Ken Sternberg

Default 30-31 Oct. Posts Vanished?

Where have they gone? I saw some yesterday. I miss my Garnet Wine post
about J.R. and the welcome exit of David Lillie (who his friends
simply call Dave or Davey).
Ken Sternberg

Yes, I must tip my hat to David's taste in Loire and Rhone wines. I
worked for him at Garnet for two years and I think it's pretty fair to
say that he disliked me from day one, and I disliked him from day two
or three. I never thought he'd ever leave, much less to open his own
shop. I learned from tasting his wines, but I learned a lot more from
tasting Burgundy with J.R.
Dale Williams

Default Garnet (turned briefly into 30-31 Oct. Posts Vanished?)

Website is back up, plus ad in today's NYT. As I though last couple times I
visited, Burgundy section seems to not be as focused as it used to be. A few
good ones mixed in, but lots of big negociant stuff, somewhat off vintages,
spotty producers, etc. My guess is the buyer might have changed. '

One thing that sounded interesting was a '99 Grivot NSG "Charmois" (not a
vineyard I know- 1er?). But it's listed as white. I know Gouges makes a white
NSG, but I'm guessing this is a mistake? I also think a lot of the Domaine
Vincent Girardin stuff they have listed is Maison.

Loire has a couple interesting things (including a Chidaine Montlouis), but not
like it used to be.

But Kunde fans take note- they're selling the Chard at $4.99 bt/$49cs, '99 Cab
at 5.99/54.

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Cwdjrx _

I have had times when posts have not been available. You may see an
answer without a question, etc. People post at several points around the
world and have several different news readers, so this can happen on
nearly any of the Usenet groups from time to time. You can read Usenet
group postings at Google. The next time you are looking for missing
posts, go to Google and click on groups. You can read postings and post
free there. To post, you must have an e-mail address and sign up wth
Google. You do not have to sign up to just read.

My mailbox is always full to avoid spam. To contact me,
erase from my email address. Then add . I
do not check this box every day, so post if you need a quick response.

Mark Lipton

Cwdjrx _ wrote:

> I have had times when posts have not been available. You may see an
> answer without a question, etc. People post at several points around the
> world and have several different news readers, so this can happen on
> nearly any of the Usenet groups from time to time. You can read Usenet
> group postings at Google.

Such behavior has little if anything to do with news reader software.
Rather, it's due to the structure of Usenet itself: articles posted to
Usenet are 'propagated' by passing from news server to news server.
Normally, posts will hit one of the big news servers and their propagation
statistics are fine. Sometimes, however, a post is injected at an isolated
news server with poor propagation statistics, so only selected news servers
will have the post; other reasons for poor propagation can be dodgy
behavior of the Internet in general (courtesy of a Denial of Service attack
on a backbone router or a power outage) or poor uptime of your own news
server. There's also the problem that posts are propagated on the basis
of their Path and Message-ID headers. If someone clumsily forges either
header, a "collision" can occur on Usenet and a legitimate post can be
dropped. Google, like any other news server, has no guarantee of having
all posts to a newsgroup, and will not have any posts made with the
X-No-Archive header set.

HTH
Mark Lipton

Cwdjrx _

Mark Lipton states: "Google, like any other news server, has no
guarantee of having all posts to a newsgroup, and will not have any
posts made with the X-No-Archive header set."

I agree with this. My experience is that often I can find missing posts
at Google. However someone else in a different location might see about
the same set of posts on Google that they are reading with their usual
news reader. Google is worth a try, but we all know that the internet is
a prime example of Murphy's law. I do know that I like the format of my
usual news reader much better than he one at Google. Also, when I post
at Google, it often takes many hours for the post to show up on Google.
However if I go to my usual news reader after making a post at Google, I
often can view the Google post in just a few minutes.