Dark Helmet

Default Good Wine Shops in Pittsburgh?

Title says all. I'll be driving to Pittsburgh this weekend and was thinking
of checking out a shop or two to pick up some bottles, if it makes sense.

Any help is appreciated,

Dark Helmet

Dale Williams

In article > , "Dark Helmet"
> writes:

>Title says all. I'll be driving to Pittsburgh this weekend and was thinking
>of checking out a shop or two to pick up some bottles, if it makes sense.

Isn't PA all state stores?
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
RV WRLee

>Title says all. I'll be driving to Pittsburgh this weekend and was thinking
>of checking out a shop or two to pick up some bottles, if it makes sense.

If you think Ohio has repressive wine laws and huge mark-ups be prepared for a
reality check. PA is totally State controlled and you must purchase wine
through a State Liquor Store where selection is very, very limited and prices
are incredible. If you're going to Pittsburgh just for that reason save your
gas money and go to Sam's in Chicago or across the river in Cinci to Newport Ky
to Jungle Jim's.
Bi!!
enoavidh

"Dark Helmet" > wrote in
. net:

> Title says all. I'll be driving to Pittsburgh this weekend and was
> thinking of checking out a shop or two to pick up some bottles, if it
> makes sense.
>
> Any help is appreciated,
>
> Dark Helmet

It's true, in Pennsylvania, you mostly must buy from state stores, there
are a couple of strange exceptions, but I've never made use of them.
There are three types of state stores, regular, specialty and super
stores. If you come to Pittsburgh, try the Waterworks or Bethel Park
superstores, both of which are open Sundays (I don't know about the other
superstores), or the Oxford Center (downtown) specialty store (not open
Sundays)(the manager is very helpful, but they are expanding right now,
so it's a bit messy), or the Centre Avenue (Shadyside) specialty store
(open Sundays).
Here is a link to the online catalog, unfortunately, you can't determine
which wines are at which stores, and calling the customer service line is
problematic.

http://www.lcb.state.pa.us/Retail/Pr...cb_Default.asp

I understand that the state has opened some border stores with special
pricing, but my guess is that they mostly have special pricing on
spirits, I haven't been.

dolo
No, I don't work for the PLCB, but I live in PA and this is how I buy
wine. Oh, and I got the Guigal CdP 1999 (Wine Spectator WOTY) for
$27.99, when it was going for +$60 in NYC.

Dale Williams

In article >, enoavidh
> writes:

>http://www.lcb.state.pa.us/Retail/Pr...cb_Default.asp
>No, I don't work for the PLCB, but I live in PA and this is how I buy
>wine. Oh, and I got the Guigal CdP 1999 (Wine Spectator WOTY) for
>$27.99, when it was going for +$60 in NYC.

Thanks for clearing up. Looks like there are some decent if not great prices on
current & recent release stuff, not as competitive on older stuff.

Guigal CdP for $60! Someone was really gouging! Park Ave or Union Sq would be
my guess. Even Zachy's was only $35-40 after the WS came out.

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply

Wine shops in Avignon Chris Sprague Wine 6 31-08-2007 02:54 AM
Wine Shops in HK? Mydnight Wine 1 09-08-2007 09:39 PM
Good wine shops in Myrtle Beach ShortStory Wine 3 19-07-2006 06:26 PM
Good Beer Shops in NYC Dave Witzel Beer 2 21-04-2004 06:59 AM
London, good shops for Cognac? AKL General 1 14-04-2004 04:16 PM