Michael Bartlett

Default Penfolds Grange

Hi all,

I had the 96 of this about a month ago - it was heavan on earth! I've seen
it retail for around £200 - I've got the option to but two bottles for £220.
It states its the 1996/1997 vintage (it states the 45th vintage). I've
always been confused with this dual vintage thing - would this be the 96 or
the 97. And should I get them?

Cheers pleasant weekend drinking
Michael

st.helier

"Michael Bartlett" wrote in message

> I had the 96 of this about a month ago - it was heavan on earth! I've seen
> it retail for around £200 - I've got the option to but two bottles for

£220.
> It states its the 1996/1997 vintage (it states the 45th vintage). I've
> always been confused with this dual vintage thing - would this be the 96

or
> the 97. And should I get them?

Hi Michael

There are only distinct annual vintages of Grange - so I guess your source
is offering both the 96 and 97 vintages.

Of the two, 96 was a very good year, whilst 97 was more "difficult"

98 is regarded as the best yet!!!

Take a look at www.penfolds.com/Grange/grange.html

st.helier

Kieran Dyke

> Hi all,
>
> I had the 96 of this about a month ago - it was heavan on earth! I've seen
> it retail for around £200 - I've got the option to but two bottles for

£220.
> It states its the 1996/1997 vintage (it states the 45th vintage). I've
> always been confused with this dual vintage thing - would this be the 96

or
> the 97. And should I get them?
>
> Cheers pleasant weekend drinking
> Michael

96 and 98 are both phenomenal Granges. 97 was OK, but won't be remembered as
a great year.

I'd say that the 96 Grange is probably worth about $A350, and the 97 Grange
about $A200. (These are the prices I might pay for them, and I'm stingy). If
it's one of each, the price is a good one. If it's 2 96s, just take them. If
it's 2 97s, don't bother.

Tiggrr

grazzc

I think that if you check the bottle carefully the label will say 1996
vintage, bottled 1997. Often people get them confused when describing the
vintage, i guess its penfolds way of saying that it has had in theory at
least 12 months on oak.

grazza

"Michael Bartlett" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I had the 96 of this about a month ago - it was heavan on earth! I've seen
> it retail for around £200 - I've got the option to but two bottles for

£220.
> It states its the 1996/1997 vintage (it states the 45th vintage). I've
> always been confused with this dual vintage thing - would this be the 96

or
> the 97. And should I get them?
>
> Cheers pleasant weekend drinking
> Michael

2007 Penfolds Grange st.helier[_3_] Wine 2 10-05-2012 05:56 PM
Grange David W Wine 18 29-01-2007 10:08 PM
Penfolds Grange 1993 - Selling Rick Wine 2 16-07-2006 12:38 PM
Penfolds Grange 1991 Alex Hayne Wine 3 07-01-2005 03:44 AM
Penfolds Grange 98 sephiroth Wine 9 30-03-2004 11:14 PM