J Derby

Default Online New Jersey Retailers?

I am in need of some decent wine, which is difficult at best to
acquire in my lovely state (Utah). Wine is only distributed in
state-run stores, and as such, storage is a serious concern. I want
Champagne and white Burg, both of which fade quickly in poor
conditions...which leaves my only option as mail order. Utah has
strict laws, and most will not ship here because of that, save NJ. I
am aware of popswine and supercellars, but have any of you tried
others that have worked out? I am interested in selection, but more
importantly storage quality, and lastly price. Thank you.
Dale Williams

In article >,
(J Derby) writes:

>I am in need of some decent wine, which is difficult at best to
>acquire in my lovely state (Utah). Wine is only distributed in
>state-run stores, and as such, storage is a serious concern. I want
>Champagne and white Burg, both of which fade quickly in poor
>conditions...which leaves my only option as mail order. Utah has
>strict laws, and most will not ship here because of that, save NJ. I
>am aware of popswine and supercellars, but have any of you tried
>others that have worked out? I am interested in selection, but more
>importantly storage quality, and lastly price. Thank you.

Forgive a slight quibble, but Pops is actually in NY.

I have done online ordering from 3 NJ retailers:
Gary's (garyswine.com will lead you to Wine Access) - ok prices, never heard
any concerns re storage (Madison store is cool during summer), can be good
deals if sale items or w/mixed case discounts. Probably best selection of
Burgundy overall (though come to think of it I've mostly bought reds there)

Wine Library (winelibrary.com) - I've bought older bottles, no problems. Same
general price structure as Garys. A little more oriented towards hot "points"
wines.

Supercellars- I tried based on a rec here. Got a mixed case. '97 Chablis
showed no storage issues. I've heard someone say they were leery of their
storage, but no bottles I've seen show issues.

Bertinelli's is supposed to be good, I've never tried.

I agree re white Burg and Champagne being most delicate. I buy80 % of my white
burg and 90% of my Champagne at Rochambeau, as it's local and I have 100%
confidence in them.

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
CigarLawyer

Dale:

I second your recommendation of Garyswine.com. Good selection, good prices,
good storage.

If you're actually in NJ, Glendale can't be beat.

Marc
Marc Goldstone
Paramedic and Attorney Extraordinaire (Both. Really. Just ask my mom!)
"I don't have to chase ambulances ... I get to ride in them!"
"Sure, I may be in the service of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial."
Jaime Raskulinecz

I agree about Gary's, although sometime's pricing is an issue there. Wine
Libray is great and good storage.

Actually it's Bertelli's and they have a web site also. They are gopod,
although the store is sometimes warm in summer. I have had no problems with
any wines purchased from them. However, I think I have always purchased new
releases.

--
Jaime Raskulinecz

"Dale Williams" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> (J Derby) writes:
>

> >I am in need of some decent wine, which is difficult at best to
> >acquire in my lovely state (Utah). Wine is only distributed in
> >state-run stores, and as such, storage is a serious concern. I want
> >Champagne and white Burg, both of which fade quickly in poor
> >conditions...which leaves my only option as mail order. Utah has
> >strict laws, and most will not ship here because of that, save NJ. I
> >am aware of popswine and supercellars, but have any of you tried
> >others that have worked out? I am interested in selection, but more
> >importantly storage quality, and lastly price. Thank you.

> Forgive a slight quibble, but Pops is actually in NY.
>
> I have done online ordering from 3 NJ retailers:
> Gary's (garyswine.com will lead you to Wine Access) - ok prices, never

heard
> any concerns re storage (Madison store is cool during summer), can be good
> deals if sale items or w/mixed case discounts. Probably best selection of
> Burgundy overall (though come to think of it I've mostly bought reds

there)

> Wine Library (winelibrary.com) - I've bought older bottles, no problems.

