstone, Hardys, Ravenswood and
Stowells of Chelsea. They also do many other wines, spirits and beer.

Gallo is the largest producer in the US with well over half the
market.

If this type of thing interest you, a good book that describes these
companies and the behind the scenes workings is "The Wrath of Grapes"
by Lewis Purdue. It's a bit dated now, but still interesting.

On the original topic, cork taint (TCA) does not always reside in the
cork and can come from exposure in the cellars.

clyde

Michael Pronay 06-11-2003 05:23 PM

Clyde Gill > wrote:

>>> I was surprised to find out elsewhere that the world's largest
>>> wine company is Constellation Brands, a name totally
>>> unfamiliar to me although I did recognize its wine brands.

>>Where is "Constellation Brands" based,

> NY.

Thank you.

>>and what are its wine brands?

> As you can imagine, they do a lot of bulk wine and sell much of
> that to Gallo.

I didn't imagine anything, never having heard of Constellation and
ignoring their whereabouts.

> Some names that come under the Constellation umbrella a
>
> Taylor, Almaden, Arbor Mist, Blackstone, Hardys, Ravenswood and
> Stowells of Chelsea. They also do many other wines, spirits and
> beer.
>
> Gallo is the largest producer in the US with well over half the
> market.

Pardon me, but how can Gallo be US's largest producer when
Constellation is even bigger? There seems to be a logic that
escapes me.

> On the original topic, cork taint (TCA) does not always reside
> in the cork and can come from exposure in the cellars.

Yes, but then it will not infect bottles as randomly, as does TCA
in corks.

M.

Dale Williams 06-11-2003 05:36 PM

Gallo Confirms Tainted Wine

In article >, Michael Pronay >
writes:

>Pardon me, but how can Gallo be US's largest producer when
>Constellation is even bigger? There seems to be a logic that
>escapes me.

Constellation is world's largest , because they own BRL Hardy's now (big Oz
producer). So while they are largest US-based producer, Gallo is actually
largest producer of US wines.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply

Michael Pronay 06-11-2003 05:45 PM

amnspam (Dale Williams) wrote:

>>Pardon me, but how can Gallo be US's largest producer when
>>Constellation is even bigger? There seems to be a logic that
>>escapes me.

> Constellation is world's largest , because they own BRL Hardy's
> now (big Oz producer). So while they are largest US-based
> producer, Gallo is actually largest producer of US wines.

Thank you for clarification.

M.

Clyde Gill 06-11-2003 06:06 PM

Gallo Confirms Tainted Wine

>> As you can imagine, they do a lot of bulk wine and sell much of
>> that to Gallo.

>I didn't imagine anything, never having heard of Constellation and
>ignoring their whereabouts.

Without any prior knowledge of your knowledge, I'd imagine that you
would be able to imagine that the worlds largest producer of wine
dealt with bulk wines and also dealt with the largest producer in the
US. But I've been told more than once that I have a wild imagination.

>> On the original topic, cork taint (TCA) does not always reside
>> in the cork and can come from exposure in the cellars.

>Yes, but then it will not infect bottles as randomly, as does TCA
>in corks.

Bottle variation could occur if the TCA was introduced in the bottling
process, which is one of the more likely sources of contamination,
given the intricacy and general nature of the operation plus the
timing of the exposure.

If TCA is introduced to the wine while in bulk (very possible), it
usually is detected before the bottling process, though it can have a
nasty tendency to progress with time, especially while *in* the
bottle.

clyde

Mark Willstatter 06-11-2003 11:02 PM

Michael Pronay > wrote in message >...
> amnspam (Dale Williams) wrote:
>
> >>Pardon me, but how can Gallo be US's largest producer when
> >>Constellation is even bigger? There seems to be a logic that
> >>escapes me.

> > Constellation is world's largest , because they own BRL Hardy's
> > now (big Oz producer). So while they are largest US-based
> > producer, Gallo is actually largest producer of US wines.

> Thank you for clarification.
>
> M.

You may also know them better as Canandaigua - they only changed the
name to Constellation a few years back, about the same time they
started their acquisition spree. Once they started buying quality
producers like Ravenswood, I suspect they wanted to lose the
Canandaigua association with sweet wines from New York.

- Mark W.

