Chris Lake

Default monday tasting

monday evening tasting,

3-Chateau Clark 1990
oranging on the edges, pale in colour. On the nose a light smokey feel, a
little hickory, and red berries. Taste was light with no tannin agression,
easy going but lacking in fruit (we agreed that it is slightly past peak) on
the finale a little black licorice. Nice over all. 36$cad(at the time, he
thinks)

Mondavi 1995 Cabernet Sauvignon
red-orangish edges. over dose of wood on the nose, vanilla, a certain cherry
jam-ness (if that makes any sence), as well as a little spice (couldnt
figure out which one )
slightly linear taste, rustic, lack of finesse,
For some reason while tasting it I thought it to be a Sangiovese from the US
due to the lightness and cherry-ness to it, lack of acidity drove me away
from italy.. but I was wrong. 46$cad

2-Campillo Riserva 1994
Wow black-ness! dark and thick ! concentrated wine
I haven`t often tasted so much torrefaction .petrol, coffee, chocolat,
intense fruit feeling, musky wood, a little cayenne pepper, nice acidity.
I loved it! and I managed to call the region and vintage, next time though
the house will be easy to call. 52$cad

1-Pian Delle Vigne, 1997
One word rings through on this one, Solid but fine.
I am anxious to see how it will be in another 8-10y.
Nice fruit-tannin balance. a cherry dominance with undertones of vanilla,
nice acidity and astringence .
I enjoyed very much. 59$cad

4- Joseph Phelps Napa Cabernet-Sauvignon 1998
solid colour, again a light petrol taste, strawberries confits,
nice tannins, hardly any acidity. I am almost sure this one is not
100%cabernet.. its too light
a nice bottle but a ridiculous price at 64$cad

...Chris

Dale Williams

In article >, "Chris Lake"
> writes:

>Chateau Clark 1990

Is this Clarke, from Listrac?

>1-Pian Delle Vigne, 1997
>One word rings through on this one, Solid but fine.
>I am anxious to see how it will be in another 8-10y.
>Nice fruit-tannin balance. a cherry dominance with undertones of vanilla,
>nice acidity and astringence .
>I enjoyed very much. 59$cad

I liked it too, bought couple. Not sure that it's textbook Brunello, but a nice
wine! Agree re the 8-10.

thanks for the notes!

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Larry

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 12:41:52 -0800, "Chris Lake"
> wrote:

>monday evening tasting,

Chris, was this tasting part of a wine group or at some type of
dinner party ...or did you try these all by yourself ;-)

The prices are much higher than I am willing to spend (unless it's a
special occasion) for my own consumption. I trying to stay about $20
cdn while searching for the 'big red'.

My dilemma. I'm finding good wines at my range but need to ask the
more experienced drinkers. If I start going to another price
level...say $30-$35, will I be pleasantly surprised or let down by the
fact that the extra money did not provide the "bang for your buck"
that one might expect.

I know I should try a $40 California Cab or Amarone or .... but....
What's your opinion about this?

TIA
Larry Stumpf,
S. Ontario,
Canada

Chris Lake

> >monday evening tasting,
>
> Chris, was this tasting part of a wine group or at some type of
> dinner party ...or did you try these all by yourself ;-)

a group of friends, what we do is we organise a night and everyone brings a
bottle.
we then all guess what we are tasting.

> The prices are much higher than I am willing to spend (unless it's a
> special occasion) for my own consumption. I trying to stay about $20
> cdn while searching for the 'big red'.

I don`t spend more than 15-18$ on regular wine
but when it comes to special occasions(these days there seems to be too
many) i do spend a little more.

> My dilemma. I'm finding good wines at my range but need to ask the
> more experienced drinkers. If I start going to another price
> level...say $30-$35, will I be pleasantly surprised or let down by the
> fact that the extra money did not provide the "bang for your buck"
> that one might expect.

you have a budget for wine and i dont suggest over doing it. It depends on
the occasion, enjoy wine at every price range.
10$ wines have there place(and not necessarily in the sink) as do 50$
bottles. understanding wine in all the price ranges will let you appreciate
"a good buy for the buck".

> I know I should try a $40 California Cab or Amarone or .... but....
> What's your opinion about this?

For sure, amarone is worth trying, so is a cali cab at 40$ even at 200$
(just to prove that its not worth it, IMHO. sorry I have my recent tasting
of Dominus 1997-2000 that i didnt enjoy)
taste from all over the world, and all price ranges .. then you will find
yourself in this big mess of juice.

...chris

Chris Lake

"Dale Williams" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Chris Lake"
> > writes:
>
> >Chateau Clark 1990

> Is this Clarke, from Listrac?

yes sorry for the lack of precision

AWS Tasting Zeppo[_2_] Wine 4 23-02-2010 05:38 PM
NYC Tasting Fred Wine 4 07-12-2005 03:48 AM
Tasting [email protected] Wine 25 13-02-2005 01:32 PM
Tasting [email protected] Wine 0 05-02-2005 06:52 PM
Vintage Beer Tasting (no tasting notes, tho') [email protected] Beer 0 04-11-2004 07:21 PM