Same
> general price structure as Garys. A little more oriented towards hot

"points"
> wines.
>
> Supercellars- I tried based on a rec here. Got a mixed case. '97 Chablis
> showed no storage issues. I've heard someone say they were leery of their
> storage, but no bottles I've seen show issues.
>
> Bertinelli's is supposed to be good, I've never tried.
>
> I agree re white Burg and Champagne being most delicate. I buy80 % of my

white
> burg and 90% of my Champagne at Rochambeau, as it's local and I have

100%
> confidence in them.
>

> Dale
>
> Dale Williams
> Drop "damnspam" to reply

J Derby

I (J Derby) wrote:
> I live in Utah. Kill me, please!
> Anyone know of NJ distributors?

Sadly, gary's... does not deliver to UT, nor does winelibrary. Only
Bertelli's, which I was unaware of, and supercellars, for the record.
If any other states or specific vendors are known to ship here, I'm
all ears--er, eyes. Thanks for the info so far...

Dale Williams

In article >,
(J Derby) writes:

>Sadly, gary's... does not deliver to UT, nor does winelibrary. Only
>Bertelli's, which I was unaware of, and supercellars, for the record.
>If any other states or specific vendors are known to ship here, I'm
>all ears--er, eyes. Thanks for the info so far...

I'm afraid you might have to go the slow method of contacting individual
stores. A lot use the "it's your responsibility to know your state's laws, you
take possessionin our state, we just facilitate the shipping."

A little while back I posted following:

a few profiles of reputable websites:

Chambers St Wines (
http://chambersstwines.com/) : NYC based retailer
(1-212-227-1434) , I shop there in person so don't use mailorder. But others
do, and consistently rave about service and selection on the various wine
boards. IMHO, one of top places (the top?) in country for wines that are
ignored by Parker, WS et al - extremely deep in Loire, South of France, etc.
Better German and Austrian selections than most. Very knowledgable staff, good
prices. Good recommendations - if they tell you the Brun Terres Dorres
Beaujolais is what you're looking for, try it!

Premier Cru (premiercru.net)- sometimes out of stock of things they say they
have, but often probably best prices in country for Burgundy, Bordeaux, Rhone-
esp. older stuff. US too. Not a place for advice.

Zachy's (zachys.com) prices range from really good to REALLY bad. But
cherry-picking can lead to some bargains, if you time their sales.

I don't use as much, but Garagiste.com, Sam's in Chicago, K & L in Bay Area,
Brentwood (but watch auctions- I learned from bitter experience than S & H
charges can make expensive if you only get a few bottles), Winex in Orange
County are all worth trying. Ditto Wine Library and Gary's Wine in NJ.

Places I had a problem: Garnet and Pops. Others love them both. Hell, someone
even has been posting love paeans re Crossroads in NYC on another board, a
place I regard as more a Wine-oven than Wine-Store.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Liquorama

Well, I have read alot of the replies. This one is interesting. Could
someone please email me an application to be on the "reputable websites"
list. You can find us at www.liquorama.net.
--
Thank you,
Dave

"Dale Williams" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> (J Derby) writes:
>
> >Sadly, gary's... does not deliver to UT, nor does winelibrary. Only
> >Bertelli's, which I was unaware of, and supercellars, for the record.
> >If any other states or specific vendors are known to ship here, I'm
> >all ears--er, eyes. Thanks for the info so far...

> I'm afraid you might have to go the slow method of contacting individual
> stores. A lot use the "it's your responsibility to know your state's laws,

you
> take possessionin our state, we just facilitate the shipping."
>
> A little while back I posted following:
>
> a few profiles of reputable websites:
>
> Chambers St Wines (
http://chambersstwines.com/) : NYC based retailer
> (1-212-227-1434) , I shop there in person so don't use mailorder. But

others
> do, and consistently rave about service and selection on the various wine
> boards. IMHO, one of top places (the top?) in country for wines that are
> ignored by Parker, WS et al - extremely deep in Loire, South of France,

etc.
> Better German and Austrian selections than most. Very knowledgable staff,

good
> prices. Good recommendations - if they tell you the Brun Terres Dorres
> Beaujolais is what you're looking for, try it!
>
> Premier Cru (premiercru.net)- sometimes out of stock of things they say

they
> have, but often probably best prices in country for Burgundy, Bordeaux,

Rhone-
> esp. older stuff. US too. Not a place for advice.
>
> Zachy's (zachys.com) prices range from really good to REALLY bad. But
> cherry-picking can lead to some bargains, if you time their sales.
>
> I don't use as much, but Garagiste.com, Sam's in Chicago, K & L in Bay

