eswason64

Default Inherited Bottles

I recently inherited a few bottles of 1967 Dienheimer Tafelstein Auslese
Cabinet. My grandfather kept a very good cellar and I'm fairly certain it
was stored properly. I don't know much about wine and am trying to learn.
I realize that this is a white, but will this get better with age or should
I drink it? I'd like to save it for my kids if it is worth storing. Many
thanks.
-Erik

Elpaninaro

>I recently inherited a few bottles of 1967 Dienheimer Tafelstein Auslese
>Cabinet. My grandfather kept a very good cellar and I'm fairly certain it
>was stored properly. I don't know much about wine and am trying to learn.
>I realize that this is a white, but will this get better with age or should
>I drink it? I'd like to save it for my kids if it is worth storing. Many
>thanks.
>-Erik

If properly stored, these could still be quite good but are definitely wines to
drink soon.

1967 was not an especially great year for Germany, but I have found that good
Riesling from even the worst vintages can age and hold quite well long term.

If you open one, chill it in the fridge for about 30 minutes first, then decant
and start drinking right away. You never know if this will improve with 1-2
hours of air or fall apart in minutes, but the latter is the more likely
scenario.

In any event, there is a good chance these will still have some quality to them
and I hope you will please post a note when you drink one. I have had a great
many older German vintages, but never a 67!

Take care,

Tom.
eswason64

I will drink it soon and let you know. From the same cellar I received two
bottles of 1961 Chateau Lafon Haut-Sauternes. I drank one with some friends
and it was outstanding. It was almost dark amber in color and the taste was
delicious. Very sweet, but rich.
"Elpaninaro" > wrote in message
> >I recently inherited a few bottles of 1967 Dienheimer Tafelstein Auslese
> >Cabinet. My grandfather kept a very good cellar and I'm fairly certain

it
> >was stored properly. I don't know much about wine and am trying to

learn.
> >I realize that this is a white, but will this get better with age or

should
> >I drink it? I'd like to save it for my kids if it is worth storing.

Many
> >thanks.
> >-Erik

> If properly stored, these could still be quite good but are definitely

wines to
> drink soon.
>
> 1967 was not an especially great year for Germany, but I have found that

good
> Riesling from even the worst vintages can age and hold quite well long

term.

> If you open one, chill it in the fridge for about 30 minutes first, then

decant
> and start drinking right away. You never know if this will improve with

1-2
> hours of air or fall apart in minutes, but the latter is the more likely
> scenario.
>
> In any event, there is a good chance these will still have some quality to

them
> and I hope you will please post a note when you drink one. I have had a

great
> many older German vintages, but never a 67!
>
> Take care,
>
> Tom.

Tom S

"eswason64" > wrote in message
> I recently inherited a few bottles of 1967 Dienheimer Tafelstein Auslese
> Cabinet. My grandfather kept a very good cellar and I'm fairly certain it
> was stored properly. I don't know much about wine and am trying to learn.
> I realize that this is a white, but will this get better with age or

should
> I drink it? I'd like to save it for my kids if it is worth storing.

Drink it _now_, with your wife and kids. Serve them a little, perhaps
watered a bit. Talk about your memories of your grandfather if they were
pleasant. Invent something nice if they weren't. Don't waste this legacy.
It's a _beverage_; not a monument.

Tom S

Bottles Bob Becker Winemaking 15 28-06-2006 09:02 PM
Using beer bottles for Individual serving bottles of wine Brad Winemaking 17 21-06-2006 04:06 AM
I inherited a filter kit, but don't know how to use it... [email protected] Winemaking 2 07-03-2005 10:24 PM
used bottles DONNY TYLER Winemaking 0 28-03-2004 11:37 PM
Inherited German wine Keri Litchhult Wine 2 02-11-2003 02:47 AM