Xyzsch 07-11-2003 02:12 AM

Gallo Confirms Tainted Wine

Michael

This is the old Canandaigua Wine, headquartered in Fairport, NY. I know this
because I grew up in Fairport. They have gotten big by acquiring a large number
of wine brands over the years. I believe that started out by making NYS
sparkling wines.

Tom Schellberg

Jim 07-11-2003 04:19 AM

Gallo Confirms Tainted Wine

(Xyzsch) adds....

>This is the old Canandaigua Wine, headquartered in Fairport, NY. I know this

because I grew up in Fairport.<

Then I'll bet you miss Casa Larga, just up the hill from Crud Corners?

When you said last year you were from the area, I had no idea how close.

My Dad retired to Fairport Village and we'll be headed back there in a few
months for the first time in about 2 years.

After a few good fish frys out Macedon & Lyons way and a couple of plates of
greens and beans w/a few Twelve Horse draughts at the Northside Inn, we'll be
ready for a long shopping spree at Georgetown Liquors, with a swing by pillage
at Wegmans for good measure.

Small world indeed.....

Always here for my fellow syngraphist or oenophile.
--=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=----=*=--

Michael Pronay 07-11-2003 06:52 AM

(Mark Willstatter) wrote:

>> > Constellation is world's largest ...

> You may also know them better as Canandaigua - they only changed
> the name to Constellation a few years back, about the same time
> they started their acquisition spree. Once they started buying
> quality producers like Ravenswood, I suspect they wanted to lose
> the Canandaigua association with sweet wines from New York.

That helps even more, thank you.

M.

Michael Pronay 07-11-2003 06:55 AM

Clyde Gill > wrote:

>>> As you can imagine, they do a lot of bulk wine and sell much
>>> of that to Gallo.

>>I didn't imagine anything, never having heard of Constellation
>>and ignoring their whereabouts.

> Without any prior knowledge of your knowledge, I'd imagine that
> you would be able to imagine that the worlds largest producer of
> wine dealt with bulk wines and also dealt with the largest
> producer in the US. But I've been told more than once that I
> have a wild imagination.

Absolutely. Without any prior knowledge I'd imagine the world's
largest producer in the world's largest wine producing countries,
France or Italy.

M.

07-11-2003 05:31 PM

Gallo Confirms Tainted Wine

Jim > wrote:
: (Xyzsch) adds....

:>This is the old Canandaigua Wine, headquartered in Fairport, NY. I know this
: because I grew up in Fairport.<

: After a few good fish frys out Macedon & Lyons way and a couple of plates of
: greens and beans w/a few Twelve Horse draughts at the Northside Inn, we'll be
: ready for a long shopping spree at Georgetown Liquors, with a swing by pillage
: at Wegmans for good measure.

Jim -- Georgetown Liquors? Is this what the old House of Bacchus in
Georgetown Plaza is calling themselves these days? Swinging through
Syracuse by any chance?

Mark S

Jim 08-11-2003 04:39 AM

Gallo Confirms Tainted Wine

asks....

>Jim -- Georgetown Liquors? Is this what the old House of Bacchus in Georgetown

Plaza is calling themselves these days?<

Nah, Georgetown Plaza is out on Ridge Road in Rochester and that's the House of
Bacchus.

Georgetown Liquors is in a strip plaza in Fairport at the corner of Mosley &
31. Very heavy wine inventory for the area. Not Century Liquors by any means,
but hey, how much selection do you need to stay amused for a few weeks?

>Swinging through Syracuse by any chance?<

Through as in "by" on the Thruway, if we fly into Newark, visit some friends
and family in NJ and Manhattan and drive up. Otherwise no. We fly straight into
Rochester. I've got more family out near Sodus, but that's about it as close as
we get to The Orange.

Why do you ask? Did I borrow a dollar from you once.............8^)

Sad Dad 08-11-2003 08:02 AM

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 12:06:49 -0600, Clyde Gill > wrote:

>>> As you can imagine, they do a lot of bulk wine and sell much of
>>> that to Gallo.

>>I didn't imagine anything, never having heard of Constellation and
>>ignoring their whereabouts.

