Ewan

Default Red wine, good *and* famous?

Situation: I'm indebted (ethically, not financially ) to a couple of
friends whom I know to be fans of red wine, and at least one (likely
both) know rather more than I on the topic (ok, not too hard), but I
don't think are real mavens.

I'd like to buy them a bottle or two that will not only _be_ very good,
but will also create that impression/expectation from the moment they
see the name (i.e. should generate the thought 'wow, he's bought me nice
stuff!' ). My initial thoughts were something like Chateau Lafitte,
Petrus, or similar, but that's what I'm asking you folks for . Given
the caveats that this has to be something I can buy now - i.e not some
fantastic rarity - and a price guess of maybe $150ish (USD), thoughts on
wines/years would be most welcome. [As would a pointer to appropriate
links, if that's easier/better].

Thanks - Ewan
Massa Blackadder

Buy them 75 bottles of "two buck chuck." Its famous, it creates a definite
expectation, and many people find it marvelously tolerable.

--
Massa Blackadder

http://www.freechesterdoles.com/

"I wants to be in heaven with all my white folks, just to wait on them
and love them, and serve them, sorta like I did in slavery time. That
will be enough heaven for Adeline."
-- Adeline Johnson, former slave, at age 93.

"Ewan" > wrote in message
> Situation: I'm indebted (ethically, not financially ) to a couple of
> friends whom I know to be fans of red wine, and at least one (likely
> both) know rather more than I on the topic (ok, not too hard), but I
> don't think are real mavens.
>
> I'd like to buy them a bottle or two that will not only _be_ very good,
> but will also create that impression/expectation from the moment they
> see the name (i.e. should generate the thought 'wow, he's bought me nice
> stuff!' ). My initial thoughts were something like Chateau Lafitte,
> Petrus, or similar, but that's what I'm asking you folks for . Given
> the caveats that this has to be something I can buy now - i.e not some
> fantastic rarity - and a price guess of maybe $150ish (USD), thoughts on
> wines/years would be most welcome. [As would a pointer to appropriate
> links, if that's easier/better].
>
> Thanks - Ewan

Kirk-O-Scottland

Fine question and one we see often, and with something as subjective as
wine, you'll see a number of suggestions.

You could certainly quickly spend your $150 with some of the first growth
Bordeauxs, or you could pick some top California cabs as well, such as
Beaulieu Vineyard's Georges de Latour, Joseph Phelps Insignia, or Flora
Springs Trilogy. Those last two are blends like a Bordeaux.

General links:
http://www.intowine.com/
http://www.gmon.com/tech/output.shtml
http://www.wineanorak.com/
http://www.woochi.com/
http://www.winepros.com/
http://www.winetech.com/html/vintchrt.html

Let us know what you get!

"Ewan" > wrote in message
> Situation: I'm indebted (ethically, not financially ) to a couple of
> friends whom I know to be fans of red wine, and at least one (likely
> both) know rather more than I on the topic (ok, not too hard), but I
> don't think are real mavens.
>
> I'd like to buy them a bottle or two that will not only _be_ very good,
> but will also create that impression/expectation from the moment they
> see the name (i.e. should generate the thought 'wow, he's bought me nice
> stuff!' ). My initial thoughts were something like Chateau Lafitte,
> Petrus, or similar, but that's what I'm asking you folks for . Given
> the caveats that this has to be something I can buy now - i.e not some
> fantastic rarity - and a price guess of maybe $150ish (USD), thoughts on
> wines/years would be most welcome. [As would a pointer to appropriate
> links, if that's easier/better].
>
> Thanks - Ewan

D. Gerasimatos

In article >, Ewan > wrote:

>Situation: I'm indebted (ethically, not financially ) to a couple of
>friends whom I know to be fans of red wine, and at least one (likely
>both) know rather more than I on the topic (ok, not too hard), but I
>don't think are real mavens.
>
>I'd like to buy them a bottle or two that will not only _be_ very good,
>but will also create that impression/expectation from the moment they
>see the name (i.e. should generate the thought 'wow, he's bought me nice
>stuff!' ). My initial thoughts were something like Chateau Lafitte,
>Petrus, or similar, but that's what I'm asking you folks for . Given
>the caveats that this has to be something I can buy now - i.e not some
>fantastic rarity - and a price guess of maybe $150ish (USD), thoughts on
>wines/years would be most welcome. [As would a pointer to appropriate
>links, if that's easier/better].

Lafite would be a good choice and has the added bonus that you thought of
it yourself.

Dimitri

Dale Williams

The safest choice would indeed be the First Growth Bordeaux- anyone who's into
wines at all would recognize them. '94 & '99 would be good choices for
vintages in that price range.

We could hone in better if we knew preferences.
If they were more Californiam oriented, Dominus or Phelps Insignia would be the
way I'd go. Most recent vintages run $100, '94s of each probably closer to
$150.

If you knew they liked Burgundy, Mugnier or Roumier 1ers Chambolles or Musigny.
Italy, you could go for Gaja or one of Giacosa's top bottlings.

Tons of choices, depending on their interest.

You're at Yale? If you are interested in pointers towards available stuff,
pretty much all NY stores ship to CT. Try winesearcher.com, or I could suggest
particular stores if you know what you want.

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply

Ewan

Dale Williams wrote:
> You're at Yale? If you are interested in pointers towards available stuff,
> pretty much all NY stores ship to CT. Try winesearcher.com, or I could suggest
> particular stores if you know what you want.

Thanks for the various replies, folks.

Yes, I'm at Yale, but I haven't previously had luck getting shipments
into CT. I'll follow some of the advice here.

Ewan
J Derby

"Massa Blackadder" > wrote in message news:
> Buy them 75 bottles of "two buck chuck."

