Rich R

Default Wine and a buzz

How many people here are <moderate> drinkers. 2-3 glasses of wine a night.
My wine friends are heavy drinkers, a bottle a night. I read an interview
with Robert Parker and he drinks a bottle a day. Here is my theory:

Wine is a credible excuse to drink too much.

Wine is like pot. It is relaxing and makes you hungry and always goes great
with food.

Wine is legal and sociably acceptable. Not like drugs or even cocktails
(martinis)

Rich R.

--
The journey is the reward.

Kirk-O-Scottland

I agree (good excuse to drink). Except, martinis are perfectly acceptable
here! No really, there is a lot more to wine than other spirits. Who can
discuss age, region, fermentation, food pairings, etc., with vodka or rum?

"Rich R" > wrote in message
. com...
> How many people here are <moderate> drinkers. 2-3 glasses of wine a night.
> My wine friends are heavy drinkers, a bottle a night. I read an interview
> with Robert Parker and he drinks a bottle a day. Here is my theory:
>
> Wine is a credible excuse to drink too much.
>
> Wine is like pot. It is relaxing and makes you hungry and always goes

great
> with food.
>
> Wine is legal and sociably acceptable. Not like drugs or even cocktails
> (martinis)
>
> Rich R.
>
> --
> The journey is the reward.

SJP

My wife doesn't drink red, so a bottle for me is an atomic quantity.

On the good side, wine has:
-given me a new hobby
-given me something to talk about with other wine drinkers
-forces moderation due to excessive costs

On the bad side, drinking wine has:
-slightly increased the frequency of drinking
-enormously increased the cost of going out for dinner
-given me an excuse to have a few smokes

Your point is valid, but the rules don't change... Moderation -with
everything- is what's important to keeping things in check.

"Rich R" > wrote in message
. com...
> How many people here are <moderate> drinkers. 2-3 glasses of wine a night.
> My wine friends are heavy drinkers, a bottle a night. I read an interview
> with Robert Parker and he drinks a bottle a day. Here is my theory:
>
> Wine is a credible excuse to drink too much.
>
> Wine is like pot. It is relaxing and makes you hungry and always goes

great
> with food.
>
> Wine is legal and sociably acceptable. Not like drugs or even cocktails
> (martinis)
>
> Rich R.
>
> --
> The journey is the reward.

Massa Blackadder

. com...

http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Ar...275,67,00.html

--
Massa Blackadder

http://www.freechesterdoles.com/

"I wants to be in heaven with all my white folks, just to wait on them
and love them, and serve them, sorta like I did in slavery time. That
will be enough heaven for Adeline."
-- Adeline Johnson, former slave, at age 93.

> Wine is like pot. It is relaxing and makes you hungry and always goes

great
> with food.
>
> Wine is legal and sociably acceptable. Not like drugs or even cocktails
> (martinis)
>
> Rich R.
>
> --
> The journey is the reward.

Dale Williams

Typically wine for us is a beverage for dinner, not a vehicle to a buzz. We
typically drink a half a bottle -possibly a little more -with dinner (me
drinking more like 2 glasses and Betsy one). It's not unusual for us to finish
a bottle though, on nights she is note working.

Two glasses might relax me, but doesn't give me a buzz (I'm about 200 lbs).

That doesn't mean I never get a buzz, or that I don't enjoy it. Certainly on
wine-centric dinner nights the consumption probably reaches a bottle a person,
and I do more than my share. But that's over many hours. Frankly, the thought I
would drink enough to lose control is pretty abhorent to me.

That's one reason I tend to go for the 8% ABV Rieslings, unchaptalized
Beaujolais, etc.

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply

Bill Spohn

>We
>typically drink a half a bottle -possibly a little more -with dinner (me
>drinking more like 2 glasses and Betsy one).

Ah yes - the 'body weight' theory of wine allocation - I adhere to that myself!

We drink a bottle between us every other night or so - the only problem is when
she-who-must-be-obeyed decides that she doesn't feel like any after I've opened
the wine - if it is anything better than a basic level of plonk, I hate to
recork a part bottle, so end up doing it in all by myself.

If it is a wine chosen to complement Kentucky Fried, OTOH, I have no qualm
about sticking the cork back in.....
Vizzion

>Wine is like pot. It is relaxing and makes
> you hungry and always goes great with
> food.

==

Don`t underestimate the value of a good daily buzz.... of a few glasses
of wine......

Red wine has proven to be healthy.... recommended by some doctors....
like an asperin a day.... or an apple a day.....

Wine also relieves stress and tension of daily living..... it is
relaxing...

It is an aid in a good night sleep...

It is healthier than nicotine.... doesn`t have all the cancer causing
stuff....

People who have the alcoholic gene of course should avoid all
drinking...

Fortunately, I`m one who will drink a few glasses a day, at different
times, for the "buzz". but, as most here, avoid overindulgence.... and
even dislike the idea of being "drunk".....

Though I recently started drinking, I have noticed my tolerance to wine
has slowly advanced.... and that I have to drink slightly more than
when I first started to drink wine in order to get that "buzz" state...
but not that much....

The only thing I`m really careful about is that I don`t have to drive
when I reach the "buzz" state.... I like to have all my chores done
that require driving before enjoying a drink of wine.... and time
myself for at least a couple of hours of having wine before needing to
drive.....

My apologies if, I tend to ramble when I`m in a "buzzed" state.....

Hey Buzz BOB[_9_] Barbecue 1 10-04-2008 12:17 AM
Tea Buzz? RB Watts Tea 5 23-08-2004 10:57 PM