Keri Litchhult

Default Inherited German wine

Hello, all!

My grandfather just passed and I inherited a bottle of German white. Could
somebody tell me if this is worth hanging onto, or just drinking?? The label
is as follows:

"Rheinhessen 1959 Liebfraumilch- white rhinewine"
Bottled by Peter Wenner, Bernkastel,Germany

From what I understand '59 was a good tear for German wines, but
Liebfraumilch, not such a great varietal. Is this correct? Should I save it?
I'd appreciate any help.

thanks................Ker

Ken Sternberg

I don't believe this wine was made for the long haul, so open it and
see what it's like. Don't expect anything, though.

"Keri Litchhult" > wrote in message nk.net>...
> Hello, all!
>
> My grandfather just passed and I inherited a bottle of German white. Could
> somebody tell me if this is worth hanging onto, or just drinking?? The label
> is as follows:
>
> "Rheinhessen 1959 Liebfraumilch- white rhinewine"
> Bottled by Peter Wenner, Bernkastel,Germany
>
> From what I understand '59 was a good tear for German wines, but
> Liebfraumilch, not such a great varietal. Is this correct? Should I save it?
> I'd appreciate any help.
>
> thanks................Ker

RobertsonChai

Ken says,

>I don't believe this wine was made for the long haul, so open it and
>see what it's like. Don't expect anything, though.

Right.

But you may be surprised. Some of the cheaper German wines, after ageing, are
far more interesting than one might expext.

When my father died, my brother and I had a drunk-fest over his single malt
Scotch collection, dating back to the 1960s (but spirits don't age in the
bottle). It was an incredible experience, cleaning out his storage warehouse,
toasting our beloved father whilst discovering all sorts of genealogical family
relics from a hundred years ago, and getting ourselves toasted in the process.

We had stumbled upon his stash of Scotch, and went on stumbling for several
days after.

But several weeks later, I opened a cheap Piesporter riesling which we had
inherited, vintage 1966, which must have cost all of two dollars at the time of
release, and it was bloody magnificent.

It was if nearly forty years of imperfect cellaring made no difference. The
wine was as clean as the day it was bottled.

The lesson: German rieslings are amongst the most ageworthy of wines. Hard to
believe, because tastewise, they are amongst the most delicate and fragile.

Nonetheless, this wine was rampant with the classic riesling aromas of autumn,
and still youthful in the texture of the mouth and finish. It was absolutely
beautiful; yet admittedly and noticeably of a lesser pedigree.

I have always been one to appreciate a cheap wine and its shortcomings, as long
as it's well-made (and the occasion is casual and care-free). We can't all be
drinking Sunday wines every day of the week.

This 1966 German riesling was a delight. It is a testament to good winemaking
and the tenacity of riesling to survive decades of indifferent cellaring.

Liebfraumilch is several notches down the quality scale, but you might be
amazed at what you find. 1959 was a great year, and the Bernkastel
Liebfraumilch might just be better than what passes today for the same
classification. Enjoy! And let us know how it was.

---Bob