I think in New Haven, it is more like $3, if available. 75 bottles is
out.

> ...many people find it marvelously tolerable.

Or not. "Rotten Kool-aid" is one term I've heard in reference to it.
I've not personally tried it, so I can't say, but I'd be amazed to
find it drinkable.

However, this would make more sense than spending $150 on a bottle
that's twenty years from being mature, although that doesn't stop many
a rich guy..."98 points on this '00 M-R indeed; wow, is that strong
tannin so tasty!"

John
Elpaninaro

>The safest choice would indeed be the First Growth Bordeaux- anyone who's
>into
>wines at all would recognize them. '94 & '99 would be good choices for
>vintages in that price range.

Agreed.

I would only suggest avoiding 1994 or anything older than 1999 because too many
retailers have old stock of the best wines that have sat out in warm stores too
long. If you are not familiar with these wines, best to stick to more recent
vintages.

Thus I would suggest 1999 and Lafite is a good choice. Chateau Margaux happens
to be absolutely stunning in 1999 and that would be my first suggestion. The
other first growths- Mouton, Haut Brion and Latour- would be good choices as
well. Any wine lover at the higher end will know these names well.

A first growth is also a safe choice. The wine drinker will know what it is and
appreciate the gift. Even if it is not their favorite wine, a first growth
confers a certain "greatness" on a gift- a greatness you wisely alluded to in
your search of the right thing to purchase in this case.

Tom.

PS- Other excellent 1999s that are top names and good gifts would be Pichon
Baron, Lynch Bages and Leoville Barton. All are excellent and all run about
$50-60 while the firsts are in the $120-200 range at this point. Vieux Chateau
Certan from Pomerol is also a very good call at around $100. This is sort of an
insider's wine and highly regarded among serious Bordeaux fans even though it
is not well known to the general public.
Rob

Ewan

I think 1998 is a very interesting year for Bordeaux, for both quality and
price. The St. Emilions and Pomerols (which are mainly merlot) are supposed
to be fantastic. The Medocs (which are on the other side of the river and
consist of mainly cabernet sauvignon) are supposed to be generally less
successful but the first growths were very well reviewed.

I haven't tasted it yet, but I bought a bottle of the 1998 Lafite Rothschild
for USD170 -- it has been very well reviewed. The '98 Mouton Rothschild has
also gotten great reviews and should be available for under USD200. The
1998 Haut-Brion has gotten wonderful reviews but is probably well over
USD200. I've seen both the Latour and the Margaux for under USD200 -- they
have been well review but not like the Lafite, Mouton, or Haut-Brion.

On the other side of the river, the 1998 Chateau Pavie and the 1998
Vieux-Chateau Certan are supposed to be great. I paid around USD100 for
each. You may not be able to find such good prices, but I doubt either is
over USD150.

Robert Parker gave 100 points to the 2000 Chateau Pavie -- I bought a bottle
at Costco for USD190. I agree with Dale about the Gaja and the Giacosa --
you can find a Gaja Barbaresco (not the single vineyard wines) for under
USD200. 1996, 1997, 1998 and 1999 are all great vintages for Gaja. I've
seen Bruno Giacosa's top Barolos for under USD150 -- I think the Rocche del
Falletto is his top Barolo. The 1996, 1997, 1998, and 1999 Giacosas are
supposed to be great but VERY young. I've seen Giacosa's single vineyard
Barbarescos for far less.

These are all really big names and really good wines that would have any red
wine fan practically drooling -- especially if said fan received the bottle
as a gift and didn't have to pay the outrageous prices.

I'd put the Petrus out of your mind -- if you can find the current vintage
(2000) at all, it will probably cost USD1500 to USD2000, or so I've read. I
think most of the 2000 first growths are all around USD400 -- that's why
I've recommended 1998 for Bordeaux.

Good luck,

Rob Adelson

"Ewan" > wrote in message
> Situation: I'm indebted (ethically, not financially ) to a couple of
> friends whom I know to be fans of red wine, and at least one (likely
> both) know rather more than I on the topic (ok, not too hard), but I
> don't think are real mavens.
>
> I'd like to buy them a bottle or two that will not only _be_ very good,
> but will also create that impression/expectation from the moment they
> see the name (i.e. should generate the thought 'wow, he's bought me nice
> stuff!' ). My initial thoughts were something like Chateau Lafitte,
> Petrus, or similar, but that's what I'm asking you folks for . Given
> the caveats that this has to be something I can buy now - i.e not some
> fantastic rarity - and a price guess of maybe $150ish (USD), thoughts on
> wines/years would be most welcome. [As would a pointer to appropriate
> links, if that's easier/better].
>
> Thanks - Ewan

Tom S

"Kirk-O-Scottland" > wrote in message
> You could certainly quickly spend your $150 with some of the first growth
> Bordeauxs, or you could pick some top California cabs as well, such as
> Beaulieu Vineyard's Georges de Latour, Joseph Phelps Insignia, or Flora
> Springs Trilogy.

Good advice. Check Costco. They had the 1999 Phelps Insignia for ~$90 a
couple of weeks ago. Buy two. I'd bet that it kicks ass! (For the benefit
of non-Americans, that's a _good_ thing!) It'll be a good keeper too, for
those of you who are patient. They also had the BV Reserve, for a little
less $$. I didn't see the Flora Springs there.

Tom S

Some good wine Wine Hedonist Wine 8 20-08-2006 06:35 AM
Bad wine, good? zxcvbob Preserving 5 09-01-2005 02:53 AM
Good wine under 10$ Steve Simard Wine 0 21-01-2004 02:59 PM
Good wine Mel Wine 28 20-11-2003 09:08 PM
Are there good websites to learn about Wine / Wine Industry VIJAY Winemaking 0 03-10-2003 06:43 AM