Dale Williams

Default TN: CCR, Austrian Muscat, Brunelli

On Halloween my little town shuts down the streets through the business
district , and the kids trick or treat the businesses before they have a parade
for costume judging. Lots of fun, but leads to a long day. Betsy helped me give
out an absolute s$%6load of candy, then we headed home. And hour or so dealing
with the neighborhood trick or treaters, then off to an Italian restaurant for
a surprise 5th anniversary party for friends. Their Halloween wedding was one
of the more colorful events in my memory, so I was glad to go to the
celebration(even if theme was silly hats- Betsy made me a pretty credible
turban).

The wine list was stronger on whites (some credible Friulians and Arneis, etc).
than reds. But as the lamb called out to me and the duck called Betsy, I
ordered the 1999 Monsanto Chianti Classico Riserva (fairly priced at $38 on the
list). Ripe raspberry fruit, moderate new oak, a little soft for a 1999. Decent
finish, with some air a little earth. OK, a decent match with the lamb, B.
Although 3 others took a glass, most folks were having martinis, etc. So for
bottle #2, knowing some would get left, I went for the lowest priced red on the
list, the always dependable 2000 Monte Antico ($18, about 2.5 X retail).
Actually, I liked about as much as the CCR. An nice layer of damp earth under
the cherry and red berry fruit, balanced acidity, some oak flavors but not
intrusive. There was one year I didn't like ('97? '98?), but overall this is
always a good value in Tuscan reds. B

Saturday night a couple of whites with a pasta with scallops, fresh tomatoes,
and tarragon. First up was the 2001 Heidi Schrock Muscat from Austria. I had
found this for $10 in Zachys closeout bin, had picked up as Betsy likes dry
muscat (and I find it a good asparagus accompaniment). Opened as an aperitif,
carried over into the meal. Very perfumed nose of wildflowers and clover honey.
Dry, light, with moderate acidity. There was good musky fruit, but with a funny
nutty/sherry overtone. I kept alternating between thinking it was slightly
damaged and not. One sip I'd think "oxidized" and the next "nah, it's fine".
Also tried a glass of an already opened Riesling, the 2002 Leitz "Dragonstone"
(Rüdesheim Drachenstein) Qba (Rheingau). Sweet but with a big dose of acidity
to balance, great white fruit flavors, long finish, B+ and a helluva deal at
$9.

Earlier that afternoon, had traveled to Zachy's to pick up some wines I ordered
from their sale last week. Could I pass up the tasting table? Nope. Some
Tuscans, mostly '98 Brunelli with a few Super Tuscans and Rossos. I limited
myself to a few wines:

2001 Ciacci Piccolomini "Fonte Ciacci" Rosso di Montalcino (19.99)
Medium bodied, ripe red fruit, forgetable B-

1998 Ciacci Piccolomini "Pianrosso" Brunello di Montalcino (39.99)
Soft, fruity, ripe dark fruit. Pleasant wine, would be a great $20 Rosso. B

1999 Ciacci Piccolomini "Pianrosso" Brunello di Montalcino (sample)
Hey, this is more like it. More structured, masculine, powerful. Assuming no
big price increases this might be one to buy. A-?

1998 Le Macioche Brunello di Montalcino ($34.99)
Ripe fruit, some tannins and spice. B

1998 Tiezzi Brunello di Montalcino ($35.99)
Dark cherry fruit, a little cedar and earth. B/B+

1998 Collosorbo Brunello di Montalcino ($39.99)
Soft and easy B

I skipped a few Brunellos, including the 1998 Uccelliera which is still my
favorite '98 I've tasted to date. Overall the vintage seems to be somewhat soft
and fruity, probably early drinking. It's hard for me to get enthused at
spending $35-40 for a early drinking Sangiovese. I'm in what seems to be a tiny
minority than thinks the '95s are the finest Brunellos since '90 - though the
'99s might change my mind, if more are like what the Ciacci Piccolomini showed
at this early stage.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a pretty easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B
a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party
where it was only choice.

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Mark Lipton

Dale Williams wrote:

> On Halloween my little town shuts down the streets through the business
> district , and the kids trick or treat the businesses before they have a parade
> for costume judging. Lots of fun, but leads to a long day. Betsy helped me give
> out an absolute s$%6load of candy, then we headed home. And hour or so dealing
> with the neighborhood trick or treaters, then off to an Italian restaurant for
> a surprise 5th anniversary party for friends. Their Halloween wedding was one
> of the more colorful events in my memory, so I was glad to go to the
> celebration(even if theme was silly hats- Betsy made me a pretty credible
> turban).

I'm trying to picture your ponytail protruding from the back of a turban -- quite
an image! Of course, since I had a long black wig on as part of my Ozzy Osbourne
costume (the only other part being a pair of shaded granny glasses) I have no room
to talk... ;-)

> The wine list was stronger on whites (some credible Friulians and Arneis, etc).
> than reds. But as the lamb called out to me and the duck called Betsy, I
> ordered the 1999 Monsanto Chianti Classico Riserva (fairly priced at $38 on the
> list). Ripe raspberry fruit, moderate new oak, a little soft for a 1999. Decent
> finish, with some air a little earth. OK, a decent match with the lamb, B.
> Although 3 others took a glass, most folks were having martinis, etc. So for
> bottle #2, knowing some would get left, I went for the lowest priced red on the
> list, the always dependable 2000 Monte Antico ($18, about 2.5 X retail).
> Actually, I liked about as much as the CCR. An nice layer of damp earth under
> the cherry and red berry fruit, balanced acidity, some oak flavors but not
> intrusive. There was one year I didn't like ('97? '98?), but overall this is
> always a good value in Tuscan reds. B

Aha!! And here I was thinking CCR == "Creedence Clearwater Revival"...

Interesting notes, Dale. Thanks!
Mark Lipton

TN: SOBER meets Baroli, Brunelli, Shiraz, and Champagne DaleW Wine 1 29-11-2006 08:57 PM
Muscat Canelli John Fouts Winemaking 1 30-09-2006 11:46 PM
Austrian Dry Muscat on the Saveur 100 [email protected] Wine 2 13-01-2006 05:10 AM
Muscat Canelli Greg Boyd Winemaking 1 18-08-2005 07:56 AM
what are "muscat" notes? philosopher Tea 10 07-11-2004 09:12 AM