>Without any prior knowledge of your knowledge, I'd imagine that you
>would be able to imagine that the worlds largest producer of wine
>dealt with bulk wines and also dealt with the largest producer in the
>US. But I've been told more than once that I have a wild imagination.
>

>>> On the original topic, cork taint (TCA) does not always reside
>>> in the cork and can come from exposure in the cellars.

>>Yes, but then it will not infect bottles as randomly, as does TCA
>>in corks.

>Bottle variation could occur if the TCA was introduced in the bottling
>process, which is one of the more likely sources of contamination,
>given the intricacy and general nature of the operation plus the
>timing of the exposure.
>
>If TCA is introduced to the wine while in bulk (very possible), it
>usually is detected before the bottling process, though it can have a
>nasty tendency to progress with time, especially while *in* the
>bottle.
>
>clyde

http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Da...5,2240,00.html

Article states that the likely source was a Chlorine based cleaning
agent used at Gallo's Dry Creek Valley cellar.

It also mentions that the TCA was in the range of 2-6 parts per
trillion for the affected bottles - which Gallo claim is undetectable
by most palates?

Bill Spohn 08-11-2003 03:31 PM

Gallo Confirms Tainted Wine

>It also mentions that the TCA was in the range of 2-6 parts per
>trillion for the affected bottles - which Gallo claim is undetectable
>by most palates?

I don't imagine it would be detectable by anyone's _palate_, though they might
well pick it up by nose......

Thomas Hornikel 09-11-2003 04:49 AM

Gallo Confirms Tainted Wine

I am not going to bash Gallo. I did plenty of that in the eighties, when
they deserved it. But this current media play does not bode well with me...

http://ptcl.chem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/TR/2,...roanisole.html

Do you want to drink this?

Tom In CTown

Vizzion 09-11-2003 09:54 AM

Gallo Confirms Tainted Wine

I`m not going to bash gallow either.... but, I`m definitely not
going to buying their brands for the forseeable future.... not even if
they were to put all their wine on sale at half price....

I find that the store I was buying the wine at is mostly gallo made
wines of different lables.... even some of their moderately priced
wines like gallo of sanoma.... cabernet.... which is to be one of
gallos better wines... but still had some yuck taste....

And though I am new to wine drinking, I did notice that all those wines
had an off taste..... I`m glad to hear that it was the wine and not my
taste buds......

Fortunately, I have found some other low priced wines without that off
taste.... Livingston cab under five dollars u.s.....
Good for an everyday wine for me.... It doesn`t have that gallo off
taste... so I hope that it isn`t a gallo wine under a different
lable..... end of ramble....

Scooter 11-11-2003 07:01 PM

(Vizzion) wrote in message >...

> Fortunately, I have found some other low priced wines without that off
> taste.... Livingston cab under five dollars u.s.....
> Good for an everyday wine for me.... It doesn`t have that gallo off
> taste... so I hope that it isn`t a gallo wine under a different
> lable..... end of ramble....

If it was "Livingston Cellars", then yes, it is a Gallo Wine. One of
their production wineries is located in Livingston, CA. I believe the
label depicts the main building in Modesto tho'.

Vizzion 12-11-2003 11:05 AM

Gallo Confirms Tainted Wine

I had already bought a second bottle of Livingston cab, and it was
almost undrinkable..... but, managed to gulp most of it down.... It
must have been that tca musty old thing going on..... Thank you for
the info about it being a gallo wine....

I thought I would try a different red, so I bought a Paul Vella merlot
in a five liter box... 11.99 usd..... It should last a month after
opening without oxidating....

Since recently beginning with wine, I had only bought cabernets.... So
I thought it was time to branch out... to other reds....

The vella merlot isn`t bad.... I am swirling and sipping some as I
type.... There is some black cherry, and grape taste... light and
pleasant.... and sweet.... does not seem to have much of an alcohol
kick or content...

I will have to test it against other merlots.... but with five liters
in the fridge it may take a few days...... to finish.... but, I do seem
to enjoy this better than the cabs that I have had already tried......

Scooter 13-11-2003 03:29 AM

Gallo Confirms Tainted Wine

<<snip>>

> I thought I would try a different red, so I bought a Paul Vella merlot
> in a five liter box... 11.99 usd..... It should last a month after
> opening without oxidating....

Do you mean "Peter Vella"? That's a gallo product also...