Area,
> Brentwood (but watch auctions- I learned from bitter experience than S & H
> charges can make expensive if you only get a few bottles), Winex in Orange
> County are all worth trying. Ditto Wine Library and Gary's Wine in NJ.
>
> Places I had a problem: Garnet and Pops. Others love them both. Hell,

someone
> even has been posting love paeans re Crossroads in NYC on another board, a
> place I regard as more a Wine-oven than Wine-Store.
> Dale
>
> Dale Williams
> Drop "damnspam" to reply

J Derby

"Liquorama" > wrote in message news:<bj5rb.672

> Well, I have read alot of the replies. This one is interesting. Could
> someone please email me an application to be on the "reputable websites"
> list. You can find us at www.liquorama.net.

Here it is:

1. Are you well known by the online wine community?

2. Are you established, or another fly-by-night e-shop?

3. Are you frequented by many, with little complaint?

4. Is your selection exceptional, with respect to depth and breadth?

5. Do you store and ship wine safely?

6. Do you ship to Utah (OP's concern...that's me)?
Liquorama

"J Derby" > wrote in message om...
> "Liquorama" > wrote in message news:<bj5rb.672
>
> > Well, I have read alot of the replies. This one is interesting. Could
> > someone please email me an application to be on the "reputable websites"
> > list. You can find us at www.liquorama.net.

> Here it is:
>
> 1. Are you well known by the online wine community?

I'd like to think so......There must be someone inthe GROUP that knows us....Dick are you here???

> 2. Are you established, or another fly-by-night e-shop?

Have had online presence since April '01, and I am backed by a 10,000 sq foot retail store established since 1970-something.

> 3. Are you frequented by many, with little complaint?

I am the complaint department, and that is correct, there are few complaints. More to do with UPS delivery issues than our service and quality.

> 4. Is your selection exceptional, with respect to depth and breadth?

Approx. 3,500 items offered. More than 500 Cabernets, 300 Chardonnays, and 150 Merlots. Admitting that our Import selection is a little weak, but the owner has recently brought in a wine buyer, something the owner did himself in the past.

> 5. Do you store and ship wine safely?

Yes, the wine is stored properly. Our older wines are under lock and key in a temperature controlled environment. Shipping in foam stand-up shippers via UPS.

> 6. Do you ship to Utah (OP's concern...that's me)?

Are there really shipping rules that we need to adhere to? If so, I better clean my desk and find my rule book!
--
Thank you,
Dave
Dale Williams

In article >, "Liquorama"
> writes:

>I have read alot of the replies. This one is interesting. Could
>someone please email me an application to be on the "reputable websites"
>list. You can find us at

Well, Dave, I think a careful reader wuld be clearly able to see this was MY
list.Just my personal opinions. To make that list, I have to order from you
(based on recs from friends, mostly). I tend NOT to order from those that post
commercial posts recommending their own sites to newsgroups I frequent. If
someone posted regular opinions, with their affilation in their sig, I'd be
likely to try them. But not someone who only toots their own horn.

You did get me to look at your site. Some good prices, some not so good. But
listing Chinon as red Burgundy, Bernkasteler Doctor w/o producer, etc. does not
breed confidence.

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply

Are lids for cooking pots being sold by retailers? Yes General Cooking 17 10-11-2011 02:10 AM
Tea Retailers in Ontario Maxim Voronov Tea 9 09-11-2005 12:24 PM
Online retailers Chris Sprague Wine 10 18-01-2005 06:27 AM
Online retailers Chris Sprague Wine 0 13-01-2005 04:22 AM
UK - Tea retailers online ? nickwarren Tea 0 20-12-2004 10:07 PM